PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thursday Scrimmage

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thursday Scrimmage

Postby IslandBoy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:50 am

Just saw this on SMUMustangs.com:

Open Scrimmage Set For Thursday
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, April 7, 2004

DALLAS (SMU) - As spring practice nears a close, the SMU football team will hold a scrimmage on Thursday, April 8, at 2:45 p.m. in Gerald Ford Stadium.

With just three sessions remaining prior to the Red-Blue Game on April 17, Head Coach Phil Bennett will provide fans a preview of the 2004 squad.

“It’s been fun this spring,” said Bennett. “We’ve got competition at every position, and that’s something we haven’t had in my time here.”

In addition to the competition for starting spots, spring practice has seen several players move to new positions. Fred Turner has moved to wide receiver, while Don Ieremia-Stansbury and Rico Harris are at linebacker and Johnnie Fitzgerald plays in the secondary, just to name a few.

The scrimmage is free and open to the public.
Last edited by IslandBoy on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandBoy

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 am

I just remembered a 2:30 doctor's appointment tomorrow :wink:
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:47 pm

Wanted to move this post back up to the top to remind everyone of today's scrimmage. Hope to see you there!
ponyboy

Postby Fooball » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:30 pm

Any update from the scrimmage would be greatly appreciated for us out-of-towners.
Fooball
Junior Varsity

Postby Dooby » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:35 pm

Yes, and for us poor b@st@rds that have to work and have already used the doctor excuse this week.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:24 pm

I went for the second half of the scrimage. Strange seeing four receiver sets. Never saw #1 offense vs. #1 defense. To be honest, I watched probably forty plays and only saw one completion, from Rowland, on the first string defense for a touchdown. Probably saw 20 incompletions. Not impressive. Don't want to sound negative, but none of the qb's looked very good. Phillips ran well. Maybe its just learning a new offense and timing with receivers. Maybe they tore it up in the first half that I missed.

Hopefully the spring game will show us more.

On a positive note, it did look like a lot of the newcomers are going to be starting this year. Phillips and Eckert were rotating with the first string. Munlin looks to be starting, as do Lowery and Chase at recievers. Not going to try and spell his name, but the corner from Air Force was playing with the first string as well.
Mike Damone
All-American

re: QBs

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:48 pm

FOY looked REALLY strong

QBs:

For what it's worth, I thought that the QBs performed in groups:

(these aren't grades, but levels of how they performed relative to each other).

Eckert, Phillips, then
Meeks, Romo, then
Nixon, Rowland

They seemed to miss on deep balls.

Eckert seems to have the most zip but struggles on deeper balls, Romo tends to run and is quite good at scrambling, Phillips possesses the best all-around of every skill (run,pass,scramble) but is a bit erratic on short passes. Romo's arm isn't as strong as the others. Nixon looked good at times.

Duke Hasson played some possession WR.

The DEs seemed to step it up.

Our kicking game concerns me, Wolcott can't get it off the ground, McMurtry is erratic but made most of them. Meeks isn't our backup punter hopefully. the first team punter booted them though.

I am sure I missed something, and I didn't have film to break down the QBs as for theirs vs. others' mistakes.

The OL looks bigger.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

scrimmage

Postby ponyguts » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:01 pm

I think the scrimmage went well for both the o and d. The first half of the scrimmage was all 1s vs 1s and 2s vs 2s. The offense scored a few times including 3 or 4 touchdowns and a few field goals. Munlin dominated the D everytime he got the ball. Passing the ball did seem a little off at times but will hopefully get better as time passes. No big stand outs on the D. Just pretty solid all round play. It also looked as if Bennett was calling all the D which is a change from Gush making the calls last year. Kicking game looked pretty good from what i saw. Mentzel seemed to be punting the ball very well and GoRedGoBlue said "McMurtry is erratic but made most of them" which seems to be a contradictory statement. From what I saw he made most of his kicks. Hopefully the O can pick up the slack in the passing game and be better next Saturday.
ponyguts

Postby dandyfan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:27 pm

Foy Munlin is good. A work horse type runner. Big and strong.
Massey was horrible.
Cedric was noticably hurt from the start. Looked like an ankle.
dandyfan

Re: scrimmage

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:11 pm

ponyguts wrote:I think the scrimmage went well for both the o and d. The first half of the scrimmage was all 1s vs 1s and 2s vs 2s. The offense scored a few times including 3 or 4 touchdowns and a few field goals. Munlin dominated the D everytime he got the ball. Passing the ball did seem a little off at times but will hopefully get better as time passes. No big stand outs on the D. Just pretty solid all round play. It also looked as if Bennett was calling all the D which is a change from Gush making the calls last year. Kicking game looked pretty good from what i saw. Mentzel seemed to be punting the ball very well and GoRedGoBlue said "McMurtry is erratic but made most of them" which seems to be a contradictory statement. From what I saw he made most of his kicks. Hopefully the O can pick up the slack in the passing game and be better next Saturday.

Erratic: The ball went through the uprights, but sometimes low line drives, sometimes sideways spirals, sometimes no spin knuckleballs, etc. It wasn't pretty. Wolcott was blocked several times.

Mentzel punted very good it appears, Meeks has bad form, kicking low and his leg not rising very high. I don't think he is the next Danny White, but then again, he may not have practiced much since he has been working on his passing game.

To MEEKS credit, his THROWING motion was MUCH improved over last year and actually had some zip.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:21 pm

I thought these players stood out.

Offense:
Phillips and Eckert: I thought they looked pretty good. They missed on a lot of the deep balls but I thought the receivers were the problem. Eckert has a nice arm but Phillips has the whole package. We will be much better at QB this year.
Foy Munlin: He is going to be a very good RB for us this year. He was the best offensive player on the field.
Cedric Vinson: Although I’m still worried about the WRs, Vison was a pleasant surprise. He made two big catches, one for a long TD. Pellerin and Rushbrook didn’t play.

Defense:
Melvin Williams: He was getting to the QBs often.
Alvin Nnabuife: He was making plays when he was out there. Had a pick.
Justin Rogers: He has a nose for the ball and he will hit.
Cory Muse: Let me tell ya, this kid will be a player. A star in the making.
LA_Mustang

Postby gostangs » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:10 pm

General thoughts -

Both the offensive and defensive line looked significantly bigger

Defense on the ball quickly, and several times had an actual pass rush (the question is whether it just looks like that because we are playing our guys - but it didn't feel that way).

running game looked great when Munlin was in there, good when Moss ran and so so with Massey - maybe Massey had the number two line - not sure.

QB was O.K., but sometimes disappointing to me - Phillips still looked like our best bet was him running - might just be timing.

LB's MUCH faster - Muse will be fun to watch.

special teams looked they needed the most work - yes I know - thats shocking.

Clearly big improvement in size and HUGE improvement in team speed from last year. Too bad it will probably be a four games before we can tell based on our less then bright schedule.
gostangs

Re:

Postby SMUguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:15 am

Mike Damone wrote:.... Munlin looks to be starting, as do Lowery and Chase at recievers. Not going to try and spell his name, but the corner from Air Force was playing with the first string as well.

Ah yes, the transfers. I've been told that Foy Munlin is a monster in practice every day.

The Air Force guy you mention is Charles Akinyemi. I haven't been to practice yet, but I'm told he hits like a player twice his size. Sort of a middle linebacker shoved into a cornerback's body. He should be fun to watch.
SMUguy
Heisman

Re:

Postby SMUguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:20 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Cedric Vinson: Although I’m still worried about the WRs, Vison was a pleasant surprise. He made two big catches, one for a long TD. Pellerin and Rushbrook didn’t play.
I'm glad you mentioned Vinson. I remember being really impressed with him last spring, and when I talked him up to some friends, they said I was nuts. Here's hoping he makes me look bright (!) by getting into the rotation and showing something.

LA_Mustang wrote:Defense:
Melvin Williams: He was getting to the QBs often.
Alvin Nnabuife: He was making plays when he was out there. Had a pick.
Justin Rogers: He has a nose for the ball and he will hit.
Cory Muse: Let me tell ya, this kid will be a player. A star in the making.

Glad to hear Williams and Rogers are doing well, and I certainly like all the optimism about Muse. But to me, the key here is Nnabuife - he's the anchor for the back side of the defense.
Last edited by SMUguy on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:58 am

Did anyone get injured/banged up in Thursday's scrimmage?
SMUguy
Heisman

Next

Return to Football