PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson officially joins FSU in suing the ACC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Clemson officially joins FSU in suing the ACC

Postby Red Dragon Coog » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:40 am

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status ... gr%5Etweet

I like how they also single out and blame SMU.
Red Dragon Coog
Recruit

Re: Clemson officially joins FSU in suing the ACC

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 pm

We knew this was coming, they have a P2 offer in hand.

UNC, Miami, UVA on deck now to do same...no coincidence this is occurring right after CFP $ negotiations have been going on. Any chance for program to get into P2 will be taken now.

Our best bet is to stay close to programs like BC, Wake, Duke, NC State, Cal, Stan, OrSt/Wazzu, etc. And hope for the best. Odds not in our favor.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 pm

I get UNC and. . . to a slightly lesser extent. . .Miami. But UVA? What value do they bring the big boys?

I hate all of this realignment stuff. . . first as an SMU fan of course. But also just because its just tearing up all the good things about college sports.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I get UNC and. . . to a slightly lesser extent. . .Miami. But UVA? What value do they bring the big boys?

I hate all of this realignment stuff. . . first as an SMU fan of course. But also just because its just tearing up all the good things about college sports.

UVA may be near the bottom...ND also on deck to make a move. Could be the one to hold or break the ACC completely.

Hate that this is happening as well. College football will never be what it once was in this new P2+payroll world.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby CBpony » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 pm

We are truly the kiss of death.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 pm

Join an NIL and the only thing we can do... is WIN.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm

CBpony wrote:We are truly the kiss of death.

Being an SMU fan since 1996 has always been a beating. I figure, why stop now?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:40 pm

My Virginia buddy tells me the B1G has shown interest in both UNC and UVA. Both are AAU schools and there is talk of doing the Euro futball model with a 20 member conference, i.e., having two 10 member divisions "relegating" the bottom 2 finishers in the higher rated division and promoting the top 2 finishers from the lower rated division.

FSU and Clemson have made no secret of their SEC ambitions and both have strong rivalry games with SEC schools with strong traditions
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 pm

The sad thing is that I honestly like the ACC the best, in terms of the combination of academics and athletics, vs any other conference. Unfortunately, we’re now at the mercy of the P2. Whatever ends up happening, I have to believe that we will be in a better spot than having stayed in the American.

The reality is that the NCAA operates as a cartel, and it’s driven by the large public universities.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PonyME » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 pm

I’m confident we’ll be fine regardless of how this plays out. Unlike basketball, the commitment is clearly there. At the same time, I don’t like our chances of us joining a X12 / ACC leftovers merger… I find it hard to believe X12 will change gears and find value in adding us. They’ve already said 4 Texas teams is enough and they don’t value SMU. So ‘the best of the rest’ conference under the ACC / PAC 2 umbrella is likely where we’ll wind up in my opinion. It would be a conference flush with cash and resources, I just hope we had language in our ACC ‘no media revenue’ for 9 years contract protecting us from these type of situations.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby PonyME » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:My Virginia buddy tells me the B1G has shown interest in both UNC and UVA. Both are AAU schools and there is talk of doing the Euro futball model with a 20 member conference, i.e., having two 10 member divisions "relegating" the bottom 2 finishers in the higher rated division and promoting the top 2 finishers from the lower rated division.

FSU and Clemson have made no secret of their SEC ambitions and both have strong rivalry games with SEC schools with strong traditions

Interesting…because if the ACC and X12 stood pat with existing teams and merged under this concept they would rival both ‘P2’ conferences in my opinion.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pm

PonyME wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:My Virginia buddy tells me the B1G has shown interest in both UNC and UVA. Both are AAU schools and there is talk of doing the Euro futball model with a 20 member conference, i.e., having two 10 member divisions "relegating" the bottom 2 finishers in the higher rated division and promoting the top 2 finishers from the lower rated division.

Interesting…because if the ACC and X12 stood pat with existing teams and merged under this concept they would rival both ‘P2’ conferences in my opinion.

I would say the ACC & Big XII should beat the B1G & SEC to the punch using the Euro model but ultimately the media suits will dictate what happens and I agree with the above comment that the larger public schools with larger fan followings are in the best position to influence whatever decisions are eventually made.
Charleston Pony

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I get UNC and. . . to a slightly lesser extent. . .Miami. But UVA? What value do they bring the big boys?

The state of VA is itself worth a great deal. And UNC demanding UVA will go a long way with both SEC and BT.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 pm

jkflamebo wrote:We knew this was coming, they have a P2 offer in hand.

UNC, Miami, UVA on deck now to do same...no coincidence this is occurring right after CFP $ negotiations have been going on. Any chance for program to get into P2 will be taken now.

Our best bet is to stay close to programs like BC, Wake, Duke, NC State, Cal, Stan, OrSt/Wazzu, etc. And hope for the best. Odds not in our favor.

I had hopes that Clemson would decide that being a likely ACC playoff team almost every year would keep it in the fold. Now, I wonder about the pressure on UNCK to leave.

My advice on adding to the ACC after defections is to avoid any more schools in the northeast: no UConn or Temple. If schools like UCF, Cincy, WVU, Baylor, TCU, TTU, Arizona, AZ St, Utah can leave the Big 12, take them ASAP. Otherwise add USF to get that large state school in FL. May want to also add FAU, if UCF will not come. Tulane is at least a good location for visiting and recruiting. James Madison may be able to rise more than it has.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:42 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:The sad thing is that I honestly like the ACC the best, in terms of the combination of academics and athletics, vs any other conference. Unfortunately, we’re now at the mercy of the P2. Whatever ends up happening, I have to believe that we will be in a better spot than having stayed in the American.

The reality is that the NCAA operates as a cartel, and it’s driven by the large public universities.

This is not about the NCAA, which does not run the CFB post-season at all. This is about mega globalist media corporations finding the already 2 richest leagues to force hostile tale overs of other conferences so they can basically steal all the post-season money.

There are 4 clear evil actors here: BT, SEC, Fox, and Disney/ESPN.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football