PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lineman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lineman

Postby player44 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:46 pm

Who are the projected starting O-Lineman? :twisted:
player44

Postby fade3 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:55 pm

I been told by several people that Bryan Turner is one of the strongest and fastest lineman on campus. I just read the article by Coach Faucette that he is one of the strongest lineman benching over 400lbs. As a true freshman he started 6 games last season. By looking at what he is doing now, it would be an injustice for him not to be on the field. I looked on the depth chart, and he is listed as a backup center. A kid this strong and fast should not be on the bench.
Last edited by fade3 on Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fade3

Postby player44 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:01 pm

He started six game last season and is a backup in spring ball what's the deal. Should he had been red shirted last year? Will he lose another year being on the bench?
player44

Postby fade3 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:09 pm

How is the big lineman Burley doing?
fade3

Postby player44 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:30 pm

I believe that group of linemen that was recruited in 2003 is going to make a difference in 2004 season. That group of linemen came from winning programs.
player44

Postby PonyFan » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:33 pm

Turner started some games because (A) he had the most polished technique of the freshman linemen, and (B) because the others - Peveto, Burley and Boren - are so much bigger, it was believed that they had bigger potential in the long term, and might benefit more from sitting out a year. And a player told me that during the season last year, Turner was really between 260 and 270, not the 292 he was listed at. However, I also hear he's worked very hard and has added some of that missing weight, so maybe he'll be better equipped to face college DLs this year.

Burley is interesting. He's by far the most raw of the class of OLs, but he might have the most potential. Ever get a good look at the guy? His shins bend in, like he's bowlegged. Some within the program say he'd be pushing 6'9" if his legs straightened out. He's over 300 pounds, and like Darrin Johnson, looks like he needs to fill out, if you can believe that. He has the chance - through extensive weightroom work and practice - to be perhaps the most dominant lineman we have. But he also has the longest way to go to get to that level.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby fade3 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:26 am

So you are telling me that because those guys were bigger they needed to sit to get better. I don't understand that, I have played the game and I am know coaching the game. Beside practice, I know that the only other way for your players to get better is to play them. Turner played because he was better than those guys. You don't sit kid on the bench to make them better. I am not sure I am understanding you but that is what you stated in your post. Bryan Turner is a hell of a player and that is why he got to play this past season. I am not sure about his weight, but if he keeps it up, I beleive that he will be one of the best lineman on the team. I know for a fact his is one of the strongest and the fastest. Read the article Coach Faucette wrote.
fade3

Postby Big Easy Pony » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:15 am

Interesting take, fade3. I didn't read PonyFan's response the way you did at all. I took it to mean that the others are believed to have a bigger "upside," but I didn't get the sense that PonyFan was claiming Turner didn't deserve to play - just that the others were bigger, and that by sitting out a year, they had a year to learn, after which they could develop even more.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:19 pm

The decision to play Turner last season was a bit more complicated. This is what I know second hand. First and probably most significantly, Turner was tabbed to play early due to injuries at guard last year. As you may recall, there was some shuffling at center/guard with Eidson, Turner and Reindl as Hargis was injured. Turner is a center/guard by trade, whereas Peveto and Boren are guard/tackles and Burley is a straight tackle. Second, as PonyTales alluded to, Turner was well coached in high school and has good technique and footwork, so I believe the coaches felt he wouldn't get burned too bad.

I think on some level though, the coaches think of Boren, Peveto and Burley the way the view Darrin Johnson - they all have star potential if they develop as planned, so the coaches want to keep them together as a unit for a full 5 years if at all possible (with O lineman probably more than any position, it's almost always desirable to redshirt them for a year to get bigger and stronger).

Bryan Turner is listed at 6'2, but if he's taller than 5'10, I'll eat a tackling dummy. Granted he's strong, but he's not a prototype college lineman (short body, short arms). Peveto is the fastest of the bunch, but needed to add some strength before taking on D1A defenses. Burley has the frame to develop into a terrifying force, but he needs upper body development. So they weren't ready last year.

Bryan Turner is a wonderful young man and a tenacious, scrappy lineman – one of those guys you can count on to "hold the fort", but he's never going to dominate the line of scrimmage. Just by virtue of their frames, Boren, Burley, Peveto, Johnson, Urbanus and maybe Ben Poynter will end up being the 'headliners' in the years to come.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby football crazy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:01 pm

GREAT INFO ON LINEMAN THANKS, KEEP IT COMING. I WILL SAY IT AGAIN , OUR NUMBER ONE GOAL FOR NEXT YEAR'S RECRUITING SHOULD BE LINEMAN, WE NEED AT LEAST 8-10 LINEMAN, IF I REMEMBER WE ALREADY HAVE 1 COMITTMENT( OL) LET'S GO GET SOME MORE........
football crazy

Postby fade3 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:09 pm

I agree with some to the things that you are saying. But to say Turner can not be a impact on the O-Line because of his size is not true. If you play him at Center or Gaurd, he can be a pro-style lineman. Number one he is one of the strongest and fastest lineman. The huge lineman usually play the tackle position. Looking at most roster in the NFL, most of the center are smaller and quicker than the gaurds and tackles. To me Turner fits the bill perfect, and I have stood beside him and the other lineman and he is over 6'0 tall. I believe with him in the middle and the other guys on either side of him, that would be a great line. He is a very smart football player who can pick up and read the defense well. I watch him play at Lee and what he showed there, I feel he has just as much upswing as the rest of the bigger lineman as you say. They should all have an equal chance to play, but it should be based on how they play and not their size.
fade3

Re:

Postby Ikus » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:05 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:.... but if he's taller than 5'10, I'll eat a tackling dummy....

OK, but if you do, will you give a review along the lines of the Burger Wars thread? I've always been curious about the best way to roast a tackling dummy.

I'm like you - I like the promise shown by all of the young linemen: Boren, Turner, Peveto, Burley .... and I'm glad you mentioned Ben Poynter. If the starters aren't careful, he's going to push for someone's job before too long.
Ikus
Heisman

Re:

Postby Mustangunner » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:49 pm

{Turner} one of the best lineman on the team. I know for a fact his is one of the strongest and the fastest. Read the article Coach Faucette wrote.
[/quote]

So By reading the article coach Faucet had, people are supposed to assume that since Turner can bench press 400 lbs. That the weight is magically transformed into his legs and he is the fastest? Obviously I must know nothing about the weight room if speed is caused by the amount you can bench. :oops: And for everyone on the boards information Peveto is the fastest lineman then Darrin Johnson, Ben Poynter and Brad Kishnick are also in the top of the mix. He may however be the fastest short lineman.
Mustangunner
Varsity

Postby Otto » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:37 pm

I heard Ben Poynter is the fastest OL, and the guy who told me got it straight from a starting OL. Supposedly his footwork is truly exceptional.
Otto
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:26 am

fade3,

Please don't misquote me. What I said is that Turner is not going to be a "dominant OL", and what I meant is precisely that... He will probably not develop into one of CUSA's top, dominating linemen (e.g. he's not a guy you'd expect to, shut down opposing DTs, rack up a lot of knockdowns and pancakes). Given that Kieschnick and Eidson both have another year, that Boren should lock down one guard spot either this year or when Hargis graduates, that Peveto will lock down the other guard spot OR he can switch to center, that you're going to have a hard time rationalizing keeping Ben Poynter off the field (with Urbanus and Johnson locking down the tackle spots), and the influx of promising young linemen that Bennett is recruiting – will Turner be a starter for SMU this year or even his Jr. and Sr. years (barring injuries)? So before you get too wrapped up in the "injustice" of keeping Bryan Turner off the field, remember that Brad Kieschnick is within 5 or 10 lbs. of Turner's bench press, is a two year letterman with significantly more experience, and is conservatively 5-6" taller than Turner. And no, Turner is NOT 6'1. 6'1 must be the default height for SMU OLs who are well under 72" tall (please refer to your Gameday Roster under the heading: Grant Eidson).

But that's not to say that Turner isn't a great addition. Turner has already had an impact because 1) he's seen playing time, 2) his strength and skill level are both improvements over our typical OL recruit in years past, and 3) injuries on the OL are going to happen. With Turner's skill and technique, he's a guy you can plug in at center or either guard spot and still be effective.

Lastly, as I've mentioned on several occasions, Peveto is still our fastest lineman. No, I've never put a stopwatch on them, but Peveto seems to win the majority of sprints among the OLs in EVERY practice. So if he's not the fastest overall, he's certainly the best combination of speed and conditioning among OLs.
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football