PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any Word on CUSA Expansion?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Any Word on CUSA Expansion?

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:43 pm

It seems to be quiet on the issue of whether CUSA should expand and, if so, by how many. No timeline mentioned either.

What's new?
:?:
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:28 pm

Go over to the CUSA board they are eviscerating each other over there. There seems to be a rather large wee, wee contest between La Tech folks and UNT folks. I jump in occasionally to throw in some gasoline. Anyway, apparently SMU's administration favors one team and preferably La. Tech because they've been in the same conference with us (and were kind of left high and dry by Tulsa, SMU and Rice) and travel would be easy. Most posters on the board would like to get three teams from Ohio, Toledo, Miami of Ohio, and Bowling Green (although Northen Ill would be okay, too). Others favor Temple. Rumor has it that everything is on hold until the NCAA Division 1-A committee meets (in April or May?) concerning the 15,000 butts in seats rule. If it is not delayed or watered down, the MAC will be in jeopardy, in which case three MAC schools may be interested, otherwise they're not. If they don't leave the MAC, Temple would be approached apparently by CUSA and the MAC. If they aren't interested, La. Tech and UTEP are the favorites.
EastStang

Unreliable sources - CUSA 12th team, WAC expansion

Postby Southland » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:19 pm

Word out here is that the WAC is banking on Louisiana Tech becoming the 12th CUSA school, and will become a true western league.

The WAC would then offer Idaho to become its 9th all sports school, and get this...

...extend a non-football, full membership offer to Gonzaga, Portland and Pepperdine to become a 12-school, 2-division league in sports other than football.

Pacific: Gonzaga-Portland, Fresno-San Jose, Pepperdine-Hawaii
Mountain: Nevada-Utah St, Boise-Idaho, UTEP-New Mexico St.

Again, unreliable sources told me this... but god does that make a lot of sense. No one is going to add significant value to a WAC football contract, and look what it does for basketball...

Gonzaga is a regular in the NCAAs; UTEP and Nevada were there this season; Fresno, Hawaii, Utah State are post season regulars, while Portland, Pepperdine and Boise have all made the postseason recently. Top to bottom, that would be the best non-BCS basketball league.
Southland
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:18 pm

Thanks Eastang and Varsity for both responses. Great insight.

What is interesting is the threat to MAC. If CUSA could get Miami (OH), Toledo and Bowling Green, that would be strong.

Temple would be nice because of BB and Philadelphia, but everything I have heard is that they only want to do FB and CUSA doesn't want that.

Between La Tech and NT, LT would probably get the nod if only one school is taken.

Lastly, I still love the idea of a special afiliation with Army and Navy for a minimum of four or five FB only games a year. They both belong in the Patriot League for everything else.

In addition, Sunbelt may need to concentrate their member schools in the SW and SE to tight up their membership like the WAC example. What happens to MAC remains a mystery until CUSA finalizes it approach.

Overall, the rationalization by geography serves everyone well including the traveling student-athletes and fans. Only TCU doesn't benefit.

Net: Do we will need to wait to see what the NCAA will do on reforms, before any decisions are made?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:40 pm

you know between NTSU and Louisiana Tech I think I would just as soon have NTSU-can't understand why SMU, Tulsa and Rice have these feelings of kinship with Louisiana Tech . I'm not saying I'm pulling for NTSU because I kinda hope neither is chosen because I want USM to move West. In the long run NTSU offers far more in terms of growth potential and rivalry except that they might just beat our [deleted] and really embarrass a lot of people. When you're 0-12 that type of stuff really is asinine. You can't be afraid to play the NTSUs of the world or you know there is something wrong with your program. That being said the only thing holding NTSU back is itself. Facilities complete and alumni support not a bunch of drawings on paper and its a No-brainer.
Stallion

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:15 pm

Stallion wrote:you know between NTSU and Louisiana Tech I think I would just as soon have NTSU-can't understand why SMU, Tulsa and Rice have these feelings of kinship with Louisiana Tech . I'm not saying I'm pulling for NTSU because I kinda hope neither is chosen because I want USM to move West. In the long run NTSU offers far more in terms of growth potential and rivalry except that they might just beat our [deleted] and really embarrass a lot of people. When you're 0-12 that type of stuff really is asinine. You can't be afraid to play the NTSUs of the world or you know there is something wrong with your program. That being said the only thing holding NTSU back is itself. Facilities complete and alumni support not a bunch of drawings on paper and its a No-brainer.

Jeez! Stallion! Have you been to a Billy Graham Crusade or something?!?!? :shock: LOL!

Just go check out what used to be the UNT golf course by the Radisoon Hotel and Conference Center to show we are beyond the "drawings on paper" stage.

Peace....
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Return to Football