PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My thoughts on the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My thoughts on the game

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 09, 2001 1:12 pm

Of course I was thoroughly disappointed, but I saw some things that really pissed me off and I thought I should comment.

First, the officiating really killed our momentum early. The personal foul call on us that brought the TD back was BS, at least I never saw it happen nor did I on the replay.

Next, I was so pissed at Jay Taylor. In the first half, I just happened to be focused on him and his route. He jogged his route and of course Luker was in serious time trouble and saw Taylor one on one and he lunched it to him. Taylor happened to look back in his heavy jog and then kicked in the speed and dove for the ball which was beyond him, but if he had been at 90-100 percent, it would have been a touchdown.

Third. No one on this team, besides Vic, can or does wrap up or make fundamental plays. There is absolutely no excuse for this. We do not have the highest quality players on this team, but we do not have terrible players. The talent is there, but we have to play a perfect game to compete most of the time and fundamentals are a big part of playing a perfect game. It is so frustrating to see six consecutive players run and spear someone only to see the opponent spin and keep going and then see Vic finish the play, textbook style.

What I am trying to say is, we have had one winning season since the DP. We are 0-2 right now with maybe our two hardest games coming up. If these players do not know better than to stick to fundamentals and go at 100 percent, then we deserve what is coming for us.
ponytalk
Varsity

Re: My thoughts on the game

Postby WildHorse » Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:25 pm

I've never been overly excited about Brian Bischoff, but I thought he made several fundamentally outstanding plays. He'll never be considered big or fast, but I came around on him last night.

The personal foul call was not BS. From what I saw, we're lucky Joey Slaten wasn't ejected.

Sorry to hear about Jay Taylor half-speeding his route. All I saw was the end of the play, thinking he was tall enough that he was in fact able to stretch beyond his defender. I found myself wishing Luker could have re-thrown the ball, but apparently I was wrong to assign blame to Luker.

And while I won't predict a win over UNC or NCState, I don't think either is better than TCU. Fresno is the one that scares the hell out of me right now. Speaking of Fresno, if they make a BCS bowl game, the payout to each WAC school, including SMU of course, would be between $1 million and $1.5 million. That would erase the athletic department's budget deficit, and leave some change left over. That, coupled with a commitment from the administration to spend more, should be used for a more serious commitment to football. Pay for top coaches, head coach and assistant coaches. Double the recruiting budget. Multiply the marketing budget a zillion times over. It amazes me that so few people in Dallas can know what's going on at such a beautiful campus as SMU, with so many things to offer.

A lot has been said about the $1 million INCREASE Maryland committed to its football program this year, and they hired a great coach in Coach Friedgen (or however you spell his name) a great staff of assistants and they are 2-0, having thumped UNC a couple of weeks ago and destroying Eastern Michigan yesterday. There's no reason we can't have similar results. Make the commitment, in terms of finances and personel, and the results will follow. Fresno has shown that a WAC team can develop if run properly.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: My thoughts on the game

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:52 pm

couple things? What did Slaten do that was so bad?

Next, if Fresno went to a BSC, SMU would get 1 million plus?? That would be huge.

I think Bischoff is a solid player who really earned his scholarship.
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football