PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Strong Mustangs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Strong Mustangs

Postby Stampede » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:32 pm

Word from the weight room is that Foy Munlin and Richuel Massey each squated 635 lbs. for 5 times (reps)

Taht is some serious stregnth!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:26 pm

Can anyone put this in context - what is normal for a running back in a top program - where have we been in the past in our skill postions?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

RB Strength

Postby davidsmu94 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:53 pm

It's well above average. Leg strength is important but not the sole determining factor in the success of a back. I can only speak when I was in school (90-94) we didn't have anyone go over 550 that I can remember.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Re: RB Strength

Postby D » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:11 pm

THat is pretty impressive for Foy and Richuel.
On the second post, you might be forgetting ahmad hayes (DT) who bent a number of bars with his squats. Bordo, Swann and Kidd also were quite the squat machines. I'm not sure of the numbers, but if I remember right Ahmad was 700+. Granted, they were not RBs, but there were some pretty impressive squat numbers put up in the weight room in the 90's. Of the RBs, I think Rodnick put up the biggest numbers - but definitely not 635.
D
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:28 am

There's an offseason conditioning story coming soon -- hopefully this week.
PonyPride

Postby davidsmu94 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 am

No I didn't forget Amhad, he wasn't a running back, but he did squat 800 pounds at one point.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby Corso » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:42 am

I don't see how someone with leg strength like that can even walk.
Damn impressive, though.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby apk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:23 pm

yes these guys r very strong they will help the stangs running game recover from the loss of kincade
apk

Postby davidsmu94 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:21 pm

back when I was lifting competitively one of the guys I would lift against in Olympic lifting was a converted Power Lifter who squated over 1100 pounds. That's strong
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:37 am

That's beyond strong - that's scary. How could someone that strong even walk?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby davidsmu94 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:22 am

not only that but he was 5'6 and could slam a basketball
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby bhop » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:53 am

"yes these guys r very strong they will help the stangs running game recover from the loss of kincade"

Look, I respect Keylon Kinkade for being a warrior in an almost helpless situation, but now that he's gone I'm looking for a significant upgrade in our running game, not just a recovery. Kincade was a workhorse, but he was slow, didn't score many touchdowns, and had an annoying habit of turning the ball over in critical situations. I don't think he would have been a starter at most D-1A programs. The fact that Kincade was the focus of our offense had less to do with his abilities than how pitiful the rest of our offense was. I'm hoping that Massey and Munlin will take our running game to the next level. It sounds like they are faster and stronger than Kincade. Hopefully they will be less prone to fumbling on the goal line as well.
bhop
Scout Team

Postby Dooby » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:01 am

Bhop, I agree 100%. Kincaid was a workhorse, for sure. But I am much more excited to see Munlin and Massey. Somebody had a contraversial comment that Kincaid was maybe the 4th best back on the team last year but everybody else was being redshirted, hurt or sitting out (Munlin). Kincaid got a lot of yards on a lot of carries. I feel pretty confident that next year the yards per carry will go up.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:36 am

From what I've been told, we may have something very special in Massey. He is a big-time athlete with size and skill. I love the thought of Phillips at QB with Massey and Munlin in the backfield. That is some serious D-1 talent at the skill positions...big, strong and fast!!!
LA_Mustang

Postby WildHorse » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:52 pm

Massey might indeed be special - like the rest of you, I hope so. But I keep hearing that Foy Munlin is close to being special this year, as opposed to the future promise of Massey. Either way, it sounds like two very talented backs. And I keep hearing that Cedrick Dorsey might be the best of the three before it's all over. Granted, that was told to me by someone who's been known to see the glass half-full more often than not, but he talks to folks in the program, and the reports he keeps passing on to me indicate that Dorsey dazzles folks in practice with a combination of moves, speed, power and balance. I get the sense he's still a year away (remember, he was signed to play DB), but his ability has a bunch of folks quietly excited.

And what if Jessie Henderson, DeMyron Martin and Andrew McKinney are as good as advertised? Think the refs would let our offense have a couple extra footballs on the field to make sure there's enough to go around?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football