PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Opinion on SMU's fight song?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Opinion on SMU's fight song?

Postby ALL4SMU » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:42 pm

I am curious what everyone's opinion on our fight song is? I wasn't crazy about it at first, but as time went on, i kinda started to like it...Even though it is ....comin round the mountain...
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Re: Opinion on SMU's fight song?

Postby MizterTea » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:14 pm

ALL4SMU wrote:I am curious what everyone's opinion on our fight song is? I wasn't crazy about it at first, but as time went on, i kinda started to like it...Even though it is ....comin round the mountain...

First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby 50's PONY » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:24 pm

Nothing will EVER replace it!
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:15 pm

Unlike most schools, it doesn't sound exactly like every other fight song. It is unique. Something the people that tried to replace the mascot peruna couldn't seem to understand.

Also, how many people can say their fight song and mascot are named after booze?
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Opinion on SMU's fight song?

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:19 pm

ALL4SMU wrote:I am curious what everyone's opinion on our fight song is? I wasn't crazy about it at first, but as time went on, i kinda started to like it...Even though it is ....comin round the mountain...

I'd rather play it all day rather than that faster version of Taps that UT calls a fight song.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:53 pm

Don't mess with tradition!
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:32 pm

The previous "new" fight song a couple of years ago lasted one game I believe. I haven't heard it since it bombed out on opening day of that year, but I do remember that it lacked pizzazz!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LATech » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:42 am

Every time we play SMU it takes a full week to get your fight song out of my memory. I can handle the first 30 times the band plays it, after that -> zombie.
LATech
Scout Team

Re:

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:04 am

Ponymon wrote:The previous "new" fight song a couple of years ago lasted one game I believe. I haven't heard it since it bombed out on opening day of that year, but I do remember that it lacked pizzazz!

Actually I do remember it being played one game last season lord I hate that "new" fight song. Nothing could change our fight song!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:08 am

LATech's remarks about not being able to get it out of your head says it all. Next to RockyTop and Boomer Sooner, I don't know of many fight songs that accomplish it. Football and basketball alike, I think we have the upper hand with regard to fight songs. When I launch it from the desktop, if I close my eyes, I can smell the stale smell of sweat and popcorn and in an instant feel like I'm at Moody.

Don't mess with Peruna.[/quote]
RGV Pony

Postby ponyte » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:14 am

Years gone by, the fast paced tune fit well with the late-in-the- game SMU offensive comebacks. Soft during the play and brassy after the play. It gave a very exciting charge to the atmosphere. Now the tune fits well with the desperate, running for his life, quarterback scrambles we have become accustom to seeing.

I for one would appreciate the return of the good old days when the tune fit with a fast paced offense.

Regardless, it seems the tune is very flexible in that it fits a successful offense and it fits a desperate quarterback’s mad dash for safety. I say we keep it.
ponyte

Postby gostangs » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:08 am

It is impossible to oversate the importance of our fight song. When our teams are good (remember back then, keep trying....) the song is the single most annoying thing about us according to our opponants, and you just don't give up that kind of power to infuriate.

There is nothing better on a long drive then hearing the band go quiet and then loud - when the team is moving and has had some history of scoring, you just know they are going in the end zone and there is nothing that will stop them - I think it is some sort of pavlov's dog thing to the other team (when we are good that is) where they almost expect us to score when they start hearing it. - I was at the game where they set the record - even I was contemplating suicide and I love the song.

In Basketball - the band controls the occasional large visiting fan section with the various versions of Peruna. No peruna, no home court advantage - our worthless and wimpy students certainly don't give us any advantage - unless "Knight" is in town. -
gostangs

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:11 am

Peruna is a great fight song- there's absolutely nothing else like it in college sports. It's easy to play, the band does have a repertoire of different styles, and it does get under opponents' skins, even when we're not good, and the Peruna medley (Straight, Rock 'n' Roll, Dixie, and especially the big ending) is as impressive a fight song as anything USC or and Big Ten band plays. We unfortunately don't hear it enough.

Peruna, interspersed with Pony Battle Cry (and my novelty fave, Dial M for Mustang) makes for a fun afternooon of pep tunes, and that doesn't even include the Mustang Jazz classics.

On another note, what is this garbage about the MBand having to raise $1 million to move the band hall? Why isn't the university doing it for them? We're rebuilding three frat houses. I'm not knocking the Lambda Chis, SAEs and Sigma Chis who contribute to the school in their ways, but the MBand IS school spirit, especially these days. Without them, SMU wouldn't have the distinct and classy feel it has and frankly, without them, SMU might as well be any other bland urban state school- the MBand is frequently the only real cheering section the school has anymore. They are our kamakazi die hards among the students.

The athletic department knows it will need space to do much-needed improvements on the aquatic center, so moving the band to new facilities makes sense, why doesn't the school do the right thing and pony up the dough? This is ridiculous. The Mustang Band deserves much better than this from the community they so visibly and rabidly support.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:04 pm

Peruna is great. I love hearing it played, over and over and over again. It adds excitement even to a bad game. The Michigan, ND, Ga. Tech, and USC fight songs are well known. But for the best use of a fight song our Band gets the highest marks. No other school has ever used their song like we use ours. USC comes close with that sort of trojan marching thing they do while play is going on (not their fight song), but its not nearly as rapid fire.
EastStang

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

The greatest fight song in all of sports. Bar none. As a kid, in the glory days of the early eighties, I would hum it while playing pick up football in the empty lot across the street from my house. When I was in junior high, I would put in on repeat while I played Madden on my Sega... I could continue, but you get the point.

It was, perhaps, one of the most influential songs of my youth. I do agree with ponyte, I look forward to that frenetic mayhem from the late in the game touch down drives. It always felt like Texas Stadium was on the verge of exploding.

She'll be loaded with Peruna when she comes...
ThadFilms

Next

Return to Football