PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Potential trasfer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Redshirts

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:59 am

StangEsq wrote:I was at SMU for all of Ramon Flanigan's (what seemed like) 23 years at SMU... you can get a medical redshirt on top of your ordinary redshirt. Not sure what the technical terms are, but by no means is anyone limited to 5 yrs.

Flanigan got two redshirts - both medical.

Well, let me correct, he hurt his thumb within the first two games of his fresh year, so he MAY have simply gotten a redshirt then (the less than 15% rule)

Then in his4th year, he was injured on the first play from scrimmage vs. Ark. After he completed his 5th year, he applied and was given the medical for one more year.

Sorry, this doesnt' really clarify anything.

ANYONE, was his first a medical redshirt?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:05 am

Yes, I believe it was some sort of major liver injury.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby football crazy » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:30 am

I DON'T THINK WE NEED ANOTHER QB, CERTAINLY NOT AN INJURED TRANSFER, LET'S USE OUR FEW AVAILABLE SPOTS ON LINEMAN, LOT'S OF THEM...
football crazy

Postby HFvictory » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:41 am

You can't get a redshirt if you play even one down no matter what. Medical redshirt would be the only option for someone who has an official appearance in a game.
HFvictory
All-American

Re:

Postby Dooby » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:12 pm

HFvictory wrote:You can't get a redshirt if you play even one down no matter what. Medical redshirt would be the only option for someone who has an official appearance in a game.

So did Massey get a medical redshirt?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:10 pm

Yes Massey did and that statement is completely inaccurate. Flanigan got one when he got hurt against arkansas on the first play. If you can't get a medical redshirt if you play one play, that would mean that you could only get one for injuries occuring outside of game situations. That makes no sense. I know of examples where players have played three games and had season ending injuries and still given the redshirt.

Now, you can't get a non-medical redshirt if you play one play. If Massey didn't get hurt(how convenient), he would've burned the redshirt.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby StangEsq » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:50 pm

i think he was saying taht you can't use a "regular" redshirt ifyou play one play.

i stand corrected - flanigan did have 2 medical redshirts.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby BUS » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:53 am

I am with Football Crazy. Bring in Linemen.

Let this other QB walk on. Chris Phillups is my pick for QB. Now lets protect his [deleted].
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:29 am

you foo's need to learn how to post links instead of speculating and jibba jabba-in

http://nusports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footb ... 04aaa.html
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:46 pm

His Northwestern bio:

Alexander Webb
Sophomore
Dallas, Texa (Highland Park)
6-0 / 195
QB
Birthdate: 05/12/1983

The 2003 Scouting Report: Redshirt freshman who is challenging Brett Basanez for the quarterback position … Outstanding athlete (4.5 40-time) with a solid arm … Rookie season was cut short by the injury to his liver in his first collegiate game … Tremendous work ethic … Continues to improve in his reads and decision-making … Enrolled at NU in the spring of 2002 (spring quarter) and participated in spring drills.

2003: Overcame career-threatening lacerated liver injury last season … Backup quarterback … Saw limited action in five games … Threw for a career-high 147 yards, including a 59-yard reception in NU’s loss to Miami (Ohio) … Completed 10-of-24 passes in that game … Orchestrated touchdown drive in closing minutes at Purdue, rushing for 19 yards on two carries … Also completed two passes on four attempts for 23 yards ... Named team's Scout Player of the Week for the Penn State game.

2002: Made collegiate debut against TCU, and turned in an impressive performance before suffering a season-ending injury ... Had his liver lacerated after being sandwiched by a pair of TCU defenders ... Completed 2-of-6 passes for 45 yards and interception, and ran 20 yards on four carries ... Received a medical hardship.

High School: An all-district first-team and all-area second-team dual-threat quarterback ... Named the district’s 4A Offensive Player of the Year ... Named Dallas Metroplex Player of the Year ... Player of the Year by Dallas People newspaper ... Totaled 2,968 passing yards, 700 rushing yards, 30 TD passes and 10 rushing TDs his senior season ... As a sophomore, earned honorable mention all-district kudos at running back ... Led teams to 10-0 records his sophomore and junior seasons, and 12-2 mark with a co-district championship his senior season ... PrepStar Athlete of the Year nominee ... Awarded school’s Fighting Scot Award (team’s highest honor) ... Team averaged more than 45 ppg his senior year ... Also lettered in track (sprinter) and baseball ... Member of all-state academic football team ... Associated Press Scholar-Athlete ... School’s Academic Excellence Award ... Selected to represent class in Academic Bowl all four years of high school ... Member of National Honor Society ... Coached by Randy Allen.

Personal: Born Alexander Ross Webb on 5/12/83 ... Son of Gary and Wanda Webb … Brother, Clark, is a defensive back at Princeton ... Chose NU over Virginia, Stanford, Vanderbilt and Southern Mississippi … Major is undeclared.

Webb's Career Statistics

Passing
Year GP ATT COM INT PCT YDS TD LNG RATING
2002 1 6 2 1 33.3 45 0 30 63.0
2003 5 33 16 1 48.5 205 0 59 94.6
TOTALS 6 39 18 2 46.2 250 0 59 89.7

Rushing
Year GP ATT YDS AVG TD LNG
2002 1 4 20 5.0 0 10
2003 5 12 17 1.4 0 14
TOTALS 6 16 37 2.3 0 14
PonyTales
Heisman

Webb's mind not made up

Postby tmustangp » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:47 am

I heard today from a friend of alexander that he is definately transferring from NU but he has yet to decide where he will go and so hopefully he will come here... unfortunately he is missing spring drills

"I didn't lie, i just made fiction w/ my mouth"
major league
tmustangp
All-American

Re: Webb's mind not made up

Postby MizterTea » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:31 am

tmustangp wrote:I heard today from a friend of alexander that he is definately transferring from NU but he has yet to decide where he will go and so hopefully he will come here... unfortunately he is missing spring drills

... "I heard...from a friend" ?!?!? do you suckas even read the posts before yours or do you just jump right to the end so you can start with the jibba jabba

there have been two NEWS articles on this already posted... not just "friend" silliness

http://nusports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footb ... 04aaa.html
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:45 pm

We have to remember this is speculation.
However, IF Webb decides to come to SMU, here's another reason it might be a benefit to SMU. Coach Bennett has said he wants to recruit locally, and has made no secret of his desire to collect HP players.
And .... I wonder if Webb is friends with Stafford, the stud HP quarterback who's going to be just a junior this year.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:07 am

I really wish SMU would emphasize the transfer of Division 1A prospects more especially with SMU restricted to such a small slice of the JUCO recruits and no partial or non-qualifiers. On the Totem Pole of academic integrity-doesn't the recruitment of fully qualified Division 1A transfers rate higher than JCs. nons and partials. And yet SMU has had less Division 1A transfers in both FB and BB than just about any similar school I'm familiar with(caveat Division 1A transfers rarely travel upstream in FB ie going to the NDs, UTs and OUs)-OSU almost won a NC in BB with these transfers.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:34 pm

think that private school tuition has something to do with it?
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football