PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU announces 2024 schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU announces 2024 schedule

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:19 am

We have at least two difficult games before we get there. BYU and TCU. Let's focus on them first. I'd like to beat both of them handily. For TCU, it's their Super Bowl (despite their bleatings otherwise). Lashee has not beaten Sonny. And there was that Bowl loss to BYU (albeit on a two point conversion to win the game). And then there is that unknown game against somebody.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:04 am

Not sure if we will beat TCU "handily", but I certainly would like to see us get a W at Ford. It's just been so darn long. BYU was really not very good this year, but I don't have any sense of what they will roll out next season. For what rankings are worth, it looks like TCU's transfer portal haul was rated similarly to ours.

Bottom line is that next year's schedule is going to be tough. Even the "easy" games are going to be a big step-up from the cupcake conference games we played several weeks this season. Other than Houston Christian, I don't see any automatic Ws.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:13 am

NMSU finalized their schedule yesterday, so the remaining options for the 12th game are Army, Hawaii, MSU & ND. Someone canceling a game to play SMU or staying with 11 are also options, but I'll presume they are less likely. https://fbschedules.com/fbs-college-foo ... s-in-2024/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:58 pm

We can also schedule an FCS team which would not apply for bowl eligibility as another tune up. Or not.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:34 pm

CA Mustang wrote:NMSU finalized their schedule yesterday, so the remaining options for the 12th game are Army, Hawaii, MSU & ND. Someone canceling a game to play SMU or staying with 11 are also options, but I'll presume they are less likely. https://fbschedules.com/fbs-college-foo ... s-in-2024/

I swear I remember hearing Embody say Hawaii told us no.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:41 pm

EastStang wrote:We have at least two difficult games before we get there. BYU and TCU. Let's focus on them first. I'd like to beat both of them handily. For TCU, it's their Super Bowl (despite their bleatings otherwise). Lashee has not beaten Sonny. And there was that Bowl loss to BYU (albeit on a two point conversion to win the game). And then there is that unknown game against somebody.

It's January (OK, now barely February) and we are not the team. Or the coaches. What else is there to talk about but random b.s.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:37 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:NMSU finalized their schedule yesterday, so the remaining options for the 12th game are Army, Hawaii, MSU & ND. Someone canceling a game to play SMU or staying with 11 are also options, but I'll presume they are less likely. https://fbschedules.com/fbs-college-foo ... s-in-2024/

I swear I remember hearing Embody say Hawaii told us no.

I'm pretty sure SMU would say no based on travel alone. I doubt Hawaii says no to anyone willing to play them.

I'd love to hear the conversations between the folks in the AD and Lashlee as the pros and cons of every scheduling option are debated each day.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:13 am

Vandy put us in this predicament. Any word on if we are having to fill all of the future Vandy slots or just the one for this year? This was a three game set (two in Nashville and one in Dallas).
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:45 pm

PonyTime wrote:Vandy put us in this predicament. Any word on if we are having to fill all of the future Vandy slots or just the one for this year? This was a three game set (two in Nashville and one in Dallas).

I hope it’s the end of it. I hated the two-for-one from the start, especially the two in Nashvegas before the final game in Dallas (that they could easily use their $EC money to avoid). It was too unequal. It’s even more unbalanced with SMU in the ACC. And unless/until I see any evidence that they communicated any more or better than just letting us learn they dropped the game when they announced their schedule without us, eff them. A win over them is worthless anyway. They seem to have completely given up post-Franklin and are just gonna cash those check$ as long as they can.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:37 pm

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/smu/
on both SMU's and Vanderbilt's future schedule we are playing one another home and away.

Vanderbilt is better than HCB, Praivie View A&M, Albiene Christian or Lamar.
bubba pony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football