PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2001 Home Opener Crowd

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2001 Home Opener Crowd

Postby GallopingGuy » Sun Sep 09, 2001 5:38 am

I have to say, I was impressed by the crowd we had in Ford last night. Yes, the stadium wasn't full, like it was (I think) on opening day last year... and yes, a good bit of the people there were silly Horned Frog fans... but even so, the student section was loud and rowdy, and we saw a lot of spirit out there.

Of course, a lot of it was gone by about the third and fourth quarter, but between the band and a fairly large group of die-hards (large compared to what I would have expected after last year, anyway), we had a pretty good showing even after the game was long over.

I would LOVE to see the student section overflowing every game like it did against TCU. I'm just afraid that the only reason we HAD that crowd was that it was both the TCU game and the opening home game of the season... so who knows if it'll keep up, especially after Saturday.

But I sure hope it does. Our team needs fanatical fans in a big way.

------------------
-- GG

"...and right 'till the end we'll stand..."
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Re: 2001 Home Opener Crowd

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:59 pm

I thought it was a great showing. Anyone know the official attendance? Pretty decent student showing, lets just hope it doesn't dwindle after that loss.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Sun Sep 09, 2001 4:44 pm

if we WIN -

the crowds will take care of themselves - they'll be there for sure!!!!

copeland said he needs between 20,000 to 25,000 to breakeven (i forgot exactly the #)so he's going to have to make a decision for sure in the not so distant future about whose going to be next yr's coach.

------------------
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby GallopingGuy » Sun Sep 09, 2001 7:17 pm

See, that's the problem, though... that way of thinking, that "we'll have fans coming to see the team if they win."

Not too long ago, we'd have people coming, win or lose, just because it was THEIR football team, THEIR Mustangs, and they wanted to support them, up until the final seconds rolled away.

You don't see that much anymore... and I wish I knew how to get it back.

College football isn't even supposed to BE about the score. I mean, yeah, you want to win, of course... but you go because that's what you DO in college. You go out with your friends, you cheer for your team, and then you either party to celebrate or to forget how the game went. That's the way it's supposed to work...

We need school spirit, badly, and I wish I knew how to get it.

------------------
-- GG

"...and right 'till the end we'll stand..."
"...and right to the end we'll stand..."
GallopingGuy
Recruit

Postby ponystudent » Sun Sep 09, 2001 9:03 pm

from SMUMustangs.com attendance wat 24,000.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Return to Football