PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for SportsLaw

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for SportsLaw

Postby SMUguy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:54 am

Hey SportsLaw: what's your take on the court case regarding the eligibility of younger players coming out for the NFL Draft? Maurice Clarett challenged the current rule in court to make himself eligible for this year's draft, and was joined by USC WR Mike Williams and six high school players. The NFL seems confident that they'll win the appeal, but they'd better hurry - the draft is a week from Saturday (and Sunday).

Here's some background I read in the Washington Post:

Those in Mike Williams's camp had believed he was being ignored by some teams in their draft preparations because they don't know if he'll remain eligible for the draft. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit likely will rule a few days before the draft on the NFL's appeal of the Feb. 5 decision by a federal judge that made college freshmen and sophomores and high school players eligible for the draft. Williams left USC after his sophomore season and was the lone prominent player to join former Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett in taking advantage of the judge's ruling in Clarett's lawsuit against the league by entering the draft early. NFL officials say they will bar Clarett and Williams from the draft if the league prevails in court.

----------

Do you think the NFL has a case, and will be able to get the court to overturn the Clarett ruling? If so, it would wreak havoc with the current draft (and all the mock drafts) that have Mike Williams going in the top 10 picks, and Clarett in probably the second or third round.

Thoughts?
Thanks
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PonyFan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:48 pm

I don't like it, but I don't think the NFL has a chance of winning its appeal. College basketball has suffered greatly since everyone who can hit a layup started declaring for the NBA, especially since all the European guys started coming over and showing how fundamentally unsound so many American players are. It's really hurt the college game, because anyone who's good leaves early. One thing that's great about college football is that you know there will be players like Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, etc., who will have big senior years because they've already had productive seasons. Hell, Jason White could have gone pro - Heisman in hand - and chose to come back for a sixth year at OU. Too bad there aren't more like him.

Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett will make millions in the NFL, but I sure hope Tagliabue figures out a way to prevent the floodgates from opening on early departures.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Big Easy Pony » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:17 am

I think you make some good points. But at the same time, the argument can be made that everyone has the right to make a living. Hard to choose sides on this one.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby Webmaster » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:57 pm

SMUguy et al,

We heard back from SportsLaw and posted his response here:
http://www.ponyfans.com/features/sportslaw03/

Also, there's a link to it now on the Home Page.

Will have photos from last week's scrimmage, and interview with Lucky Delay, and some other new articles coming shortly.

The PonyFans Team
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:36 pm

This is still the USA. The rights of the individual will prevail. If they can make it, they will be permitted to join. The NFL is just sorry to see the farm club go.
BTW- I like college basketball just as much as I did before and i don't think I'mj alone.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:02 pm

I think it only helps SMU if the pro caliber players go early - it is one more step towards parity between big time programs and the "hangin on by our teeth" programs.

Let the non-students get out as early as possible. It is only good for us - when we have some guys going early I will know we have made it back.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:41 am

I think the parallel PonyFan draws to the demise of college basketball is dead-on. Remember when you KNEW Georgetown would be good because Patrick Ewing was coming back for his senior season? Or that you KNEW Utah (for you younger PonyFans) would have a good year because Keith Van Horn was coming back?

The trend of stud recruits going to college only to bolt early for the NBA has killed college basketball, to a degree, and a similar trend in football would do the same. College football is too great -- somehow, this can not be allowed to happen. If Clarett and Williams go pro and that's it .... fine. If the floodgates open and this becomes rampant, then it's horrible for football, both college football and professional football.

Great job with the article, by the way -- keep it coming!
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Football