PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marcus Bryant enters portal

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Marcus Bryant enters portal

Postby dalpony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 am

Sources reported that Marcus has entered the transfer portal - a big loss
dalpony
Varsity

Re: Marcus Bryant enters portal

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 am

Now we have to replace three O-line starters from last season, while at the same time keeping Stone healthy is huge priority entering ACC competition.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:33 am

Can you say... NIL bidding. Kind of sad but this w ill be remembered when it comes time for after football employment.

Just sayin.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:57 am

lots of holes to fill on both O and D. let's hope RL is really successful in the next open portal. if not, it could be a long long season.
redpony

Postby birddogger » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:23 am

This has the aroma of tampering.
birddogger
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:10 am

Transfer portal has become college football's "free agency". With Savion coming in I can't blame him for testing the market. If he leaves he could be tough to replace but there are still some big guys in the portal who haven't decided on their next stop.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Bryant announced it on Twitter
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby dalpony » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Transfer portal has become college football's "free agency". With Savion coming in I can't blame him for testing the market. If he leaves he could be tough to replace but there are still some big guys in the portal who haven't decided on their next stop.

They play different positions - Marcus play LT & Savion players RT
dalpony
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Byrd also played left guard at OU. I'm told he'll get a look at multiple positions. It seems reasonable to assume that will include one or both tackle spots.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby malachi896 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 pm

This is the new era. Marcus gave us a solid 4 years and graduated. Now he can build on that success and cash in as much as possible as essentially a 1-year rental before trying to make it in the NFL. I don't like that he is leaving, but don't blame him either. As long as the NIL continues to be the wild, wild west, we'll lose players like this and also bring in players like this. Just the new reality. I wish him all the best.
malachi896
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:39 am

malachi896 wrote:This is the new era. Marcus gave us a solid 4 years and graduated. Now he can build on that success and cash in as much as possible as essentially a 1-year rental before trying to make it in the NFL. I don't like that he is leaving, but don't blame him either. As long as the NIL continues to be the wild, wild west, we'll lose players like this and also bring in players like this. Just the new reality. I wish him all the best.

Or SMU could be the highest bidder for his services? Not every player who enters the portal leaves
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:14 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
malachi896 wrote:This is the new era. Marcus gave us a solid 4 years and graduated. Now he can build on that success and cash in as much as possible as essentially a 1-year rental before trying to make it in the NFL. I don't like that he is leaving, but don't blame him either. As long as the NIL continues to be the wild, wild west, we'll lose players like this and also bring in players like this. Just the new reality. I wish him all the best.

Or SMU could be the highest bidder for his services? Not every player who enters the portal leaves

This could very well be the case. It is akin to a an NFL player demanding a trade or holding out of camp. He could be trying to get more from SMU.

The other possibility is that he wants to transfer and play for Michigan or someone similar for a shot at a national title.

I feel it is probably about the money and hopefully SMU can step up and keep him.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

Agree. Always disappointing when/if we lose a good player. But in this environment its going to happen to every program.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:55 am

If a player of Marcus Bryant's caliber finds out what the incoming NIL players are getting and justifiably wants to get more for his grad year of playing, I am guessing he (or his family) would be pretty vocal about it.

How much re-negotiating does a coaching staff want to do each year with current players is the real question.

This is where that new General Manager position likely come into play. Keep the negotiations away from the head coach as that could really impact relationships that need to be strong in-season.

Glad to see that SMU is being proactive on this General Manger role as it really is needed when it comes to this whole new NIL world.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUguy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:54 pm

Saw one "article" about where the top remaining transfer portal guys will end up, and it had Branson Hickman going to TCU and Marcus Bryant headed to Alabama.

Thanks to both for their years at SMU. But for the love of everything holy, don't go to Frogtown.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Next

Return to Football