PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

5+7 Playoff Format Unanimously Approved

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

5+7 Playoff Format Unanimously Approved

Postby Webmaster » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm

The CFP Board of Managers has approved the 5+7 format, which will be the 5 highest rated conference champions plus the next 7 highest rated teams as determined by the CFP Committee.

I personally am not thrilled with this after the CFP Committee proved to be so biased and bungled the selection last season, but there it is. Be curious to know ya'll's thoughts on the matter.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: 5+7 Playoff Format Unanimously Approved

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm

Anytime the words "highest rated" are in there it means they have discretion. . . which means there will be controversy undoubtedly.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby smubrooks » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Strength of schedule shouldn't be held against us anymore so just win baby!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:42 pm

I don't have any problem with it because it will allow a conference champion outside of the P4 conferences an opportunity to compete. It is highly unlikely any of the 7 at large bids will go to any team outside of that P4 group and yes, as usual it will be very biased and controversial as to who gets those at large bids. Just like March Madness bids in hoops, it is highly unlikely the 12 best teams will be included but realistically no team towards the bottom of the 12 selected teams will have any chance of actually winning the national championship
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:04 pm

Based on this, one can count on SMU being excluded even if SMU s #2 in the conference and ranked #2 in the nation. CFP has proven they can find any excuse to exclude any team.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:02 pm

ABSOLUTELY!!!! It's a given!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:05 pm

Obviously great that SMU will be in a Power Conference, and the sooner the better.

BUT,

You have to feel that SMU would have been on the shortlist to take one of those conference spots if we were in the AAC next year. You figure Cal or Standford won't be close, which means a G5 conference champ is going to be in the playoff next year.

With who we have returning, you would have to think SMU would be the favorite to nail down one of the five spots. You have to figure winning the AAC and being the highest rated G5 team would have been considerably easier than winning the ACC.

Now, while we are slugging away in the ACC, some team like Memphis, Tulane, or Fresno State is going to waltz into the CFP, a spot that should have been ours!
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ShantyBoy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:32 pm

I’m not sure how anyone can look at our upcoming schedule in comparison to what it would be in the AAC, and all of the buzz being generated by our new association with the ACC, not to mention the basketball that is coming our way, and imply we would be better off staying in the American with ntsu and the gang.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:36 pm

ShantyBoy wrote:I’m not sure how anyone can look at our upcoming schedule in comparison to what it would be in the AAC, and all of the buzz being generated by our new association with the ACC, not to mention the basketball that is coming our way, and imply we would be better off staying in the American with ntsu and the gang.

Right--there would have been zero upside to trying to be the tallest [little person] in the G5, trying to beat all the UABs and hoping some App State or FAU rando doesn't also go undefeated.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:48 pm

I totally agree and would not be surprised if they make it much harder for a G5 team to make it after 2025 when they tweak it again. but the "tallest" midget will have a playoff spot for the next two years right when we make the leap to the giants. :)

Just something I was thinking about, very glad to be in the ACC and the long term benefits that will provide.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:12 pm

shadowman wrote:I totally agree and would not be surprised if they make it much harder for a G5 team to make it after 2025 when they tweak it again. but the "tallest" midget will have a playoff spot for the next two years right when we make the leap to the giants. :)

Just something I was thinking about, very glad to be in the ACC and the long term benefits that will provide.

I hope you're right about "long term." I do fear SMU and Duke could be reunited with Tulane and others soon enough. Hopefully not.
Dukie
Heisman

Return to Football