PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rule Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rule Question

Postby Topper » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:38 am

At the risk of sounding very stupid: I watched the UT/Huskies game without the audio commentary. With 50 seconds left I was expecting the game and play clock to start simultaneously after the Washington player was injured. So I thought the ball would be punted with 25 seconds or so on the clock. My assumption about the rule was incorrect as the game clock did not start until the ball was snapped. Would the same rule have applied if the injured player had been a Longhorn? In all of my years of watching football I can't remember seeing this exact situation on a 4th down like this before.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Rule Question

Postby SmooPower » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:13 pm

From reading the rulebook, my understanding is that during the final minute of each half, if an injury stops the clock the opposing team can elect to force a 10-second runoff, and the clock would start on the referee's signal. The Longhorns did not elect to do that, obviously, so the clock then starts on the snap of the ball.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Topper » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm

SmooPower wrote:From reading the rulebook, my understanding is that during the final minute of each half, if an injury stops the clock the opposing team can elect to force a 10-second runoff, and the clock would start on the referee's signal. The Longhorns did not elect to do that, obviously, so the clock then starts on the snap of the ball.

Yeah I have seen the situation you described re injury on the opposing team now that you reference that rule. Seems unfair to a team in Washington's situation on 4th down last night. Quirky rules and a quirky game played with a misshaped ball. Thanks for your reply.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby highlander » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:25 pm

I was hoping UW players would just drag him off the field, writhing in pain, just to keep that clock rolling.
highlander
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:19 am

highlander wrote:I was hoping UW players would just drag him off the field, writhing in pain, just to keep that clock rolling.
One year during my time if there was an injured player, at any point, the team of that player was charged with a time out. After a year of hurt players being dragged off the field the rule was changed.

As far as this game I was stunned that the clock did not start up again, then heard the rule. Apparently in the NFL the clock would have begun again. It should be changed next year.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football