PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Running Backs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Running Backs

Postby stangfan » Sun Sep 09, 2001 3:57 pm

This is my last year at SMU and I've watched in total disbelief at the unfairness in this program. I'm from Dallas and knew of Pipkins. I couldn't believe after his second year he still wasn't given a chance to really contribute to the team (outside of practice). I understood when Rodnick Phillips was here. He had the stats. But then Briggs came and he suddenly became a star I don't see it. Briggs hasn't produced much but he's still the favorite. Now, it's Kincaide and the other freshman. Pipkins has had great spring and summer workouts. His teammates and coaches always brag on his toughness, leadership and work ethic. He even won the "M" award at last year's banquet. When will he be given a chance?

Some say Pipkins hasn't produced but I don't think he's been given the opportunity. He started the first two games last season and was suddenly out.

Last season we all saw how Freeman stunk at receiver but was given time and he's much better. I believe Pipkins and other players like Dorsey and Riley have been looked over.

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Re: Running Backs

Postby PonyPower » Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:02 pm

I agree with you that Riley, and to a lesser extent Dorsey, have been overlooked when it comes to getting a fair shake at playing time. But with all due respect to Pip, it doesn't matter. If the offensive line plays like it did last night, you could throw out a backfield that includes Ramon Flanigan at QB, Eric Dickerson and Doak Walker at running back and I'm still not sure we could run the ball. The Cavan-and-Kueck braintrust needs to scrap the idea that they're going to establish the run and pound out yardage to wear down the opposing defense -- ain't going to happen. Leave a RB in the game (Briggs, since he's big), tell him it's his job to block whoever comes crashing through the line and let Luker/Page pass until their arms fall off. (This, of course, is based on the notion that the receivers don't drop so many passes.) Only running plays should be reverses to Freeman, but not six times like we tried against LaTech. Kueck arrived at SMU (the second time) with a reputation as an offensive genius because of the schemes he drew up at Marshall ("locate Randy Moss and chuck it to him") and Southern Miss. Let's see that creativity come to the forefront and figure out ways to get the ball into the hands of the guys with speed -- Freeman, Comet, the freshmen (Taylor and Griffin), even Cardwell, who looked pretty fast on that non-touchdown yesterday. Pounding the run with this line will not work.
PonyPower
All-American

Re: Running Backs

Postby ponytalk » Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:59 pm

Pip is getting the Cavan shaft.

Pennington got it. I guess Pip is the next.

I respect Pip, and respected Penny, for not quitting or transfering. It is nothing more than coaches wasting talent.

Hang in their Pip!
ponytalk
Varsity

Return to Football