PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the BC game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the BC game

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:09 pm

I think RL made a mistake with the fourth down call in the 4th. Similar to what he did against OU. There was more than plenty of time left on the clock. Maybe he doesn’t trust his punting team, but he needs to get that corrected this offseason because teams will come after our punter plenty and often next season.

To me, the dropped TD catch and the blocked FG were the key plays. That completely changed the momentum of the game. We should have won this game even with the weather conditions and the appalling referee crew, which is an embarrassment to college football. People said that they missed the PI calls both ways but it was one missed call against us and I can’t event count the number of missed PI calls against BC. I’m not even going to get into the disparity in holding calls. I don’t know if BC had a holding call against them.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby MDJenkins » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:33 pm

Unfortunately our poor performance versus a mid level, mediocre team proved the decision to put SMU in a sub tier bowl game was the right selection. Thank goodness it aired in the morning and viewership was probably small. As fans, we have to do better to use weather as an excuse for getting dominated on both sides of the ball. I think BC also played in the same weather as us. Rhett, I hope the recent losses of two excellent coaches/recruiters does not have too much of a negative impact in securing top players from the transfer portal. Unfortunately this may be the last bowl game we see on the next few years.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:32 pm

IMO a big part of this falls on the coaches. Many days before the game they were well aware that the weather would likely be rain and wind. Yet they did little to prepare for this. Plus the fact that it seems they did not take this game very seriously since most of them we out recruiting and not preparing their group for the game. In addition to the fact that some of the play calling was very questionable.
I doubt we will see a bowl game for the next few years so maybe they will have time to both recruit and prepare a team for a bowl game.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:53 pm

Jason, that was an excellent write-up

I too am concerned about our WRs and think relying on Hudson is not the ideal strategy

What are our chances via the portal…seems a bit late now, but i realize there’s always churn, it seems to me we need an upgrade

Oh, and i too thought those long passes with the windy / rainy conditions was maddening
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:31 pm

Seems like everyone was thrilled just a short time ago with the Lashlee contract extension and hoping he would stay on forever. Of course, not long before that (after early season losses) there were plenty of people questioning whether he was "the guy". Such is the life of a college football/basketball coach these days. I just hope we can win at least 6 games next year and go bowling again...but hopefully not to Boston/Fenway again
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:04 pm

No Military or Pinstripe Bowls if 6-6.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:13 pm

Looked like Knighton left the game injured. Any update on his condition?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Finally » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:09 am

MDJenkins wrote:Unfortunately our poor performance versus a mid level, mediocre team proved the decision to put SMU in a sub tier bowl game was the right selection. Thank goodness it aired in the morning and viewership was probably small. As fans, we have to do better to use weather as an excuse for getting dominated on both sides of the ball. I think BC also played in the same weather as us. Rhett, I hope the recent losses of two excellent coaches/recruiters does not have too much of a negative impact in securing top players from the transfer portal. Unfortunately this may be the last bowl game we see on the next few years.

RL has ALWAYS had questionable play calling
Finally

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:12 am

Finally wrote:RL has ALWAYS had questionable play calling

So is that on Lashlee or his OC? Who is calling the plays? Or are you going back to his time as SMU's OC and his time at Miami in the same role? He's aggressive, that's very well known but not every play is going to be successful. This team isn't built to win a slobber knocker type of game and it showed against BC
Charleston Pony

Postby Finally » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:06 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Finally wrote:RL has ALWAYS had questionable play calling

So is that on Lashlee or his OC? Who is calling the plays? Or are you going back to his time as SMU's OC and his time at Miami in the same role? He's aggressive, that's very well known but not every play is going to be successful. This team isn't built to win a slobber knocker type of game and it showed against BC

I was not impressed with him in many situations his first year as an OC and as head coach he has had a few head scratching moments.. two gems that come to mind are the game at Cincinnati where it was so obvious he was going to run the ball on first down every series, no matter what that Andre ware was mocking his play calling in the broadcasting booth.
Another one was the loss against BYU with the draw from mordecai.. down several running backs and offensive linemen, he opted for a 2pt conversion to win the game instead of OT (good call) but tried to get way too cute and run a qb draw out of a 5 wr set. In other words, trying to win the game with the left hand with the right hand also tied behind the back and hoping the defense doesn’t see it coming. We all know how that worked out.

And yes, this team is not built to be a smash mouth team, yet plays have consistently been called as if it were..

I’m sure I could think of and find other examples, but those are two glaring ones that resulted in losses that were easily avoidable
Finally

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 am

On the plane after the game, I sat next to a BC band member. Her favorite sport is hockey followed by basketball and then football. It struck me how cool it is to be in a conference with schools like BC with talented students. It’s going to be a great affiliation and serve SMU well in many respects.

Bowl games are expensive but build community. It’s expensive to fly and house spirit, key admin and the team. However, the bowl is a fun trip for all, regardless of outcome, and is a good way to recruit spirit members and showcase SMU fans. The SMU cheer and pom was far superior to what BC produced. It highlighted that “oh boy, that’s SMU!”

Lastly, speaking of home field advantage, it was nuts that the video board and announcer said “make Some Noise” when SMU was threatening in the fourth quarter. Would they do that at GlobeLife Field if SMU hosted BC?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:26 am

tristatecoog wrote:On the plane after the game, I sat next to a BC band member. Her favorite sport is hockey followed by basketball and then football. It struck me how cool it is to be in a conference with schools like BC with talented students. It’s going to be a great affiliation and serve SMU well in many respects.

Bowl games are expensive but build community. It’s expensive to fly and house spirit, key admin and the team. However, the bowl is a fun trip for all, regardless of outcome, and is a good way to recruit spirit members and showcase SMU fans. The SMU cheer and pom was far superior to what BC produced. It highlighted that “oh boy, that’s SMU!”

Lastly, speaking of home field advantage, it was nuts that the video board and announcer said “make Some Noise” when SMU was threatening in the fourth quarter. Would they do that at GlobeLife Field if SMU hosted BC?

Agree with all your points. BC is a very well respected school in the northeast that a lot of good students attend.

I also thought it was ridiculous to have this be an away game for the top g5 conference champ. In spite of everything, I think we win this game if we play in normal weather conditions. It was an away game at the end of December in one of the coldest major cities in the country. Imagine having to play Wisconsin in a bowl game in late December in their state. Not nearly a neutral game environment.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:40 am

What stuck out to me was really bad defensive play calling. Did not understand all the blitzing against a mediocre throwing QB who likes to run. Our D-line is good enough to provide some pressure. Don't need the safeties and LBs to be out of position when he starts to scramble. Did not think to D-line played bad but the second level ran themselves out of the play.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:05 pm

IMO many of our issues started with the coaching and their game plans- plus pathetic play calling.
redpony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:37 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, that was an excellent write-up

I too am concerned about our WRs and think relying on Hudson is not the ideal strategy

What are our chances via the portal…seems a bit late now, but i realize there’s always churn, it seems to me we need an upgrade

Oh, and i too thought those long passes with the windy / rainy conditions was maddening

We’ve got that guy from Oregon coming in.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football