PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

National championship game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

National championship game

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:46 pm

If I never hear the Michigan band again, it will be too soon.

That said, it has been a good game. Washington has played poorly and is still in it ... I think.
Hilltopper
All-American

Re: National championship game

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:06 am

For all the overblown and ridiculous back and forth that the now irrelevant ncaa foisted upon them this year, I am not miffed that Michigan won it all.

Harbaugh will now enter legend status at Michigan, and accept the HC position with the San Die...er..Los Angeles Chargers. The NFL doesn't have arbitrary rules...well, unless you count officiating.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:19 am

Washington played worse than us in the bowl game. Doubt Michigan could have won the championship with this team other years.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:58 am

HubbaHubba wrote:Washington played worse than us in the bowl game. Doubt Michigan could have won the championship with this team other years.

I still think Georgia might have been the best team in college football but Michigan deserves all the credit in the world for this win. They made the Washington QB look like he was back at Indiana. I haven't watched much of Washington football but for a guy who was considered a strong Heisman candidate he sure missed a lot of wide open receivers on throws that could have completely changed the complexion of that game
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:02 am

Michigan won this one in the trenches. They were bigger and stronger and by the 4th quarter imposed their will on Washington. Bus kind of game.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:10 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
HubbaHubba wrote:Washington played worse than us in the bowl game. Doubt Michigan could have won the championship with this team other years.

I still think Georgia might have been the best team in college football but Michigan deserves all the credit in the world for this win. They made the Washington QB look like he was back at Indiana. I haven't watched much of Washington football but for a guy who was considered a strong Heisman candidate he sure missed a lot of wide open receivers on throws that could have completely changed the complexion of that game

Aye
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:09 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I haven't watched much of Washington football but for a guy who was considered a strong Heisman candidate he sure missed a lot of wide open receivers on throws that could have completely changed the complexion of that game

I wasn't too impressed with Washington's vaunted receiver corps either. Lots of drops sure didn't help Penix.

I like Michigan, but I was hoping a Pac12 team would win just to draw the spotlight to the irony of the whole situation.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:38 pm

EastStang wrote:Michigan won this one in the trenches. They were bigger and stronger and by the 4th quarter imposed their will on Washington. Bus kind of game.

I say this with at least a little objectivity, as I had no preference about who won: Michigan won and deserved to win. Penix was limited, his WRs didn't help him at all and the better team won. Period.

That said, I know there's holding all the time, but I can't remember a game in which one team seemed to hold as often and as blatantly as Michigan did. Yes, it happens all the time, and I'm sure Washington got away with some, too. But it seemed like every time they showed a replay, Fowler and Herbstreit were talking about how "Michigan got away with one there."

Also, I hope Washington OT Roger Rosengarten was playing hurt. Because if not, he might have played himself out of the draft entirely last night. He got called for 3 (at least) penalties, all in the second half, and Michigan defenders ran by him like he was planted in the ground. No wonder Penix got the hell beaten out of him.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:47 pm

Thumper wrote:
EastStang wrote:Michigan won this one in the trenches. They were bigger and stronger and by the 4th quarter imposed their will on Washington. Bus kind of game.

I say this with at least a little objectivity, as I had no preference about who won: Michigan won and deserved to win. Penix was limited, his WRs didn't help him at all and the better team won. Period.

That said, I know there's holding all the time, but I can't remember a game in which one team seemed to hold as often and as blatantly as Michigan did. Yes, it happens all the time, and I'm sure Washington got away with some, too. But it seemed like every time they showed a replay, Fowler and Herbstreit were talking about how "Michigan got away with one there."

Also, I hope Washington OT Roger Rosengarten was playing hurt. Because if not, he might have played himself out of the draft entirely last night. He got called for 3 (at least) penalties, all in the second half, and Michigan defenders ran by him like he was planted in the ground. No wonder Penix got the hell beaten out of him.

Hope we don't get any Washington offensive linemen in the transfer portal.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:50 pm

Didn't watch the game but I heard there were at least two very controversial holding calls, one against UW and one in favor of Michigan that completely turned the tide in favor of Michigan.

I can't support the result of a team that has been cheating for years. Michigan caught lightning in a bottle with a cupcake schedule, only one really tough game during the regular season (a home game against what is the worst OSU team in a long time), beat the worst Alabama team since I can recall Saban being there, lucked out having Alabama to need a miracle last minute pass to beat Auburn and then somehow ended up beating Georgia (which is the best team in the country but still worse than the two previous national championship teams from Georgia), all the while using sign stealing schemes that they had developed for years, and on top of recruiting violations that caused their HC to be suspended during the regular season. It was a joke of a season unfortunately.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby highlander » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:54 pm

It's too bad Michigan put a stain on the otherwise immaculate edifice that is college football.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:23 am

Michigan may have gone above and beyond in how they went about sign stealing but that practice has been going on for a long time and don't think Ohio State and others aren't doing the same thing. Not unlike the Astros sign stealing controversy. As a former baseball catcher from the dark ages, runners at 2nd base have always tried to help hitters and signals from the dugout to 3rd base coach to hitter/runners have always been entertaining.

Just like they said at the conclusion of the "Pony Excess" documentary, as long as they are keeping score, teams will always be looking for that competitive advantage
Charleston Pony

Return to Football