PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2024 schedule release

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2024 schedule release

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:49 am

EastStang wrote:I don't agree with making FSU part of a mandatory 3 game package. We need all the sellouts we can get. I don't think making it part of a 3 game package will create a sellout. Make tickets to that game slightly more expensive, but don't saddle people with 3 games. Or move the game to the old Cotton Bowl during the Fair. That was always fun. Frat busses to the games. Kegs on the bus. Get to wander around the Fair. Fun times.

Tickets will sell if the team is winning. They won't if the team isn't (though sales will be better than AAC years, easily).

SMU should do what it can to stop Ford to turn into Tallahassee West. TCU did this just last year for BYU (a bit random but maybe there are a lot of Mormons in Tarrant County?) and, of course, Texas.

https://kslsports.com/500666/big-12-tcu ... it-purple/

Duke does it all the time for games like Notre Dame, or Alabama when they came.

The crowd will be great for SMU-Florida State. You're absolutely worrying about the wrong thing.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 am

BYU brings big crowds wherever they play. That game will sell out.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 am

TCU, BYU & FSU should draw well but I expect the rest of the home schedule to attract something in the usual 20k range. Just don't see Cal, BC or Pitt traveling well and we just don't have the fan base to sell those games. Maybe if we run through the non-conference undefeated things will improve but my 50+ years following SMU football suggests otherwise.

I agree there should always be single game tickets available but a 3 pack with better seats at "regular" rates for BYU, TCU & FSU might be wise to assure strong attendance for those games. Might be able to put a premium price on select single game tickets but I'd hate to see them destroy any hopes of increased attendance in Ford like they did Moody with a money grab
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TexanMark » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:18 pm

Hey the Dallas Morning News said your schedule is filled. Are you playing Vandy or is that bad info from the newspaper.

A Cuse OOC game makes sense to me.

Edit: Cuse just announced they are playing at UNLV in place of Army
Last edited by TexanMark on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexanMark
Recruit

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:26 pm

Not sure about the DMN, but the Vandy game is definitely off.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:TCU, BYU & FSU should draw well but I expect the rest of the home schedule to attract something in the usual 20k range. Just don't see Cal, BC or Pitt traveling well and we just don't have the fan base to sell those games. Maybe if we run through the non-conference undefeated things will improve but my 50+ years following SMU football suggests otherwise.

I agree there should always be single game tickets available but a 3 pack with better seats at "regular" rates for BYU, TCU & FSU might be wise to assure strong attendance for those games. Might be able to put a premium price on select single game tickets but I'd hate to see them destroy any hopes of increased attendance in Ford like they did Moody with a money grab

This isn't at all comparable to Moody where it's SMU fans or no one; this is about keeping it a home game.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:00 pm

I don't care if its a "home" crowd. Our fans usually account for 15-20,000. So, if we get 15,000-20,000 more fans there even from FSU, its a sellout which makes the news and makes tickets to other games hotter. Down the road, when we are packing Ford for the BC's and the Pitt's, then we can start getting picky on who we sell tickets to. I remember games at the Cotton Bowl when we were in the SWC where we were outnumbered. UT, A&M, Baylor (of course that was their first chance at winning the SWC), Arkansas, Tech. I also remember a TCU game where the stadium was empty.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:30 pm

EastStang wrote:I don't care if its a "home" crowd. Our fans usually account for 15-20,000. So, if we get 15,000-20,000 more fans there even from FSU, its a sellout which makes the news and makes tickets to other games hotter. Down the road, when we are packing Ford for the BC's and the Pitt's, then we can start getting picky on who we sell tickets to. I remember games at the Cotton Bowl when we were in the SWC where we were outnumbered. UT, A&M, Baylor (of course that was their first chance at winning the SWC), Arkansas, Tech. I also remember a TCU game where the stadium was empty.

A 75,000-seat stadium is also not remotely a good comparison for Ford. There's literally no excuse for doing what you are after here; it reeks of BPS, just inviting a visiting fan base to take over.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:38 pm

A 3 game package runs the risk of someone showing up for the one which has their interest and not showing for the other two. You get the money for the tickets but have empty seats for two games unless the tickets are sold on the secondary market. Just let our good fans buy season tickets and let the other fans of either competing team buy single game tickets.

I recall buying tickets for a Thanksgiving Cowboy game one year. In order to get them a buyer had to also buy a ticket to a preseason game. I went to both. The Thanksgiving game was fully packed, but the preseason game was not well attended.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm

BYU on Friday, September 6.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:35 pm

mrydel wrote:A 3 game package runs the risk of someone showing up for the one which has their interest and not showing for the other two. You get the money for the tickets but have empty seats for two games unless the tickets are sold on the secondary market. Just let our good fans buy season tickets and let the other fans of either competing team buy single game tickets.

I recall buying tickets for a Thanksgiving Cowboy game one year. In order to get them a buyer had to also buy a ticket to a preseason game. I went to both. The Thanksgiving game was fully packed, but the preseason game was not well attended.

Preseason is another terrible example. Barely glorified exhibitions. I'm telling you, there is a reason P5 programs similar to SMU now (TCU, Duke) do this regularly. It is the smart play.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:This year's SMU team and schedule should attract our best home attendance in quite some time

FIFY :wink:
Lefty
All-American

Postby Lefty » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:56 pm

Didn't someone on here say we're still scrambling for a 12th opponent?
Lefty
All-American

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:24 pm

Lefty wrote:Didn't someone on here say we're still scrambling for a 12th opponent?

It sounds like we may be going to Hawaii!
https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/17 ... 5196037342
https://twitter.com/jhofeditz/status/17 ... 6518303804
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:18 pm

Taking a road trip to Hawaii would open up a possible 13th regular season game but with all the travel this team will be doing in ACC play I wonder if we will even look into that
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football