PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Article -UNT putting heat on SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonySoprano » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:02 pm

How many times does this have to be explained to this Eagle guy?? Scott Cowan, the current Tulane Boss, is the Capo di tutti Capi amongst the non-BCS families. Cowan vouched for SMU which was key in us getting made and getting our button in the CUSA family. Cowan also has a lean to La Tech, to provide his school an in-state conference mate, so President Turner, as a show of gratitude, feels he should get down and kiss Cowan's pinkie ring and show support for La Tech. You might call it politics, but its how busniess gets done in Cosa Nostra. And Turner, since he is still a cugine in the new CUSA family, needs to show respect and not upset the apple cart. I'm sure Turner wants to make Capo one day, and you don't become a Captain by disrespecting the Boss.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:03 pm

MeanGreenGem wrote:Would it come to any surprise to you that I am not alone with this on Turner? What is La Tech's own merit with all this CUSA business other than your prez' and their prez' are old buddies?

So anyone surprised why Turner tooted La Tech's horn in the freakin' Dallas Morning News for 'chrissakes. Are we back to the Texas good ol' boy network again with a touch of cajun spice?

Step down of your high pony, Jtstang, put yourselves in our shoes and tell me how you would feel about the aforementioned scenario? Merit does not get schools into some non BCS leagues or others would hardly be going to CUSA today using recent merit (or successes) as a barometer.

In the unlikely event you simply can't remember what it was you think you read in the DMN, here is a quote:

"Last month, SMU president Gerald Turner said his preference would be to add Louisiana Tech.

Turner said SMU's relationship with Louisiana Tech in the WAC and the support of other schools in C-USA are why he backs the Ruston, La., school.

'Tulane has been one of our major sponsors in Conference USA,' Turner said. 'Tulane feels good about having another Louisiana school that allows somebody close by for them.'

Turner said he has no problem with North Texas joining C-USA."

These are all the statements attributed to Turner in the DMN I could find. There is no slight towards UNT, just a reasoned statement of his preference. I specifically commend to your review the last sentence quoted and implore you to lose the paranoid delusions currently plaguing you.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:10 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:MeanGreen, why do you ignore the question I have asked you when it is the essence of the situation?

For the third time, how did UNTs resume compare to La Techs at the time they were invited to be partners with the EWAC? Take 1996-2000. There is the answer. Turner is actually loyal to his current partners, a strange and evil concept I know. Start being honest with yourself. If we start winning and beating TCU next year, does that mean I should expect their new MWC partners to throw them off the bus for SMU? No. For the same reason, Tulsa, Rice and SMU are not going to shun La Tech for no reason. Quit being naive or obtuse, whichever it really is.

Yall ask the question/I answer BUT for the 3'rd time? How did I ever miss the first and second time?

I know, over-used, but......YOU WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (But here it is anyway):

Commissioner Karl Benson of the WAC had (in deed) visited the UNT campus with great interest and was most impressed with our whole package, demographics, potential for further growth, the SUPER PIT and other ammenities; in other words, he liked what he saw...

FAST FORWARD>>>>>>then SMU was rejected by CUSA and with your Mustang athletic program finding themselves (surprisingly) still a WAC'ker, Commissioner Benson's interest in UNT went 180 degrees and suddenly, strangely and subtley shifted to a school 6 hours away from Dallas/Denton/Fort Worth, Texas, to a relatively small market/small public college in Ruston, LA.

Your first official date with your new suitor was imminent. La Tech'sters were gushing all over the place with this development not really knowing why ex SWC'er SMU had suddenly (and unexpectedly) found them attractive, especially a small market/small enrollment school and they being a public school to boot! What some La Techster's may not have known was how they were really being used. That they were going to be a filler school to fill a self-serving need for SMU--not the WAC's, mind you, but SMU's purpose. Are you detecting a bit of a trend here, though?

La Tech's main strength with SMU has always been that they are not located 40 minutes away from Mockingbird Lane, University Park, Texas, and honestly (since we are all being honest to ourselves here, right?); anyway, even "honest" SMU'ers would admit to that as your main pull and attraction to La Tech with all this CUSA business. Why else would SMU take a liking to basically a relatively unknown university located in the backwaters of NW Louisiana? Just what is wrong with this picture, Hoop Fan? Now be honest since we are all being honest with ourselves on all this.:)

You need to ask my U of NC Tarheel collegue at work what his opinion on all this is with your president's most obvious avoidance of a fellow Texas school that has a whole bunch more momentum going compared to his employer's schoo. And then my Tarheel associate asked me "what is this so 'un-SMU'ish' relationship between SMU and and La Tech all about?" Sadly for SMU, I'd bet others are asking the same question. In other words, Hoop Fan, not many people in the 5.2 million Metroplex are falling for Turner's spin on all this except a hardy handful of SMU'ers most of whom probably on this message board.

BUT HERE WE HAVE SMU AND LA TECH: LONGHORNS AND AGGIES EVERYWHERE ARE PROBABLY SHAKING THEIR HEADS ON THAT ONE.

Hellsbells, Hoop Fan, SMU didn't even know there was a La Tech until you suddenly found yourselves thrust into a league with them a few short years ago.

And how that public school/private school marriage of convenience has grown since SMU doesn't normally associate with public universities located in its home state of Texas. Still a shame how so few of your alums have made the trip to go see their newfound public university friends located "conveniently" 6 hours away from the SMU campus in Louisiana. :)

And according to some La Tech posters, very few SMU'ers still don't know there is a La Tech because of the few who traveled to the Bulldog's WAC debut in Shrevesport their 1'st year in that league and a smaller group of Pony fans who made the trip to Ruston last year, ie, that info from La Tech posters who were more than disappointed with your showing at their home stadium.

Obtuse? Shawshank Redemption fan, eh?:)
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Pony Soprano

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:23 pm

The best name I have seen in a long time. Wish I had thought of it. I have the look thing down so the name would have been complementary. Capish
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:36 pm

Ok, for the 4th time now, how do the records of La Tech and UNT compare for the relevant period of 1996-2000? Look, I dont doubt that SMU is looking out for its own interests, like any school does: UNT, TCU, UT, even the great UNC Tarholes who blocked Miami joining the ACC...everybody does it. IF youre such great guys, why don't you invite UT-Arlington to the Sun Belt, they had a good hoops season and surely deserve better than the Southland. But I digress. The main point is that there was a very credible and valid reason the WAC picked La Tech a few years ago. They had the skins on the wall. UNT didn't. You're Sun Belt success came later, after La Tech left I might add. And surely you know that Karl Benson says that he likes all the girls. Because he visited UNT and said he liked it, you think that meant something? Get real. Finally, if you realize that TCU and everybody else looks out for self interest, why would you expect a-holes like us at SMU who have been what amounts to the evil empire forever, to hear you tell it, to do anything different that the norm? Makes no sense. Fine, we're bastards, but what you cant refute is that LA Tech was better program than UNT when we joined up with them. Thats REALITY and that trumps all other speculation and conspiracy theories that you and Oly Stone might come up with.
Hoop Fan

MeanGreenIdiot

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Commissioner Karl Benson of the WAC had (in deed) visited the UNT campus with great interest and was most impressed with our whole package, demographics, potential for further growth, the SUPER PIT and other ammenities; in other words, he liked what he saw...

FAST FORWARD>>>>>>then SMU was rejected by CUSA and with your Mustang athletic program finding themselves (surprisingly) still a WAC'ker, Commissioner Benson's interest in UNT went 180 degrees and suddenly, strangely and subtley shifted to a school 6 hours away from Dallas/Denton/Fort Worth, Texas, to a relatively small market/small public college in Ruston, LA.

OK, LET"S ANALYZE THIS. KARL WAS INTERESTED WITH UNT AS A REPLACEMENT FOR SMU/TCU BECAUSE IT WAS WIDELY BELIEVED THAT BOTH SCHOOLS WERE GOING TO CUSA AND KARL WANTED A PRESENCE IN THE DFW ARE....FAST FORWARD, SMU DIDN'T GO AND THERE WENT THE NEED TO ADD UNT IN THE DFW AREA.

HISTORY LESSON: LATECH HAD A HISTORY FROM 95 - 01 OF PLAYING THE BIG BOYS (LIKE NEBRASKA / FLORIDA / ALABAMA) COMPETITIVELY, AND WINNING SOME OF THE TIME.

IT WAS not BECAUSE TURNER HAD IT IN FOR UNT.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:50 pm

Never have more keystrokes been wasted on nothing.
gostangs

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:18 pm

*yawn* Did I miss something?
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:51 pm

tony saprano. I loved the post. best one on this long string and cut right to the chase.
bubba pony
Heisman

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:17 pm

gostangs wrote:Never have more keystrokes been wasted on nothing.

And with such a short message from you, too. :twisted:

Come on, 'Stangs, yall are taking all this much too serious now! :roll:

I am impressed with the number of views on the thread, though. Multiply that kind of (obvious) "non-interest" and a UNT/SMU football game draws better than any school you have in your league, that is the most recent league for yall--ANY school, including, uh, UTEP! :shock:
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:17 pm

I am impressed with the number of views on the thread, though. Multiply that kind of (obvious) "non-interest" and a UNT/SMU football game draws better than any school you have in your league, that is the most recent league for yall--ANY school, including, uh, UTEP! :shock:
MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Re:

Postby MeanGreenGem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:18 pm

MeanGreenGem
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:01 pm

because once just is not enough
gostangs

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:56 pm

MGG....For the love of GOD, will you please get a LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALEX LIFESON

Re:

Postby BenW » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:48 pm

PonySoprano wrote:How many times does this have to be explained to this Eagle guy?? Scott Cowan, the current Tulane Boss, is the Capo di tutti Capi amongst the non-BCS families. Cowan vouched for SMU which was key in us getting made and getting our button in the CUSA family. Cowan also has a lean to La Tech, to provide his school an in-state conference mate,

That's the part that makes no sense- tulane hasn't played tech but once in 60 years- now, suddenly, they need a rivalry with tech and can't get one unless tech joins? Doesn't pass the smell test

IF cowen wants tech it's for political reasons.
BenW
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Football