PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the BC game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the BC game

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:00 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, that was an excellent write-up

I too am concerned about our WRs and think relying on Hudson is not the ideal strategy

What are our chances via the portal…seems a bit late now, but i realize there’s always churn, it seems to me we need an upgrade

Oh, and i too thought those long passes with the windy / rainy conditions was maddening

We’ve got that guy from Oregon coming in.

Cozart is another local player coming home. Highly recruited coming out of H.S. but I don't think he played at Oregon. Not sure why but he will have 4 years of eligibility

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-ducks-w ... 25461.html
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:08 pm

soccermom wrote:I don’t think bowl games should be played on baseball fields. The field(s) aren’t good and I wonder if some of the BC leg injuries were caused by the divots. Announcers calling the game at Yankee Stadium were talking about the bad footing on the infield area. Not blaming our loss on that as BC had to play on it too, just think bowl teams deserve to play on better fields .

The bowls at Fenway and Yankee Stadium are attempts to generate interest in CFB in the northeast. The baseball franchises can do that without cutting into their fan support at all. But the fields just are not right for football.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:24 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Jason, that was an excellent write-up

I too am concerned about our WRs and think relying on Hudson is not the ideal strategy

What are our chances via the portal…seems a bit late now, but i realize there’s always churn, it seems to me we need an upgrade

Oh, and i too thought those long passes with the windy / rainy conditions was maddening

I think Hudson COULD become that guy. But nobody took that mantle this season. He has a ton of talent and can develop. Keep in mind that nobody knew if Rice could step in that slot his senior year. I wouldn't write of Hudson yet.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:27 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:What stuck out to me was really bad defensive play calling. Did not understand all the blitzing against a mediocre throwing QB who likes to run. Our D-line is good enough to provide some pressure. Don't need the safeties and LBs to be out of position when he starts to scramble. Did not think to D-line played bad but the second level ran themselves out of the play.

Yeah, I thought the blitzes were bad calls. They weren't going to do anything against us in the air.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:29 pm

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:
soccermom wrote:I don’t think bowl games should be played on baseball fields. The field(s) aren’t good and I wonder if some of the BC leg injuries were caused by the divots. Announcers calling the game at Yankee Stadium were talking about the bad footing on the infield area. Not blaming our loss on that as BC had to play on it too, just think bowl teams deserve to play on better fields .

The bowls at Fenway and Yankee Stadium are attempts to generate interest in CFB in the northeast. The baseball franchises can do that without cutting into their fan support at all. But the fields just are not right for football.

I would also suggest that opposing team fans travel for some of those games just to be able to go to those stadiums. If we played BC in Gillette or the BC home stadium, the game would have been better, but fewer fans would have travelled.

They hold those games at Fenway and Yankee stadium just to draw more people to the game, that's it.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football