PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the BC game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the BC game

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:14 pm

As I'm drying off in the hotel room... here are some thoughts.

- The weather and the field were terrible, as expected. It completely took away any speed advantages that SMU had on either side of the ball.
- The refs let PI go all day long on both sides, but it had a bigger impact on the Mustangs.
- Missed TD in the endzone from Keyshawn was the game changing play.
- We can talk about play calling and the refs all we want, but SMU lost this game on both sides of the line. In those conditions and with that field, everything is about leverage. It is hard to get a foothold to drive players off the ball or defend your ground, and so ultimately pure size wins.
- Their o-line pushed us around in the second half, and our offensive line never got the running game going. When Miller wasn't in the game, the Dl struggled up the middle at times. Levelston not playing today hurt us. The pairing of 98 and 92 struggled at times.
- Early in the year, the SMU offense struggled with consistency because we had a run-first approach and never could pull it off. The offense was explosive once it started to be aggressive in the passing game. This game needed a running approach and we just couldn't get consistently going in the running game.
- I *suspect* there was a lot of RPO, BC had 3 LBs in the box and snuck a safety up, and that is why we would choose the pass option. Throwing 48 times in those conditions is... not great. We needed to stick with more designed run calls. Not sure if it is purely on the coaches or Jennings making bad reads.
- You could see in this game where Jennings hasn't developed his touch throws yet. Overshot the deep ball and the missiles on short passes led to a couple of drops, specifically thinking of the pass to RJ early. Something for him to work on in the offseason.
- The OL really struggled. Not only with run blocking but Bryant was getting beat on the edge a lot in pass protection. Not sure about Osborne on the other side. Some of that was the field/conditions. But you can see where players who were above average in the AAC might be average in the ACC. We certainly need more depth on the OL to roll out new players in a game like that and put pressure on the opposing line.
- Even the BC fans around me were confused about why we were throwing it deep so much. In the first half, Jennings did a great job of checking down. In the second half, he was under a lot more pressure in the backfield and the game switched to scramble and huck the ball deep. One of the last third down plays, he created space, and had the chance to run for the first down and also had a wide open receiver to his left, but he just threw it long and overthrew his WR by several yards. Part of it is a young QB, but he was rattled by the pass rush.
- Defensively, our blitzing killed us, especially in the first half. Castellanos would just read the blitz and run right past it for huge yardage.
- I thought the BC OC called a fantastic game. He had several misdirection calls to take advantage of how we swarm to the football. In the AAC, the opposing OL couldn't hold our DL back long enough to allow a play to develop. In this game, they were able to buy enough time to make the misdirection successful. It shows how dominance on the line can allow your entire team to play a certain way, and when they aren't as dominant it exposes some gaps.

Look, the field today negates a lot of what this teem is built on - speed and athleticism. Players like Rooster, Wheaton, and Daniels become non-factors on offense, and our LBs and safeties struggled more than usual on defense. It happens. Ironically enough, I was talking with some of the player parents at the event last night about how those conditions cost the Cowboys their third straight superbowl when they had to play the 49ers in a muddy game in the NFC Championships.

It is a bummer, but it happens. It doesn't take away from a great, championship season by the players and the coaches. I loved watching the team this year, and loved winning a conference title. I'm excited to head into the ACC next season.

Looking forward, a game like this gives us an opportunity to learn and become a better team heading into next season. We need more OL and we need DTs to replace Miller as a true NG to be able to play in these type of conditions against ACC teams. The weather and missing Stone were both huge, huge factors today. But we also need to recognize that our offense struggled against OU, TCU, Tulane, and BC, and while some of that is related to Stone's inexperience early and Jenning's inexperience late, the fact is that we have some improvements to make on the OL and we are missing a top WR in order to really compete at the ACC level.

The new additions to the OL are going to help, but we need either the new WR or Hudson to step up and be "that guy" at WR. We need a step up at those spots in spring practice. Defensively, we need another DT in the portal. Jefferson and Lockhart might be first string, but I need Sandjo and Allen to be 3rd string, so we need to find someone to pair with Roberson in that second group. At corner, Smoke didn't play today for some reason (at least from what I saw), but he should be a starter next season. We need to bring someone in to compete against Rogers (who was good today) at the second spot. We are going to be just fine at S and LB. OL, DT, WR, and Corner are the spots to watch in the spring as we get ready for next season in the ACC, because it isn't good enough to just be "above average" across the board. You have to have players that can flat out win individual matchups on a weekly basis in order to compete at the highest level. As the BC QB showed today, those guys can change the entire game - without him, BC gets throttled today. But the fact is that the decent ACC teams have at least one of those guys on each team. Houston, Cincy, UCF, and BYU weren't able to add those game-changers heading into the Big 12. We will see if SMU can do it and be competitive year 1 in the ACC.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts on the BC game

Postby PonyLaw08 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Did RJ get hurt? Did he play second half at all?
PonyLaw08

Postby soccermom » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:35 pm

I don’t think bowl games should be played on baseball fields. The field(s) aren’t good and I wonder if some of the BC leg injuries were caused by the divots. Announcers calling the game at Yankee Stadium were talking about the bad footing on the infield area. Not blaming our loss on that as BC had to play on it too, just think bowl teams deserve to play on better fields .
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:44 pm

lol at the first item being weather and the field. instantly stopped reading
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:49 pm

Good analysis.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:55 pm

mtrout wrote:lol at the first item being weather and the field. instantly stopped reading

I’m sorry but to not recognize the field played a factor, you’d have to be completely ignorant. An offensive team that is a passing team will be at a disadvantage vs one that has a running QB. The field is a baseball field and certainly not conducive to a football game. My issue with this bowl is that it favored BC from the get go, their city, their weather conditions, etc.

No one can predict the weather and both teams played in the same conditions, but it’s a fair observation to make that the weather impacted our ability to execute our game plan. It doesn’t excuse a lot of questionable play calling. That’s a separate point.

Why do you think none of the top bowl games are played in outside weather in the northeast? Because they want to see the best of both teams and not have weather play a factor…
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:57 pm

Drenched. Lucky was in club area so I got to warm up. Now at airport. My take like Jason’s was that we were beat on the line of scrimmage. The weather was a factor, but next year has three mid-Atlantic games and it rains here in the east. We definitely need to grow and get deeper for next year. Kevin needs to work on touch. King should be able to coach him up. Without the running game they were daring us to go long which may explain chucking it. Not sure why Camar wasn’t in late to be safety valve and maybe break one.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby alyssa » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:54 pm

I missed the game. It was too early.

I had hospital things to do.

I saw the final score. What a terrible result. That's a team they should've beaten...

I was going to watch it later but I'm in no hurry to do so now.
alyssa
All-American

Postby ShantyBoy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:11 pm

An excellent break down as usual. Spot on and explains a lot of what we were talking about at the game. What did you think about going for it on fourth down early in the 4th? That seemed truly baffling. Thanks!!
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:01 am

A few questions/observations:

1, KJ seemed to be hurt in the 2nd half, as he was walking very gingerly - ham or groin maybe? I assume that reduced his ability to scramble/run, and likely did not help his accuracy - as the 1st half passes looked much better in the rain, than the 2nd half ones when conditions improved slightly.

2. Don't understand how punt and kick teams allowed so much penetration/blocks. The one punt block looked like we were matadors.

3. So many passes dropped. I know its wet, I know they are being hit or falling, but my gosh we've got to make a few of those that hit them in the hands.

4. Looking at the roster rankings, SMU had a slight advantage. Yet with Stone out, the advantage swung to BC, who had higher quality depth. It was a home game for BC, and the poor conditions favored their style of play. In good conditions, and playing a near perfect game, maybe the outcome is different.

5. In order to compete against ACC "Power" teams, we need to continue upgrading talent, especially in the trenches. A good portal year, and Stone returning, I still think we can make some noise in the ACC. Based on the 4 newbies in the bitter12, we need more talent to be competitive, but we are close.

6. This game could have easily swung in SMUs favor. The blocked FG and dropped TD pass seemed to take the wind out of our sails - or maybe just gave BC a little more spark. Either way, they took control and did what they needed to do.

7. It will be interesting to see the ratings, because it seems everyone from FSU, LU, and TCU were watching and waiting to pounce on social media with their negativity, and the final score was still in question.

8. Proud of the team and what they accomplished. First Conference Championship since the 80s, 11 wins. Only losses to Power teams with slightly better or deeper rosters. We are close.

9. And most importantly, for better or worse, we will be a Power team next year and in the ACC. How cool is that?
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby soccermom » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 am

FSU can pound sand. Have they forgotten they only beat BC by 2 points WITH their starting QB?!? They’re reminding me of how ut used to act. Georgia is now picked by 20 points over them. I’ve always liked FSU, but Go Dawgs!
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:00 am

soccermom wrote:FSU can pound sand. Have they forgotten they only beat BC by 2 points WITH their starting QB?!? They’re reminding me of how ut used to act. Georgia is now picked by 20 points over them. I’ve always liked FSU, but Go Dawgs!

I forgot about that game. Looked up the stats and BC outgained FSU in total yards, running and passing yards. A missed two point conversion kept the game from going to OT. It was also played in the middle of September in Boston. These wussies from FsU should go to Boston in late December with their second string QB and let’s see the result.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:02 am

ShantyBoy wrote:An excellent break down as usual. Spot on and explains a lot of what we were talking about at the game. What did you think about going for it on fourth down early in the 4th? That seemed truly baffling. Thanks!!

I think the staff saw that our DL was getting pounded and that BC was going to take the next drive down the field regardless of where we gave them the ball. IMHO, going for it was the right call. Should have been a PI and I thought Jennings panicked a little on the play. It would have been nice to run left the play before and give as much room as possible on the rollout to the right for the 4th down play, knowing that we would go for it on fourth.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 am

crazy horse wrote:A few questions/observations:

1, KJ seemed to be hurt in the 2nd half, as he was walking very gingerly - ham or groin maybe? I assume that reduced his ability to scramble/run, and likely did not help his accuracy - as the 1st half passes looked much better in the rain, than the 2nd half ones when conditions improved slightly.

2. Don't understand how punt and kick teams allowed so much penetration/blocks. The one punt block looked like we were matadors.

3. So many passes dropped. I know its wet, I know they are being hit or falling, but my gosh we've got to make a few of those that hit them in the hands.

4. Looking at the roster rankings, SMU had a slight advantage. Yet with Stone out, the advantage swung to BC, who had higher quality depth. It was a home game for BC, and the poor conditions favored their style of play. In good conditions, and playing a near perfect game, maybe the outcome is different.

5. In order to compete against ACC "Power" teams, we need to continue upgrading talent, especially in the trenches. A good portal year, and Stone returning, I still think we can make some noise in the ACC. Based on the 4 newbies in the bitter12, we need more talent to be competitive, but we are close.

6. This game could have easily swung in SMUs favor. The blocked FG and dropped TD pass seemed to take the wind out of our sails - or maybe just gave BC a little more spark. Either way, they took control and did what they needed to do.

7. It will be interesting to see the ratings, because it seems everyone from FSU, LU, and TCU were watching and waiting to pounce on social media with their negativity, and the final score was still in question.

8. Proud of the team and what they accomplished. First Conference Championship since the 80s, 11 wins. Only losses to Power teams with slightly better or deeper rosters. We are close.

9. And most importantly, for better or worse, we will be a Power team next year and in the ACC. How cool is that?

KJ looked to me like he got banged up on his ankle the last possession of the first half.

FG was low and I don't think it had any chance. IMHO that was the most surprising call of the game because it was 40+ yards in the mushy field against the wind, there was no chance of making that kick. Should have gone for it or punted.

The punt blocking unit was a disaster. At least against OU we adjusted after the first block. I haven't looked at film, but I bet if you roll the punter to his left the field is wide open for a fake.

Dropped passes - hot throws like that are not great in cold/rain. Jennings needs to develop the ability to put more touch on the throw. His throws aren't very "catchable" at times.

I think we need to take a step forward on both sides of the line. In the ACC, with games on the east coast, weather games like this are going to happen every year. RL knows that, that is why he has installed the power running game and it is the direction we want to go in. You have to be able to run the ball up the middle for 4 yards on a consistent basis. I'll add that the RBs also need to be strong enough to break a tackle from time to time, and they lacked that ability all year. Agility is great but you have to put your pads down from time to time.
JasonB

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:41 am

JasonB wrote:
ShantyBoy wrote:An excellent break down as usual. Spot on and explains a lot of what we were talking about at the game. What did you think about going for it on fourth down early in the 4th? That seemed truly baffling. Thanks!!

I think the staff saw that our DL was getting pounded and that BC was going to take the next drive down the field regardless of where we gave them the ball. IMHO, going for it was the right call. Should have been a PI and I thought Jennings panicked a little on the play. It would have been nice to run left the play before and give as much room as possible on the rollout to the right for the 4th down play, knowing that we would go for it on fourth.

What are the coach's psychic? With 11 minutes left on our own 42, you kick the ball, and give the defense twice the yardage to defend and BC twice the yardage to make a mistake. Its raining, and fumbles, interceptions, drops, bad snaps, slip downs, penalties etc. do happen. They're not calling PI so there's that. :lol:

If you don't convert, you fire up B.C.'s spirit and adrenalin, and the momentum really shifts. If they convert the turnover, it turns into a 2 score game and they're sky high emotionally. They did, and our spirit level drops to panic level. There's only a 50/50 chance of converting if you pass. Probably about the same with run in those conditions. Might be better odds if you run some gadget fake punt play to catch them off guard, but I've never seen Lashlee do that. This very similar scenario dug our own grave in the Oklahoma game.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football