PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Article -UNT putting heat on SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Eddie P » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:35 pm

And always remember that this is not your grandfather's UNT anymore!!
Eddie P
Heisman

UNT

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:48 pm

Dear UNT Fans:

You have had a nice run the past three years, a run that SMU would be happy to have. However, don't fool yourselft into thinking that you could have had even that SAME run in the WAC, it just wouldn't have happened.

As bad as SMU has been, and as good as UNT has played at times, and against some good teams even, they would have finished no better than 4-5th in the WAC on their best year.

3 Bowl appearances? Well, that's like TCU talking about their 6 bowl appearances, mostly in the Mobile High School Stadium out of aluminum foil bowl...it's really not much to be proud of except that if you go 9-3 it's better to play somewhere than be stuck at home like Northern Illinois was last year.

Get this straight, UNT would have beaten SMU the last 2-3 years, but, SMU doesn't wanna play you because of some good points that the article spoke about, and because we all think we are better than you. Period.

Now, whether we are or not can be debated, but ...
we think we are, so we don't want to play you.

So there. Now go tell the principle that we are stuck up, or go tell your mommy that you deserve a candy treat too because you've been a good school...but please quit whining about it.

WE DON'T WANT TO PLAY YOU, it's that simple.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:30 pm

Its not my grandfather's NTSTC (I think that's what it was called then). But then again, it doesn't mean its better.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UNT

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:44 pm

GoRedGoBlue wrote:Dear UNT Fans:

You have had a nice run the past three years, a run that SMU would be happy to have. However, don't fool yourselft into thinking that you could have had even that SAME run in the WAC, it just wouldn't have happened.

As bad as SMU has been, and as good as UNT has played at times, and against some good teams even, they would have finished no better than 4-5th in the WAC on their best year.

3 Bowl appearances? Well, that's like TCU talking about their 6 bowl appearances, mostly in the Mobile High School Stadium out of aluminum foil bowl...it's really not much to be proud of except that if you go 9-3 it's better to play somewhere than be stuck at home like Northern Illinois was last year.

Get this straight, UNT would have beaten SMU the last 2-3 years, but, SMU doesn't wanna play you because of some good points that the article spoke about, and because we all think we are better than you. Period.

Now, whether we are or not can be debated, but ...
we think we are, so we don't want to play you.

So there. Now go tell the principle that we are stuck up, or go tell your mommy that you deserve a candy treat too because you've been a good school...but please quit whining about it.

WE DON'T WANT TO PLAY YOU, it's that simple.

So you think when UNT beat CUSA's football co-champion in the 2'nd annual NEW ORLEANS BOWL that CUSA sucked so bad then that UNT would have finished 4'th in the WAC? You don't seem like you are too excited about joining CUSA with an attitude like that.

It is evident to many in the Metroplex that SMU'ers would have jumped over the Alamo walls on the first night of the seige!

Yall don't want to play us because your coaching staff and players saw what the Mean Green did to Baylor just last Fall that yall couldn't do to the Bears.

SMU uses the same tired, age-old and trite smoke-screen excuses that no one in DFW buys anymore as to why yall don't want to play us. Quite frankly, most of us are not all that excited about yall pulling our schedule's power rating down and would have only been interested in playing yall in a league setting; otherwise, have fun with your new playmates. We have plans in the future that would hardly involve a school like SMU as it is. Apparently, so does TCU.

The only times SMU pounced on UNT in the modern era of NCAA football was with paid football players and why the NCAA did not make yall forfeit all those God himself only knows. Maybe Governor Bill pulled some last minute strings for yall on that matter as he was making his own last installment payment to another 'Stang semi-pro player.

SMU is yesterday's news and yall know it and cannot face up to what is going on in Mean Green Country. Check this photo out for a clue on www.GoMeanGreen.com. That is Phase I, ie, an End Zone facility to what will be our new football stadium.

We wanted in CUSA more because UH was in it than you. You all have been given 100 X's more attention on this re-alignment business than you'll get this Fall in the WAC and your first 10 seasons in CUSA.

BTW, who will the CUSA send to New Orleans this December to play the MEAN GREEN? Whoever it is will be facing Darrell Dickey's best team since has has been in Denton and a better team than the one who beat CUSA's co-champion 2 years ago. :)
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby 93Mustang » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:35 pm

That's all great news for you guys. However, I think UNT fans are selling themselves short. With all of your bowl games, planned stadiums, huge alumni support, etc., why settle for C-USA? Why not try to unseat Baylor in the Big 12? A top notch university like yours should go straight to the BCS. Stop settling and aim higher. There's no holding you back and a small private school like SMU can and will do nothing to stop you. Knock yourself out.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby king_k » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:37 pm

AMEN!!!
king_k
Recruit

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:44 pm

EastStang wrote:Its not my grandfather's NTSTC (I think that's what it was called then). But then again, it doesn't mean its better.

Yet, EastStang, too many of you (at least too many of you on this smack board) are time warped in your own grandfather's era when UNT was (in deed) North Texas State Teacher's College. That has been over 50 years ago and SMU more than any school knows how things can change in 50 years.

Ask Judge Lee Jackson about UNT. He is the Chancellor of the UNT System, an SMU grad and he won't pull any punches or get into a "smack board" mode like most of us do when we start ballyhooing our respective schools on such forums.

MY TAKE ON THESE COLLEGE SMACK BOARDS? It's merely like a bunch of alums from various schools gatherered together at some watering hole or bar blowin' and goin' about their school.

There is a part of me that wants to see SMU turn it around, but there is another part of me that wants to kick yall in the arse because of your unrealistic views toward UNT and public support of lesser schools in much lesser population and media centers that even you, EastStang, know in your heart of hearts your constituency will never travel to. We find it amazing that SMU casts such a vote for such a non Texas school. Some even think it a most "un-Texan" thing to do. SMU apparently does not.

I know TCU just gave your school a wet Willie, too, but is there anyone out there with enough gonads and character to break this cycle among Texas non BCS colleges and universities?

A show of support (and Lord forbid) even a sponsorship from your president would have gotten UNT into CUSA and you know that. Turner and the Big Donor's who influence him are not hurting us if that was their intention. What we have now going in Denton is unstoppable by anyone who would try. What a waste of time to spend any energy trying to keep another school down and denying such. His public support for La Tech is as much a smoking gun on this whole matter as anything.

The Texas caste system of college athletics (especially the non BCS portion) one day has to become a thing of the past; especially when a fellow Texas school touts one in another state with no TV market to speak of and in a town SMU'ers by the thousands will never travel to. Your alums haven't even made the trip to Ruston as a WAC member, at least, according to La Tech posters who made a few comments on that subject as well.

UNT will not get into CUSA this time around and our group knew it when Turner made his wishes known in the DMN almost a month ago now. We knew at that time that his politickin' had already begun and we pretty well knew the (private school) constituency he began his lobbying efforts with. But things change and who knows what CUSA will look like in 5 years. In 5 years, SMU may not even want to be in this non BCS league the same way yall no longer want to be in the WAC.

For all of us, though, such is life in the non BCS! 8)
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Private School Boys

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:14 pm

Again, we don't care, we are better than you.

Can't we just leave it at that, we are snobs, and you are white trash?
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:28 pm

And one more thing - not sure how TCU gave US a wet willie, when they banished themselves from civilization into college football Siberia, and oh yeah, cost themselves dearly in doing so. Maybe in UNT land that is rejection - around here we call that opportunity - to add something better, not worse.
gostangs

Re: Private School Boys

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:06 am

GoRedGoBlue wrote:Again, we don't care, we are better than you.

Can't we just leave it at that, we are snobs, and you are white trash?

Ya' think?

Well, I am one of the most successful pieces of white trash in Parker County history, then. Glad you have accepted your snobbery, too! This thread is finally making some headway!
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:40 am

Do you own a Whataburger? I want to own a Whataburger someday. Any pointers on how to get into that business?

Also, did you realize that everyone in Texas pronounces Whataburger "Waterburger" instead of "What a Burger?" Notice the commercials have been emphasizing the correct pronunciation.
Eddie P
Heisman

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:23 am

Eddie P wrote:Do you own a Whataburger? I want to own a Whataburger someday. Any pointers on how to get into that business?

Also, did you realize that everyone in Texas pronounces Whataburger "Waterburger" instead of "What a Burger?" Notice the commercials have been emphasizing the correct pronunciation.

No, but I do know a UNT grad who owns "all" the Burger Kings in Tarrant County. What some (not all) of you SMU'ers need to realize is that all those years we were (in deed) a teacher's college (over a half century ago now), ie, North Texas State Teacher's College also had a School of Business in full operation. Even you might be impressed with a list of our own successful entrepreneurs who are alums of that department. In fact, it might even surprise you.

BUT....thanks for the pronunciation correction. My mother was a newspaper columnist in the Houston area and if I misspelled or mispronounced anything as a kid, I got to hear about it more than I really ever wanted.

Now, lets get back to some real smack talk, we're getting off the subject at hand! "DOWN WITH THAT TYRANT & OPPRESSOR TURNER!" (is that enough to get all this jump-started, again)?:)
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Re:

Postby jtstang » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:30 am

MeanGreenGem wrote:UNT will not get into CUSA this time around and our group knew it when Turner made his wishes known in the DMN almost a month ago now. We knew at that time that his politickin' had already begun and we pretty well knew the (private school) constituency he began his lobbying efforts with.

Is this for real? Was Turner the swing vote? Why can't UNT get invited on its own merits? Why does UNT need Turner tooting its horn?

I'd like to see SMU and UNT play regularly--conference, non-conference, whatever--but this guy's paranoia about Turner's undermining is laughable. Bow to the almighty CUSA private school syndicate.
jtstang

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:52 am

jtstang wrote:
MeanGreenGem wrote:UNT will not get into CUSA this time around and our group knew it when Turner made his wishes known in the DMN almost a month ago now. We knew at that time that his politickin' had already begun and we pretty well knew the (private school) constituency he began his lobbying efforts with.

Is this for real? Was Turner the swing vote? Why can't UNT get invited on its own merits? Why does UNT need Turner tooting its horn?

I'd like to see SMU and UNT play regularly--conference, non-conference, whatever--but this guy's paranoia about Turner's undermining is laughable. Bow to the almighty CUSA private school syndicate.

Would it come to any surprise to you that I am not alone with this on Turner? What is La Tech's own merit with all this CUSA business other than your prez' and their prez' are old buddies?

So anyone surprised why Turner tooted La Tech's horn in the freakin' Dallas Morning News for 'chrissakes. Are we back to the Texas good ol' boy network again with a touch of cajun spice?

Step down of your high pony, Jtstang, put yourselves in our shoes and tell me how you would feel about the aforementioned scenario? Merit does not get schools into some non BCS leagues or others would hardly be going to CUSA today using recent merit (or successes) as a barometer.

I'm sure you would know as well as anyone how politics works among those in the NCAA, especially in the Southwest where the collegiate caste system of the dark ages still reigns. This a system that reigns at the expense of Texas college football fans who merely want to watch amateur athletics.

That group of casual fans we all need to fill our stadiums are not concerned about which Texas college gets the inside edge because of some ridiculous perception of what creates inside edges. This group of college football fans don't give a rat's arse about all this other off the field lagniape, either. Seems to me like all our Texas non BCS schools need to do new, creative and different things from what we've been doing to gain new (casual) fans and (who knows) it might just be that leaving tired politics behind from generation's of old might be a good start in that very direction.

I can fully understand if UTEP gets the nod with all this, but for the life of me, have you visited both Ruston and Denton in the last 10 years? Has Gerald Turner or would it have even mattered?
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:58 am

MeanGreen, why do you ignore the question I have asked you when it is the essence of the situation?

For the third time, how did UNTs resume compare to La Techs at the time they were invited to be partners with the EWAC? Take 1996-2000. There is the answer. Turner is actually loyal to his current partners, a strange and evil concept I know. Start being honest with yourself. If we start winning and beating TCU next year, does that mean I should expect their new MWC partners to throw them off the bus for SMU? No. For the same reason, Tulsa, Rice and SMU are not going to shun La Tech for no reason. Quit being naive or obtuse, whichever it really is.
Hoop Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football