PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fianl Ap Poll

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fianl Ap Poll

Postby indianmustang » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:14 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Fianl Ap Poll

Postby indianmustang » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:18 am

12th time smu finished season as ranked team
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:54 am

Even with the disappointing performance in Boston, voters have us ahead of Liberty
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:50 am

Nice to be noticed and glad that Lashlee and staff are building a better team for next year. Please help with one on the NIL's. It does not have to be much and can't come from SMU donations. Find a way to dig a little deeper in the well. ponysportsdtx.com
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PK » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:14 am

Actually showing at 22. Maybe it has been updated.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:49 am

Last time we finished in the top 25 was 1984 at #8. Beat ND in the Aloha Bowl 27 - 20 to go 10-2. 3 or 4 games against ND that finished 27 - 20 both ways in the series.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hop Sing » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:18 pm

40 years is a looong time. I’m really happy about this, and they deserved it. The start of better things to come!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:22 pm

Our Top 25 finish is wonderful recognition for the team and what is being built. I suspect we might be viewed favorably in the initial 2024 season polls.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:39 pm

In the end-of-year AP and the way-too-early preseason AP poll.

Been a loooooooooooong time coming. Keep it going, Lashlee.
Thumper
Varsity

Postby highlander » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:45 pm

Don't wanna toot my own horn, but...

I said on here that the Fenway loss was meaningless and that no one cares about the bowl games other than the "final four" games.
highlander
Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:11 pm

SMU had a solid resume before the bowl. Top 15 in all the stats that matter. 11 wins, AAC championship - without Stone. We beat everyone on the schedule we should have, only losing to OU and TCU - teams whose roster (on paper) were rated better.

Without Stone, Kerley and I believe Maryland went down early in the bowl game - BC actually had a slightly higher rated roster. And of course the home field and dreadful conditions favored BC. Tough loss, but a close game that could have easily swung our way. On a neutral field, I like our chances even with the reserves,

I think also the voters were making up for NOT voting on SMU until VERY late in the season. The idea that Liberty and some of these other schools playing Tinkerbell schedules should be ranked in the top 25 was thoroughly debunked by their failure to compete in their bowls.

The final FPI placed SMU at #22, LU #54 - which I thought was quite generous for the Flamers. SMU beat #49 Memphis, #56 Tulane, and #88 Rice. LUs top 3 wins J'vill St #84, W Kentucky #89, Bowling Green #90. I still believe the top 4 maybe 5 teams in the AAC would easily beat LU, and if Rice and UNT had their QBs, they would be competitive.

I noticed CUSA adds another FCS team this year - Delaware, and then Kennesaw St next year. Even more competition for LU. They do play ECU next year. Its the only game on their schedule that might be challenging. If the goal is to get lots of wins, pad the stats, LUs got it figured out.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:19 am

crazy horse wrote:SMU had a solid resume before the bowl. Top 15 in all the stats that matter. 11 wins, AAC championship - without Stone. We beat everyone on the schedule we should have, only losing to OU and TCU - teams whose roster (on paper) were rated better.

Without Stone, Kerley and I believe Maryland went down early in the bowl game - BC actually had a slightly higher rated roster. And of course the home field and dreadful conditions favored BC. Tough loss, but a close game that could have easily swung our way. On a neutral field, I like our chances even with the reserves,

I think also the voters were making up for NOT voting on SMU until VERY late in the season. The idea that Liberty and some of these other schools playing Tinkerbell schedules should be ranked in the top 25 was thoroughly debunked by their failure to compete in their bowls.

The final FPI placed SMU at #22, LU #54 - which I thought was quite generous for the Flamers. SMU beat #49 Memphis, #56 Tulane, and #88 Rice. LUs top 3 wins J'vill St #84, W Kentucky #89, Bowling Green #90. I still believe the top 4 maybe 5 teams in the AAC would easily beat LU, and if Rice and UNT had their QBs, they would be competitive.

I noticed CUSA adds another FCS team this year - Delaware, and then Kennesaw St next year. Even more competition for LU. They do play ECU next year. Its the only game on their schedule that might be challenging. If the goal is to get lots of wins, pad the stats, LUs got it figured out.

It doesn’t have anything to do with the point you are making, but they add Kennesaw this year and Delaware in 25.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:44 am

Hop Sing wrote:
crazy horse wrote:

It doesn’t have anything to do with the point you are making, but they add Kennesaw this year and Delaware in 25.

Thanks for the correction. Either way, its still teams that will likely take 3-5 years to have FBS talent and depth. Don't be surprised to see an undefeated LU again next year.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Return to Football