PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson officially joins FSU in suing the ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Clemson officially joins FSU in suing the ACC

Postby malonish » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pm

Red Dragon Coog wrote:https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1770115657310384446?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I like how they also single out and blame SMU.

Where is SMU blamed in the thread you posted?
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:37 am

Apparently the ACC has now sued Clemson in NC. It may take 9 years for all of these cross firing lawsuits to resolve themselves. The ACC started by quoting the Clemson president's remarks when asked by he signed the GOR. It was about stability and a great deal. It also pointed out Clemson signed the thing 3 times. Another point, several articles have pointed out that the SEC doesn't want Clemson or FSU, they have resources in South Carolina and Florida and don't need more. However, they don't have any schools in NC or VA. Another rumor is that Clemson, FSU, UVA, UNC, NC State, VT, and Miami would form a breakaway conference leaving the BE leftovers, Wake, Duke, GT, SMU, Cal and Stanford behind. To me the leftovers would have more attraction nationally, to a network than a regional conference of 8 schools. However, the price tag for such a exit would be steep on the defectors. I wonder what WVU would do, if offered ACC membership.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:32 pm

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the era of the 8 school regional football conference is dead and gone forever. I could see those guys breaking away and then it would immediately be every one of them for themselves trying to get a ticket out. I can't imagine a conference like that would solve the actual problem FSU and Clemson face. . . that moneywise they are falling further behind the schools they aim to compete with in football year-in and year-out on the national stage. The only thing that fixes that problem for those schools is joining the SEC or Big 10, or unequal revenue sharing in the ACC. . . which so far has been a non-starter with the other ACC schools (except the newbies of course).
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:31 pm

EastStang wrote:Apparently the ACC has now sued Clemson in NC. It may take 9 years for all of these cross firing lawsuits to resolve themselves. The ACC started by quoting the Clemson president's remarks when asked by he signed the GOR. It was about stability and a great deal. It also pointed out Clemson signed the thing 3 times. Another point, several articles have pointed out that the SEC doesn't want Clemson or FSU, they have resources in South Carolina and Florida and don't need more. However, they don't have any schools in NC or VA. Another rumor is that Clemson, FSU, UVA, UNC, NC State, VT, and Miami would form a breakaway conference leaving the BE leftovers, Wake, Duke, GT, SMU, Cal and Stanford behind. To me the leftovers would have more attraction nationally, to a network than a regional conference of 8 schools. However, the price tag for such a exit would be steep on the defectors. I wonder what WVU would do, if offered ACC membership.

Let me run down some things about the ACC.

First, I naturally have go to UNC and Dook. That is easily the most important and valuable rivalry in basketball. It cannot equal the most valuable in football.l., but it is worth a whole lot more than most SEC and almost all BT football games. UNC is not going to want to split from Dook, and not just because of sports )(all sports are a super hot rivalry). UNC Dook as universities San research centers are more tied together than any 2 universities in the country.

Second, the ACC makes more money for ESPN than does the SEC. How? The ESPN deal screws the ACC, which gets paid a fraction per the number of TV viewers for ACC games that it pays for viewers of SEC games. That means that the ACC indeed is much more valuable than the Pac was and that the Big XII ever could be without Texas. That means ion the ACC were free of the onerous ESPN contract, then it could sign a new deal elsewhere and get money much closer to the SEC and BT. That plus giving some revenue based on TV drawing power could make the ACC permanently stable and able to compete in all things.

Third, I think that would take an outside investor buying into ESPN and wanting the ACC (say, Bezos for Amazon). Such a person I assume would want first to trim the ASCC of its dad weight in terms of TV viewers for football (BC and Wake are obvious, perhaps Syracuse also), and then also make the ACC larger to capture new viewers - AZ schools, more schools in TX, maybe Cincinnati, etc.

But I have no doubt that Sec and BT both want ACC as dead as the Pac, and right now ESPN is all behind that death just like Fox.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby jkflamebo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:07 pm

Does UNC follow FSU / Clemson and file after UNC Board of Trustees John Preyer comments?
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:34 pm

It's all Kremlinology at this point, but UNC suing the ACC would not surprise me one bit.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby orguy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:My Virginia buddy tells me the B1G has shown interest in both UNC and UVA. Both are AAU schools and there is talk of doing the Euro futball model with a 20 member conference, i.e., having two 10 member divisions "relegating" the bottom 2 finishers in the higher rated division and promoting the top 2 finishers from the lower rated division.

FSU and Clemson have made no secret of their SEC ambitions and both have strong rivalry games with SEC schools with strong traditions

South Florida is AAU. Point: UVA and UNC are elite academic schools independent of AAU status.

UVA is less desireable than UNC by large margin. Of course the Big 10 took Maryland/Rutgers.
Last edited by orguy on Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orguy
All-American

Postby orguy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:39 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the era of the 8 school regional football conference is dead and gone forever. I could see those guys breaking away and then it would immediately be every one of them for themselves trying to get a ticket out. I can't imagine a conference like that would solve the actual problem FSU and Clemson face. . . that moneywise they are falling further behind the schools they aim to compete with in football year-in and year-out on the national stage. The only thing that fixes that problem for those schools is joining the SEC or Big 10, or unequal revenue sharing in the ACC. . . which so far has been a non-starter with the other ACC schools (except the newbies of course).

The ACC had better figure out a revenue sharing plan or I give this conference 2 or 3 years.
SMU may be back in the AAC rather soon.
orguy
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 am

We gave up $270 Million in TV rights and Stanford and Cal gave up in total a like amount. That was supposed to be used by the ACC to develop a revenue sharing model to help the divas get more money. Let's say that you have $60 Million to split up each year. Give $15 Million to each ACC team in the CFP and any left over goes to the three teams with the highest TV ratings in football. Make the deal Commissioners. Hart, Turner and Miller put these clowns in a room and work out a deal. Then get ESPN, Amazon, and other streaming services into a room and say, how can we grow this pie and make all of you healthy. How about adding womens Beach Volleyball to our conference sports? That would give you some programming that would get viewship. Get creative.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby malonish » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 am

malonish wrote:
Red Dragon Coog wrote:https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1770115657310384446?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

2nd attempt: where was SMU in the original thread?
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:59 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Dukie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:11 am

indianmustang wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/and-then-what-plans-for-florida-state-clemson-remain-unclear-if-rivals-successfully-exit-acc/ar-BB1kmUUv

It cracks me up that Dodd included a great malapropism in that article: "tortuous interference." He means "tortious interference," as in based in tort law, but it sure will be tortuous too.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ShantyBoy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 am

malonish wrote:
malonish wrote:

2nd attempt: where was SMU in the original thread?

He hasn’t replied to you because (1) it’s not in there and (2) he hasn’t had time between his slurpee machine duties and his cigarette breaks. Why the mods continue to tolerate that troll is still baffling to me.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football