PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AP: Ruining the Party … Big Ten & SEC Power Play

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AP: Ruining the Party … Big Ten & SEC Power Play

Postby Water Pony » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:58 am

The P2 threatens and hurts credibility of future CFP models. Now they want 3 (or 4) automotive bids in a field which could expand to 14 teams with 11 automatic bids, e.g.,

- 3 each for BiG10 and SEC
- 2 each for BigXII and ACC
- 1 for a G5 Champ

How does this help college football?

https://apnews.com/article/1529fab79b2b ... 505669077b
Last edited by Water Pony on Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: AP: Ruining the Party … Big Ten & SEC Power Play

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:21 pm

Water Pony wrote:The P2 threaten and hurt credibility of future CFP models. Now they want 3 (or 4) automotive bids in a field which could expand to 14 teams with 11 automatic bids, e.g.,

- 1 for a G5 Champ

This hurts not just CFB but all of intercollegiate athletics. And they do not care. They are eliminating competition so they can totally control. almost all money available. They know what they are doing. They intend it.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:31 am

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:
Water Pony wrote:The P2 threaten and hurt credibility of future CFP models. Now they want 3 (or 4) automotive bids in a field which could expand to 14 teams with 11 automatic bids, e.g.,

- 1 for a G5 Champ

This hurts not just CFB but all of intercollegiate athletics. And they do not care. They are eliminating competition so they can totally control. almost all money available. They know what they are doing. They intend it.

AS big a limp wrist the NCAA has been, the NCAA controlling all championships is far better than those 2 damned conferences doing so.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:03 pm

Its hard to watch all of this unfolding when we all know how this movie is going to end.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:18 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Its hard to watch all of this unfolding when we all know how this movie is going to end.

I do not see either SEC or BT backing down a bit. They see their total control of all that kidney at their fingertips. In effect, they intend to have total control over CFB and its money - both TV deals and postseason. They will allow small bits to dribble to others, but only they can be allowed to have any say or make any money. This is just like John D. Rockefeller destroying small oil company after small oil company in order to steal all possible oil wealth within the USA. WE need a Teddy Roosevelt to bust trusts, as it were, and save college athletics. And Teddy also did play the key role in creating the NCAA.

Chicago was wrong: it is actually, 'American needs you Teddy Roosevelt.'

Best for the rest of us now is that those schools in SEC (maybe all but Vandy) and BT (Maybe all but Northwestern, but also probably schools like Rutgers and Minnesota) that do want to be true semi-pro just leave the NCAA ASAP. Take the names of those leagues with you. And create your idea of an ideal a college name rented league for minor league pro sports.

Then the rest of us can work on reforming the NCAA.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:48 pm

Michael Wilson called this the "ruination" of college football, which he said is "killing itself."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:26 am

From the gossip. FSU, UVA and UNC will jump to the Big Ten. Clemson to the SEC. I don't see South Carolina wanting Clemson in the SEC. I don't see UVA and UNC getting an easy pass from their state governments to leave behind VT and NCS (not to mention Duke and Wake). So, I hope that Graceland Tarheel is has lots of friends in the UNC hierarchy.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:02 pm

I have heard “the legislature will not allow University of X to leave its fellow state schools behind” more times than I can count. It never happens. Maybe in the 1990s when the SWC broke up, but not anymore.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:56 pm

EastStang wrote:From the gossip. FSU, UVA and UNC will jump to the Big Ten. Clemson to the SEC. I don't see South Carolina wanting Clemson in the SEC. I don't see UVA and UNC getting an easy pass from their state governments to leave behind VT and NCS (not to mention Duke and Wake). So, I hope that Graceland Tarheel is has lots of friends in the UNC hierarchy.

VT is in the ACC because the VA Governor put the squeeze on UVA. Tech has 27,000 undergrads. UVA has 3,100. Who do you think swings the bigger stick in Richmond?

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/virginia-tech-s-unique-journey-to-the-acc/16733003/
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:52 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:
EastStang wrote:From the gossip. FSU, UVA and UNC will jump to the Big Ten. Clemson to the SEC. I don't see South Carolina wanting Clemson in the SEC. I don't see UVA and UNC getting an easy pass from their state governments to leave behind VT and NCS (not to mention Duke and Wake). So, I hope that Graceland Tarheel is has lots of friends in the UNC hierarchy.

VT is in the ACC because the VA Governor put the squeeze on UVA. Tech has 27,000 undergrads. UVA has 3,100. Who do you think swings the bigger stick in Richmond?

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/virginia-tech-s-unique-journey-to-the-acc/16733003/

3,100 undergrads? Not sure where you got that figure as UVA might be smaller than Tech but they have had between 16-18,000 undergrads for years
Charleston Pony

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:14 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:

3,100 undergrads? Not sure where you got that figure as UVA might be smaller than Tech but they have had between 16-18,000 undergrads for years

I may have looked at Wise Campus by mistake, in any case you're right. Undergrad enrollment on the man campus is around 17,000. https://www.virginia.edu/facts
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:54 am

A whole loot of us hate both SEC and BT. The SEC line for the pst few years has been that if something happened to the ACC, UNC would love for the SEC. The notion comes from an in formal poll of Ram's Club (the UNC boosters group) members back right after Maryland left. It ws poorly worded, nd most who answered assumed it meant the league already was gutted badly. And because everyone then was focused on the BT as monster, the SEC types saw the ;poll as meaning UNC sports Fns were already itching to join the SEC - WRONG!.

And things have changed - now may times more of us also hate the SEC.

AS for me, I know it would be a bad thing for the state of NC for UNC, MooU (NCSU) , and Dook to be split. We are all key parts of the Research Triangle, and the RT is extremely important to NC. The 3 of us need to remain tied together in as many ways as possible.

What I think can be done now is that we lose FSU, but use that loss to get dels from ESPN to help overcome it nd remain easily the most important and financially secure conference. Both Amazon Prime and Apple want to get into live college sports, and ESPN has been looking for investors. I hope that either Amazon or Apple or both will want to invest in ESPN by investing in showing the ACC - and also demanding a larger ACC, for more content and more geography. We need more TX schools to mark a real presence, especially in and near DFW. WE could use UAZ, AZ ST, and maybe Utah (all are AAU). Cincinnati could be a nice addition. And lacking FSU we need to add USF - which now is an AAU school with an on campus stadium.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:29 am

AZ, ASU, UU all have jumped into bed with the Big XII. I think they are there for awhile. Cincy was never invited to the ACC when the Big East defectors came over for a reason. Academics. And Cincy is in bed with the other Big XII inbreds. So, if we grow, we could backfill with some schools like Navy, AFA, Army, San Diego State, Tulane. USF. The Military academies have national followings. If the B1G and SEC expand, they may also consider dropping some schools who don't give them TV eyeballs, like Northwestern, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Maryland and Rutgers since cable must carry rules are now irrelevant to some degree with satellite and streaming services. Since this has become a conference expansion thread, another kitten died.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:01 pm

EastStang wrote:AZ, ASU, UU all have jumped into bed with the Big XII. I think they are there for awhile. Cincy was never invited to the ACC when the Big East defectors came over for a reason. Academics. And Cincy is in bed with the other Big XII inbreds. So, if we grow, we could backfill with some schools like Navy, AFA, Army, San Diego State, Tulane. USF. The Military academies have national followings. If the B1G and SEC expand, they may also consider dropping some schools who don't give them TV eyeballs, like Northwestern, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Maryland and Rutgers since cable must carry rules are now irrelevant to some degree with satellite and streaming services. Since this has become a conference expansion thread, another kitten died.

There are now a number of reports that Utah especially was very wary of going Big 12 and even refused to sign its alleged 99 year contract, because it felt it had to get into a league then but plus for better. ASAU is said by some to also have refused to sign, and maybe also the UofA.

The key for the SACC is getting at least partially out form under ESPN, which is holding the AC down to benefit the SEC, including trying to push most valuale ACC brands into SEC. If Disney money issues mean ESPN will take on a partner, say Apple or Amazon Prime, that can be the ACC's way to not avoid any 'forced' defections but also to grow with some real value.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 pm

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:AS for me, I know it would be a bad thing for the state of NC for UNC, MooU (NCSU) , and Dook to be split. We are all key parts of the Research Triangle, and the RT is extremely important to NC. The 3 of us need to remain tied together in as many ways as possible.

What I think can be done now is that we lose FSU, but use that loss to get dels from ESPN to help overcome it nd remain easily the most important and financially secure conference. Both Amazon Prime and Apple want to get into live college sports, and ESPN has been looking for investors. I hope that either Amazon or Apple or both will want to invest in ESPN by investing in showing the ACC - and also demanding a larger ACC, for more content and more geography. We need more TX schools to mark a real presence, especially in and near DFW. WE could use UAZ, AZ ST, and maybe Utah (all are AAU). Cincinnati could be a nice addition. And lacking FSU we need to add USF - which now is an AAU school with an on campus stadium.

So basically you are advocating growing the ACC into the largest conference in college athletics? I suppose it could be re-named the "Coast to Coast Conference" since the American Athletic Conference and Conference USA titles are already taken. Of course, if the numerically challenged Big XII is still o.k. with their name... :roll:

It would be wild to be part of a 24 school athletic conference some day and it might help bring back some regionalization and reduce travel for student athletes and as you say, the networks would have plenty of live sports to offer. Who knows where this thing is headed but in this dog eat dog environment I fully expect the B1G and SEC will control and the ACC and Big XII will compete against each other for survival.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football