PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Friday Night Lights Movie

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Friday Night Lights Movie

Postby MustangSally » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:30 am

I think they are just wrapping up filming the movie Friday Night Lights, based on that book about the 88 Odessa Permian team. Kinda cool part of my day: I was on a plane today from PBI (Florida) to DFW and saw a kid boarding the plane wearing a black 'Permian' shirt and a UT hat. I figured he went to Permian and if I got the chance, I was gonna mention I had read the book about his school. I saw him at his seat as i passed by and he noticed me looking at his shirt and he looked up at me. I was about to say something when i realized he looked kinda familiar. I never said anything but just a little while ago, I looked up the movie on the net and saw that Derek Luke (played Antwone Fisher in that movie) is playing Boobie Miles (Luke is like 30 years old though) in the FNL movie. Wish I had said something to him, not too many floridians would have probably recognized the Permian shirt, but still cool to see him. Anyone else see them filming this movie around Texas? I wonder if they'll mention SMU in the movie at all, I think it was mentioned a few times in the book. Anyways, just wanted to post this, probably not useful to any of you, lol.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Higher Authority » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:06 am

You're right - not too useful. But very interesting, nonetheless! A brush with fame is always of interest, I guess.
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:45 pm

Since this thread seems to be a little different, I will mention that I read an article today in the special Billionaires issue of Forbes dated March 15, 2004 entitled, "Rhinestone Heiress." The article is about Nadja Swarovski whose family has generated a $1 billion fortune by cutting chips of glass - crystal. Annual sales for the company in the U.S. are $600 million and are $2 BILLION worldwide. Her family name is the European equivalent of Rockefeller. The article says that she was at Southern Methodist University in Texas, when she found that the name Swarovski meant "animals" in the U.S. "Not music to the ears of a highbrow heiress with an interest in marketing." She is now determined to elevate the family business worldwide from kitsch to couture.

Maybe Turner can prevail upon her family to make a small donation of a new basketball stadium for her alma-mater! :lol:
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football