PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JUCO's and the Knight Commission

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

JUCO's and the Knight Commission

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:31 pm

As I understand it, if the Knight Commission proposals pass, Junior players will need to be 40% complete toward graduation in order to play. This means that for many JUCO's, they will not be eligible since many lose transferable hours when they transfer to a four year school. Stallion this could mean real problems for opposing schools that live and die by the non-qualifier and JUCO transfer.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:02 pm

I've agreed with that perspective for about 2 years and stated this is a ever changing issue. Once again I have no problem and fully support SMU voting for higher academic standards for Division 1A but don't think SMU should be a matyr and follow rules that keep us at a competitive disadvantage. The other side of the coin though is that the NCAA in the future will no longer have a minimum SAT/GPA score which will open up a whole new front that will greatly change the competitive balance. Recruits who were once non-qualifiers might now be partial qualifiers and partial qualifiers might now been full qualifiers. I have no doubt that the same schools will simply modify their Model that meet the changing conditions.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football