PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank Goodness for the ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thank Goodness for the ACC

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:28 am

If there was ever any doubt that ACC membership was worth every concession we made, check out this fall's home schedule for the University of Memphis, allegedly our competition for that slot.

Conference home games: North Texas, Charlotte, Rice, UAB,

OOC home games: North Alabama, Troy, Middle Tennessee

https://gotigersgo.com/sports/football/schedule
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Re: Thank Goodness for the ACC

Postby Hop Sing » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:39 am

I checked out the American schedule release yesterday, and I am so very thankful we escaped. I actually do feel sorry for the Memphis fans, because they deserve better. This whole have and have not thing started with the formation of the BCS back in the day, and as we all know, it's a brutal existence to be on the wrong side of the railway tracks. I believe we got the very last ticket out unless there is another seismic shift down the road. It's also possible that the Pac 2 will reform with some eastern teams and give Memphis, Tulane, USF a better home.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Re: Thank Goodness for the ACC

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:43 am

Hop Sing wrote:I checked out the American schedule release yesterday, and I am so very thankful we escaped. I actually do feel sorry for the Memphis fans, because they deserve better. This whole have and have not thing started with the formation of the BCS back in the day, and as we all know, it's a brutal existence to be on the wrong side of the railway tracks. I believe we got the very last ticket out unless there is another seismic shift down the road. It's also possible that the Pac 2 will reform with some eastern teams and give Memphis, Tulane, USF a better home.

It's much older than that. Way back in the day, there was 1 TV for all D1 football. And the BT almost by otseopf controlled that deal. So the BT was able to have the deal mack all the northeast labelled BT area for regional games, etc. As the other Rose Bo0wl league, the Pac easily had the 2nd best deal, because when games were shown East and West of the Mississippi, the Pac was shown over almost the enter country west of the Mississippi.

The changes in the TV deals meant the BT could see that before long it would lose all its TV advantages. That's when some BT Ads acted with TV people (unknown to BT presidents,) to woo Penn ST. If they got PSU, that would prevent there ever being a northeastern based league, and that would mean the BT could always claim all the Northeast for it TV showing and dollars.

When it became clear what the BT was doing, the SEC jumped into gear to act to destroy the SWC to take over TV in the southwest, and ND began looking for a solo deal.

And here we are.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Return to Football