PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nm

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Nm

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:35 pm

MV pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:
MV pony wrote:[quote="Terry Webster"]I would be willing to bet that RR will ending pleading down to probation and a huge fine. And the NFL will hit him with a pretty stiff 8 game penalty. Knox sadly won't be so lucky.

RR was driving 119 mph seconds before the crash per arrest warrant affidavit obtained by the DMN. Do you condone soft consequences for this type of behavior?
As a good Christian pastor, I would believe Terry might stand on the side of forgiveness rather than harsh punishment. But that is just my opinion.

Forgiveness and punishment are two different things.[/quote]Well you can keep casting those stones. I am not worthy to do so
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:19 pm

CA Mustang wrote:Insurance doesn't cover intentional acts so any insurer will deny coverage due to the racing.

You can bet any coverage denial will be challenged by Rice & Knox's attorneys. Intentional acts might not be covered but the "unintended results of intentional acts" have been covered for a long time in most states. I haven't handled cases in Texas for years and don't know if they have exclusions for injuries/damages resulting from racing in auto policies but most places disallow exclusions that conflict with financial responsibility laws. Bottom line is this mess isn't going away anytime soon.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:17 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:Insurance doesn't cover intentional acts so any insurer will deny coverage due to the racing.

You can bet any coverage denial will be challenged by Rice & Knox's attorneys. Intentional acts might not be covered but the "unintended results of intentional acts" have been covered for a long time in most states. I haven't handled cases in Texas for years and don't know if they have exclusions for injuries/damages resulting from racing in auto policies but most places disallow exclusions that conflict with financial responsibility laws. Bottom line is this mess isn't going away anytime soon.

I'd be hard-pressed to imagine any insurance company covering losses resulting from racing (an act illegal everywhere).

A denial of coverage doesn't extinguish financial responsibility. It just means any payments will come from the individual, not the insurance company.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:30 am

When I left Texas in the late 80's, it had among the most liberal insurance laws in the country and was generally being developed via common law. They have since codified a lot of insurance law to help stabilize the legal environment but while injuries/damages resulting from racing might be excluded, Texas only allowed any exclusions to be enforced for damages in excess of the FR law. In Texas, you have to carry 30/60/25 liability limits meaning $30,000 for injury to any one person, $60,000 total per accident or event and $25,000 for property damage so those amounts will be available to each defendant. While there were reportedly no critical injuries and those amounts might be sufficient to pay compensatory damages, both of these guys will face punitive damages and that's where the real exposure will come in.
Charleston Pony

Postby malonish » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:16 am

Some of the greatest stone casters have been those that live in the largest glass houses paid for by similarly judgmental people's 10% :wink:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 pm

Arkpony wrote:The injured have a huge hammer on their side in money negotiations. RR either pays the enormous demand or they seek prison time for him. They will be ruthless. As far a Terry’s forgiveness, he wasn’t driving on of the victims cars. Gonna be interesting.

You guys that are lawyers probably know best, but I doubt RR sees much prison time or pays an "enormous demand" whatever that means. Of course by sheer luck he didn't kill anyone, but the fact is he didn't kill anyone. Certainly it will cost him. Plus the NFL will likely suspend him without pay for games, but I predict this will be brushed under the carpet via a significant (but not enormous) NDA.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Forgiveness and punishment are two different things.[/quote]Well you can keep casting those stones. I am not worthy to do so[/quote]

LOL. While you continue to be unworthy, I’ll continue to support innocent victims.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:34 am

I’ve been on both sides of these things, as a judge and attorney. I know how the system works.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:01 pm

Arkpony wrote:I’ve been on both sides of these things, as a judge and attorney. I know how the system works.

Arkpony....when the headline reads "victim is suing Rashee", does that really mean the car insurance company?, leasing company? or does it mean Rashee?....or maybe all of them since all of them have money?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Arkpony wrote:I’ve been on both sides of these things, as a judge and attorney. I know how the system works.

Arkpony....when the headline reads "victim is suing Rashee", does that really mean the car insurance company?, leasing company? or does it mean Rashee?....or maybe all of them since all of them have money?

Lawsuits will be filed by the victims against Rice & Knox but the insurance companies will be obligated to defend them so the answer is both. Rice and Knox will have exposure beyond the limits of their insurance coverage so they may well retain counsel of their own to help protect their interests (and to put pressure on the insurance companies to do everything possible to settle these cases). The insurance companies will have pressure to use the full extent of the combined coverages to try to resolve these claims but as the judge previously indicated, the victims/plaintiffs will have the "hammer" because you really don't want to entrust your fate to a jury when you are dealing with facts like those that will present in a case like this. These players have a huge mess on their hands and will be fortunate if they avoid jail time and you can only hope they grow up quickly after what they are going to experience for possibly years to come.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football