PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring Practice Updates?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring Practice Updates?

Postby Fooball » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:56 pm

I know spring practice is closed to the public, but is there any inside scoop on how everything has been going? Would love to know how the Jucos are doing, what the new offense looks like, and who is making a push for the starting backfield.
Fooball
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:08 pm

Corso in the "New Look Ponies" thread had some info, I wish he could update us more.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby buspen » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:16 pm

I hear both running backs have been excellent, apparently competition has both Munlin and Massey turning it up a notch. Munlin appears to be a bull dozer, very strong and running over people, Massey brings what was advertised. FB (I forgot his name) is showing to be very capable.

QB position - Phillips doing what he does well, Eckert may have the early edge even though the depth chart doesn't show it. He seems to be showing how strong his arm is as apposed to working on getting the ball catchable. The most interesting comment was Nixon probably has performed better than anyone but he is not getting the snaps.

O-line still a question/concern because of the age of the potential starters.

Wide outs are deeper still working on timing and the variety of QB's may be playing a part in drops, etc.

Defense looks good I think most underestimate how good the defense is as last year there was not an offense to help them out. LB's look very good, apparently Carrington's athletic ability is showing having a good spring and a lot of interceptions.

Special teams are not on learning curve but hit the ground running alot of fierce hitting. McMurtry and Mentzel will hold on to kicking duties.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:41 am

Interesting. I'd heard:

I was under the impression that Munlin is the clear-cut front-runner (no pun intended). Of course, I say that without having been to a practice, but I've talked with several people who have.

I hadn't heard a peep about Nixon. Where did you get that?

If Carrington, Muse and Cleveland end up starting at LB, it might be the fastest group at the position in school history, which will allow the coaches to do a lot of different things with the defense. Create a lot of different looks, etc.

I also had heard that McMurtray looks good, and that Mentzel seems to have a much stronger leg. Word is he's really booming punts in practice.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Corso » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:01 am

Some new observations:

• Foy Munlin and Richuel Massey aren't the team's only strong RBs. Derron Brown is exceptionally strong, as well. He's not as tall as some would like to see in a FB, but his power is extremely impressive. At a recent practice, he flattened Fred Turner without missing a step. Hardly even noticed there was contact. (Turner is OK.)

• Desmond Jones is the quickest 300-pound DT I've ever seen.

• Melvin Williams is thicker this year. I don't know what he weighs now, but he looks visibly stronger than last year, when he was listed at 245. I still remember him walking on campus as a freshman and thinking "he's kind of tall for a CB." Dude is a poster child for what Coach Faucette's program can do for a player.

• I get the sense they're rotating OLs, like they're fiddling with combinations of players to see who work well together. At a recent practice, the first unit consisted of (LT) Darrin Johnson, (LG) Caleb Peveto, (C) Brad Kieschnick, (RG) Martin Guidry and (RT) Chris Urbanus. Interesting.

• Avery Cleveland is so fast he'll make plays even if he doesn't learn the defense (but he is learning it, and well, I understand). He seems to have a nose for the ball.

• Massey has great reactions. At the practice I saw, there was a fumble on the C/QB exchange. Before anyone even started yelling "ball!", Massey scooped up the ball and took off. Later in the same practice, a pass was deflected at the line of scrimmage, changing direction almost 90 degrees. Massey had the presence of mind to realize the ball was headed his way (and fast), and reach out and spear the thing with one hand. Very impressive.

• OL Ben Poynter is a player on the rise. When he signed, he was "that other guy from Fred Turner's high school." No more. He's added maybe 30 pounds and he's probably the quickest OL on the team. He needs to get even bigger and stronger, but the Poynter playing this spring and the one who practiced in the fall don't even look alike. This guy must have moved into the weightroom at SMU.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Dooby » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:42 am

Thanks for the updates, Corso. Please keep 'em coming.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby WildHorse » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:38 pm

Definitely keep 'em coming! Your namesake is the most annoying dork on TV, but your sneak peeks at practice are terrific.

Any injuries of note this spring? There's always going to be a few guys who sit out with bumps and bruises, but is there anything significant to know about?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football