PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Potential trasfer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Potential trasfer

Postby hpfan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:34 am

:lol: Coach Bennett may have another trick up his sleeve. He may be able to get another QB to come in. The candidate has run the current offense or similiar iteration over the past eight(8) years. His involvement could accelerate the offense by light years. Stay tuned and say a prayer !
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:45 am

I guess you're including high school and junior high. Because a junior transfer would only have two (three) years of college experience with an offense.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:49 am

My guess is Alexander Webb.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:52 am

Pile up the talent all you can, but I honestly think we have our man in Chris Phillips. He has monster upside. He is a different breed of athlete than most on the Hilltop since 1989, ie its obvious why Arkansas wanted him.
Hoop Fan

Postby ponydawg » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:51 pm

When would he be able to play? Is he a JUCO or is he going to have to sit out a year?!?!?
I can't wait for Football!
Pissed that I have to miss the game on the 17th.....have to go to a wedding out of town.....selfish bastards getting married on a pony game day.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hpfan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:47 pm

ponydawg still too early to say . many details to be worked out. if it happens however the potential would be huge to the offense and the program. Fingers crossed.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Dooby » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:My guess is Alexander Webb.

Hmmmmm. It was announce yesterday that he was leaving Northwestern, and he is from HP.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Webb would be fantastic

Postby tmustangp » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:03 pm

Ok i am a little biase because i have been friends w/ him since i was in the third grade but he was great at HP when they went to the spread offense(two years after i left) and he would have started at N'wstn had he not gotten seriously hurt as a freshman... i don't know how spring is goin for him but over xmas he said he was still 2nd string... he would do great things for smu and who knows possibly Stafford would see an HP qb doing great close to home and maybe he would accept the offer we have already given him..

No, (deleted) no man, i believe you get your [deleted] kicked for something like that man.
tmustangp
All-American

Postby abezontar » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:09 pm

Maybe I don't understand the rules, but if he was transferring from a Div I school, wouldn't he have to sit out for a year?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dooby » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:22 pm

Just kind of scanned around the Northwestern Message Boards. This seems to say he can sit out this year and play another THREE years.

I believe he'll still have 3 years of playing eligibility where ever he goes. He can use his red-shirt year next year to sit out and still play 4 years (since he was able to use a medical redshirt in 2002 he still has his other redshirt available) - for potentially a 6 and a half year plan (considering he started at NU in the spring of 2001 - a semester early).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Prof X » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:42 pm

Thats not correct. Unless transferring down a division, you sit out after enrolling at your new school. This same question came up about the defensive lineman who left Northwestern last year. He spent a year out of school and then was able to play right away, but only because he went to a 1-AA school.
And whoever made that quote about having another redshirt year to use was very mistaken. His redshirt is burned.
You are all sheep.
Prof X
Scout Team

Postby PonyPride » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:05 am

Actually, from what I've been able to find, Webb was not redshirted at Northwestern. He was granted a medical hardship, and therefore could, technically, gain a sixth year if he chose to redshirt a year at a new school and then play his entire remaining eligibility. I have no knowledge about his future plans, whether he plans to come to SMU or attend another school, and I don't know (given the seriousness of his injury at Northwestern) whether or not he will continue to play football, wherever he resumes his college career. But if he does choose to play football again, I gather he could still redshirt a year and then have three full seasons of eligibility.
PonyPride

Redshirts

Postby StangEsq » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:56 am

I was at SMU for all of Ramon Flanigan's (what seemed like) 23 years at SMU... you can get a medical redshirt on top of your ordinary redshirt. Not sure what the technical terms are, but by no means is anyone limited to 5 yrs.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:34 am

Read what Prof X said. If you stay you get to keep the medical redshirt, if you go, its burned. Thus you only get 5 years if you transfer.
EastStang

Postby SCHOOPS » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:00 am

You are correct EastStang and Professor X. You only get a sixth year if you have two medical redshirts. (Example Jason White) So you are limited to only five years unless you have two incapaciting injuries. The NCAA looks at transferring as something that a student-athlete can control. Injuries are something that can't be controled.
SCHOOPS
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football