PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UTEP

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UTEP

Postby SMUstang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:29 am

The latest rumors on the CUSABBS indicate that UTEP seems to be the front runner for the slot TCU is vacating in C-USA. I know how I feel about that, but what do the rest of you think?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:05 am

I think it is the wrong direction geographically, but otherwise I have no real opinion about it, if that happened that sure would leave La. Tech sitting in no man's land in the WAC.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:48 pm

I'm indifferent to Utep, but I gotta believe there is something to be gained from inviting them. They are part of the UT system. An invitation to CUSA could benefit Utep fundraising quite a bit, thereby aiding the budget problems in the State of Texas. Now whats that worth at the negotiating table? You tell me, but SMU has enough interplay with UT and the Big 12 that sooner or later subtle favors come into play in survival. What if SMU could get a home game against UT out of a yes vote for Utep? Dont laugh, just remember the Virginia-Va Tech situation that played out publicly last year.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:12 pm

Frankly, aiding the University of Texas system seems like a terrible reason to let UTEP into the CUSA, as if we had much say in the matter. Frankly, if I were the Texas tax payer, I'd be furious with the amount of $$$ wasted on Division I athletics by Texas state universities.

Of course, there's the argument that athletic budgets are donated by alumni, but to be fair, every dollar donated to the athletic department is a dollar that doesn't go to actually running the school system. If the UT and A&M systems are so flush, why not reduce state funding of the institutions, since the athletic programs and oil fund should cover expenses and use the money elsewhere in the state where it is badly needed, say at the secondary and elementary education levels?

I'm coming down off my soapbox now.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:23 pm

Hey, I got no love for UT or its system whatsoever. But lets be honest, this is a game of survival. SMU has to be very shrewd in how it plays things. There is politics in everything, much more than we ever know. Now Greenwich, if I were you, I'd forget about all this and enjoy a fine Za from Westport Pizzaria for dinner tonight.
Hoop Fan

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:34 pm

I prefer UTEP (over other SW schools) because they travel well. With three other teams in Texas, that means something. They bring their band and have tons of alums all over the state. They have an NCAA basketball championship which no other NCUSA team has ever had. With Price and their recent NCAA appearance in basketball their money sports should be improved. I still would prefer an eastern school like Temple over UTEP because that would mean at least one trip to Philly every four years for the Ponies (and an easy train ride for me and the other 700 Washington DC area alums).
EastStang

Postby Dooby » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:49 pm

Little to no interest in UTEP. I have no interest in going out to El Paso. Despite the ridiculous debate I got caught up in, I prefer UNT.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

UTEP

Postby SMUstang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:25 pm

Now that several of you have posted your opinions, I can reveal my own. I think that UTEP brings more to the table than any other candidate that has been mentioned. They have good home attendance and they travel well with lots of alumni all over Texas but predominately in the Dallas and Houston areas. They always bring their band and lots of cheerleaders to Dallas. They bring their cheerleaders even for basketball games. A game with UTEP feels more like an old SWC game than a game with La Tech or UNT. In that department they compare with TCU. That's why I like them. Plus they have been and will be very competitive in both football and basketball. Membership in C-USA should help them in recruiting Texas. We don't need to be concerned about what is going to happen to La Tech. What we need to be concerned with is what is best for C-USA. The rest will take care of itself.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:51 pm

What seems to be best for CUSA would be eastern expansion - UTEP is not interesting at all to me. I would rather see any of the MAC teams mentioned first. We need but sin seats and/or TV's. None of the options fixes the attendence - but adding an eastern TV market helps alot it seems to me.
gostangs

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:28 pm

I agree that the CUSA needs to go east, Temple being the obvious choice, if they are interested. A MAC team wouldn't hurt either, especially considering the shape the MAC is in. UTEP only makes sense if no eastern team is available, and I have to agree, I do prefer UTEP to LA Tech or UNT. I don't think just because UTEP is in the UT system will have any affect on Austin Community College's decisions for the future.

And before we read a novel about UNT not being your second cousin's little brother's friend's uncle's NTSU, I don't care. A rose by any other name will stink the same. UNT does have a lot of potential and apparently has hired a bunch of contractors to make it even bigger, and yes, maybe in another decade it will be Dallas' answer to the University of Houston. Wow. What an ambition. I just can't get excited about the Green. I'm not all that thrilled about playing UH, and there's ugly history there. And I really feel for LA Tech, but they are a school that I think brings even less to the table than we do.

If the CUSA is going to make a good run of it, and I do think that they can, we have to really step up as a program (redo Moody and practice courts anyone?) and we need to draw someone from the East. Temple would be good. An aggressive U Richmond program might be interesting, but perhaps not the best solution. Miami (OH) would fit. Someone from the east and preferrably to the north to get the east coast media riled up. And the Army/Navy deal wouldn't hurt either. With Temple and Army/Navy, the CUSA could again command the advertising $$$ despite defections. UTEP would be great, if they were located 200 miiles from New York City. But they're not.

I'm in a bad mood. I think I will go order that 'Za, though I could use a prime rib from the Peppermill or Mario's. Actually, I'm craving a Snufferburger, but that's out of the realm of possibility today...
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:33 pm

Dooby I'm with you-if it comes down to schools with the academic standards of Louisiana Tech and NTSU I'd just as soon play NTSU because there would be a real rivalry here and we'd get to see an extra game in the Metroplex every year. I'm not endosing NTSU though because I hope Southern Miss comes west. It turns my stomach to hear the excuses of the cheerleaders on this board though that simply don't want to play NTSU because they are afraid of losing to them or because of some perceived superiority to NTSU. La Tech ain't no Ivy League institution either. I believe NTSU has about 10 times the potential-for that reason alone SMU will probably prefer someone else. Walking around like Chicken Little afraid to play NTSU is pitiful. On the other hand there is some truth to the preference in playing other Big 12 teams and TCU in non-conference as opposed NTSU.
Stallion

UTEP

Postby SMUstang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:24 pm

The information I am going on says that Temple is not interested in an all-sports membership in C-USA. Without them bringing their basketball, as far as I am concerned, the deal is off. Also there is no one MAC team that is willing to jump to C-USA alone. So they have decided on a wait and see stance in the MAC. If there are any other viable eastern teams available, I am not aware of them unless we are willing to drop below the Division 1-A level. I'm not.

La Tech may be in trouble financially if Louisiana pulls it's support. UNT barely draws 15,000 home attendance in a winning season. That leaves UTEP. You make the call.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:55 pm

I think that UTEP brings a lot to the table. Good fan support in Dallas. Great basketball tradition. Etc. But I have two concerns: First, since UTEP appears to be such a good prospect, why did the MWC pick TCU over them? Second, if UTEP is granted admission into CUSA, would they leave us if the MWC came knocking? Afterall, they are farther west and close to some of those schools.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby ponyte » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Does CUSA have to expand at this moment? Can CUSA wait a year and see if the environment alters? Nothing against (or for) UNT, LaTech or UTEP, however, CUSA just underwent a huge change. Schools have left and schools were added. Would it not be in CUSA's best interested to wait and see?

One might expect changes that might be more advantageous to CUSA after a year. Now one might make the argument that the environment may be worse. UNT, LaTech and UTEP will more then likely will be available in one year (unless the SEC expands and adds Latech, Big 12 expand and demand UNT and MWC begs to have UTEP back in the old WAC).

In the mean time, MAC teams may have a change of heart, the BCS could change its policies and offer more opportunities for non-BCS conferences and other schools may see advantages to joining CUSA.

Time may be an advantage and haste may limit opportunities.
ponyte

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:15 pm

agree - what's the hurry anyway...time to stand pat & see what unfolds for next yr...we know the little east isn't doing anything & the mac might as well implode so that puts c-usa is in the drivers seat for now.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Next

Return to Football