PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Temple to be 12th Member of CUSA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Temple to be 12th Member of CUSA

Postby Water Pony » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:34 am

Breaking news, Temple will join for FB in 2005 and the remaining sports (including BB) over the next three years. Welcome to the Owls, the Philadelphia market and Bill Cosby:

:D

Temple Football Set to join Conference USA
Other Owl programs to follow in coming years

By Bob Brookover
Inquirer Staff Writer

(AP) Philadelphia, Pa. -

Temple University officials are expected to announce today that their wayward Football program has found a new home – In Conference USA. The officials, who will meet with members of the Conference USA offices in Chicago later today, are expected to announce an agreement by which Temple Football will join Conference USA as the league’s twelfth Football member. Such an agreement will allow the fledging league a chance to form a two-division league that will host a Conference Championship Game as soon as 2005.

“We’re extremely excited to be joining a league with the quality of teams Conference USA has in it.” Said Scott McMurphy of the TU Sports Information Bureau.
“This allows us to make a transition from the Big East into what should be a more competitive and possibly more lucrative league that has nothing but potential for greatness.”

Temple’s addition to the league, made up of mostly of schools in the South and Southwest, helps balance out a conference that underwent radical changes in the past few months. Gone are established members Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Marquette, and DePaul to the Big East and Saint Louis and Charlotte to the Atlantic 10. New members to the league are Marshall, Central Florida, Rice, Southern Methodist and Tulsa. Temple would become the twelfth member school. The Owls will participate in Conference USA as a Football school-only as of 2005 and then will add other sports programs in the next three years.

“We see this as a progressive move whereby Football gets an immediate boost while the other sports (primarily Men’s Basketball) get to prepare for the league shift.” Says McMurphy.

The transition to Conference USA coincides with a major push in support and commitment from the Temple alumni and athletic sectors to boost the Owls athletic Department. The Fly, Owls, Fly Club, formed after the Big East review of Temple Football, has been said to have raised over $10 million earmarked solely for Temple Football.

“It provides the sort of revenue stream that will allow Football to grow.” Said another TU official.

Donations from prominent alumni, politicians and even celebrity alum Bill Cosby have boosted the efforts to finance TU Football in their new league. Surprisingly, many are on board with the project, including Temple Men’s Basketball coach John Chaney, an early dissenter of joining Conference USA.

“I see the wisdom of affiliating with this league.” Said Chaney” There are some good basketball schools and some fine universities in this new league. It’s a group Temple can benefit from.”

Conference USA officials said they had been having meetings with Temple athletic people over the past few weeks about Temple joining the league. C-USA officials were concerned about Temple’s woeful performance in Football in the Big East and their relative distance from the core of Conference USA. These issues were meted out when Temple agreed to commit money needed to boost the program. It is felt that Temple’s addition in Basketball will also boost the league. Temple, located in the USA’s fifth largest TV Market, will help Conference USA secure a lucrative Television contract with ESPN and well as Fox TV. Comcast Cable, which is located in Philadelphia, is also said to be interested in televising Conference USA games exclusively on their broad network of cable outlets.

“We see this as a win-win situation” said one C-USA official, “We finally get to have a Football championship game and we bring in a fine member institution like Temple University.”

More details of the Football addition will be laid out in the next week.

Contact staff writer Bob Brookover at 215-854-2577 or bbrookover@phillynews.com.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:44 am

What does this mean for the UNT and LaTechs of the world? Are they now far less likely to get a CUSA bid? :?:
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:01 am

Well I heard that Arizona State and Arizona are leaving the PAC10 and Colorado is leaving the Big XII and joining the MWC. Arkansas will be moving to the Big XII, and La. Tech will receive an SEC invitation and UNT will be going to the WAC. This rumor is validated from a source close to Bob Brookover at the Philadelphia Inquirer. TCU is overjoyed that the slinked into a great deal for themselves.
EastStang

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:22 am

Fantastic.. This could also help J. Tubby sell Mbball to high profile players.

Any idea about when Bball joins?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ponydawg » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:23 am

April Fools anyone.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:42 am

If this is true, I would guess this would be the last nail in the coffin for UNT or LT to join the CUSA. If we add Temple, 12 is the magic number and Temple would add the Philly market. This was a superb addition, the best of all possible scenarios from an advertising/ESPN/media approach and it strengthens basketball considerably. Unless they work out a football deal with Army and Navy, my guess is CUSA probably has strengthened it's hand to where we should hold for awhile and build on what we have, once we determine who shifts west to fill tcu's vacancy. Ideally, I'd like to see Southern Miss, but Memphis would work too.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:44 am

Are you being facetious or is that really something you heard? We've been hearing about people supposedly leaving the Big XII for awhile now, but I cannot fathom a school willingly leaving a BCS conference for a non-BCS conference and forfeiting the enormous amount of money therein.
Eddie P
Heisman

hahaha

Postby stein000012 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:16 pm

MWC getting those 3 schools is the funniest thing I have heard all day... Arizona schools leaving the Pac 10 for the Mountain West Conference...Whoever believes that is a fool....Sorry but those schools aren't going anywhere....Also, Colorado wants to get into Pac 10 not MWC...
stein000012
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:17 pm

Temple improves the possibility that a special alliance with Army and Navy (for four FB games each yr.) becomes more realistic.

Like it.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Dooby » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:47 pm

IT IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!

It is copied from CUSABBS forum. There is no story in the newspaper or on the paper's website.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:46 pm

I added a little bit of fuel to the joke. I caught it right away and that's why I piled on to see how many of you would bite. You can pull the fish hooks out of your lips now.
EastStang

Postby MizterTea » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:08 pm

these CUSA member "jokes" are not very interesting or funny

...they should have said UNT was the next member and watch the flames.

if you like BBS jokes on April 1 - try the SA Spurs site:

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/index.php?

or the Houston Rockets site:

www.clutchfans.com
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:17 pm

real cute.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Re:

Postby MizterTea » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:05 pm

I think it would have been great if the Ponyfans and killerfrog webmasters had pulled the switch on the sites!
MizterTea
Varsity

Return to Football