PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU announces 2024 schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU announces 2024 schedule

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 pm

CA Mustang wrote:Cal-Stanford play the weekend before Thanksgiving (and presumably that weekend every year). As for the rest of the conference, I don't know if any of the rivalry games have traditional dates.

FSU usually plays Florida Thanksgiving weekend, Virginia plays Virginia Tech, Clemson plays South Carolina, Georgia Tech plays Georgia, etc... so there are ACC teams who play long time rivals that weekend. The weekend before Thanksgiving week isn't exactly a "prime time" rivalry game but it does kind of kick off rivalry week and that's when Cal/Stanford played this past season so I get it. I'm just not sure about Cal vs SMU playing on Thanksgiving weekend and expect that game will be one that draws as poorly as we have for years on that weekend when the students are gone. I suppose there are only so many rivalry games vs dates and time slots the networks have to work with and that is what football scheduling is all about.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:33 pm

Dukie wrote:Somebody on the Duke board posted yesterday that FAU and NMSU also still need games this fall.

Eight need games (including SMU) https://twitter.com/FBSchedules/status/ ... 7000280576

Charleston Pony wrote:The weekend before Thanksgiving week isn't exactly a "prime time" rivalry game but it does kind of kick off rivalry week and that's when Cal/Stanford played this past season so I get it. I'm just not sure about Cal vs SMU playing on Thanksgiving weekend and expect that game will be one that draws as poorly as we have for years on that weekend when the students are gone. I suppose there are only so many rivalry games vs dates and time slots the networks have to work with and that is what football scheduling is all about.

The Saturday before Thanksgiving USED to be for rivalries (USC-UCLA, OSU-Michagn, Harvard-Yale, etc.) but now some are spread out over the month.

Thanksgiving weekend is a tough draw for SMU, but will Cal attract more fans than past games vs. Navy, Tulane, etc.?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 pm

CA Mustang wrote:Any hints IPP as to which way SMU is leaning? Home or road? G5 or P5? Sept. or Oct.?

CA Mustang although still a longshot, now I hear Hawaii could be back in play because someone canceled on them.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:28 pm

CA Mustang wrote:Thanksgiving weekend is a tough draw for SMU, but will Cal attract more fans than past games vs. Navy, Tulane, etc.?

Were you at Tulane Thanksgiving 2019? It was really a decent crowd.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:23 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:Any hints IPP as to which way SMU is leaning? Home or road? G5 or P5? Sept. or Oct.?

CA Mustang although still a longshot, now I hear Hawaii could be back in play because someone canceled on them.

Hawaii complicates a season already with a lot of travel. Unless someone is willing to cancel a game already scheduled, options are dwindling by the day.

Dukie wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:Thanksgiving weekend is a tough draw for SMU, but will Cal attract more fans than past games vs. Navy, Tulane, etc.?

Were you at Tulane Thanksgiving 2019? It was really a decent crowd.

No, I wasn't there but I know that weekend is historically tough on attendance. I'm wondering how Cal will draw compared to our opponents on that date in the recent past (or can that comparison even be made?).
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:43 am

looks like 1000 new season ticket holders
https://twitter.com/gordon794/status/17 ... 7122912370
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby PonyPride » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:41 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:If they finalize a deal with Hawaii

Charleston my sources are saying Hawaii is a no-go

I heard the same thing...
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby dr rc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:47 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

Hawaii complicates a season already with a lot of travel. Unless someone is willing to cancel a game already scheduled, options are dwindling by the day.

UMass has two FCS opponents and an open date on November 9. They just inked a game w/ CCSU for their 12th game so maybe they'd be willing to dump their other FCS game vs Wagner? Not many will care about playing them but at least it's an FBS game.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby DiamondM75 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:54 pm

My prediction:

We are undefeated going into the FSU game, and Gameday will be on the SMU campus. Gameday will want the national exposure for the first SMU ACC game with 2 undefeated ACC teams.

Just sayin'
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:52 pm

dr rc wrote:UMass has two FCS opponents and an open date on November 9. They just inked a game w/ CCSU for their 12th game so maybe they'd be willing to dump their other FCS game vs Wagner? Not many will care about playing them but at least it's an FBS game.

That would be a good road game at that point in the season and we could schedule a home/home deal with UMass visiting Ford at some point down the road. Would be preferable to scheduling FCS opponents in Ford
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:01 pm

If Lashlee wants a challenge, MSU and ND are options. Otherwise, UMass may be the safest choice. https://fbschedules.com/fbs-college-foo ... s-in-2024/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:24 pm

Michigan State looks like a good possibility. We both have 3 potential dates where SMU could travel to East Lansing. Mrs CP is a Spartan. Could be fun.
Charleston Pony

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:22 pm

DiamondM75 wrote:My prediction:

We are undefeated going into the FSU game, and Gameday will be on the SMU campus. Gameday will want the national exposure for the first SMU ACC game with 2 undefeated ACC teams.

Just sayin'

If we and F$U are both ranked and undefeated, that seems very possible. The return to top-level competition is a pretty irresistible storyline. Other competitors, though, are Georgia-Alabama and Texas hosting Miss State ($EC debut for the Whorns). After that it’s maybe a pretty big drop off to, eg, USC @ Wiscy.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:39 pm

Haha. No way it is not Georgia/Alabama unless both of them have 2 or more losses
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:44 pm

mrydel wrote:Haha. No way it is not Georgia/Alabama unless both of them have 2 or more losses

Eh, GameDay hasn't gone to a regular-season Georgia/Alabama game in any of the past three seasons, and 2020 is the *only* time in the past 15 years. There is no guarantee they'll prioritize that game.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football