PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any news about expansion from the C-USA meeting this week?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Any news about expansion from the C-USA meeting this week?

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:51 pm

Here's hoping there have been some news leaks about expansion from the C-USA meetings this week. What's the word, thunderbird?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:24 pm

News from Tulsa Point of View. Not much new:

C-USA maps out its future
By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer
4/13/2004

View in Print (PDF) Format

Current and future Conference USA athletic directors began meetings Monday in Dallas to settle league membership issues.

C-USA is seeking a replacement for Texas Christian University, which is leaving the league to join the Mountain West Conference. Louisiana Tech, UTEP, North Texas, Temple and Miami of Ohio, have been speculated as potential replacements.

Future C-USA members, including Tulsa, will get a voice in approving a membership change. Athletic directors will make a recommendation, and final approval will come from the university presidents.

TU athletic director Judy MacLeod, citing confidentiality issues, said she would not be able to comment on discussions that take place in Dallas.

Louisiana Tech athletic director Jim Oakes is on record as saying his school is a better geographic fit for C-USA than the Western Athletic Conference. Tech was originally believed to be the front-runner

to replace TCU.

UTEP athletic director Bob Stull said Monday that he has been in contact with C-USA consultant Chuck Neinas, but has not been in contact with league commissioner Britton Banowsky.

Stull said he was pleased with the WAC and his school's participation in the WAC during the last year. Stull said the Miners would examine "with due diligence" any other conference opportunities that might arise.

If UTEP or Louisiana Tech were to be selected for future C-USA membership, the domino effect would impact the WAC and other leagues.

"We're prepared to respond fairly quickly once Conference USA has made its decision," WAC commissioner Karl Benson said. "We are aware of all the possible options that are before Conference USA and we have, I think, established all of our counter-options."

Tulsa, Southern Methodist University and Rice announced last fall that they are leaving the WAC to join C-USA, effective in July 2005. The WAC responded by adding Utah State and New Mexico State.

Marshall and Central Florida also are leaving their conferences to join C-USA, which will receive a near-total makeover in 2005. Five schools are leaving C-USA to join the Big East and two non-football members -- St. Louis and Charlotte -- are headed to the Atlantic 10.

C-USA membership seemed to be set at 12 with two six-team divisions before TCU announced a pending departure. The exit punctured the hope of forming a six-team western division of primarily private schools -- TCU, SMU, TU, Rice, Tulane and Houston, a public institution.

Louisiana Tech or UTEP could be added to plug the divisional gap, or a school like Southern Mississippi could move to the Western Division if Temple, Toledo or Miami, Ohio, come aboard as a new member.

There is also the possibility that C-USA could stand pat at 11. The Orlando Sentinel reported that C-USA members were sent a packet detailing revenue-sharing projections for an 11-team league, a 12-team league and a 14-team league. A source told the Tulsa World that expansion to 14 will not occur.

SMU president Gerald Turner maintains a preference for Louisiana Tech, according to the Dallas Morning News, and it is believed that Rice also is a Tech supporter.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Maybe the WAC has an opinion about La TEch

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:07 am

This is far out speculation, but maybe the WAC would prefer to contract their geographcial spread and allow La Tech to transfer to the C-USA. Lousiana is a long way from El Paso and New Mexico. On the other hand, if the WAC wants exposure int he metroplex, the adding UNT makes sense. When the dominos began to fall again, the WAC is going to want an even number of teams in their league, and so should the C-USA. I think La Tech for the C-USA is a done deal. :roll:
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:29 am

Map is copied from CUSAbbs where it was posted on 04/14 by LATechMan.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby OldPony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:48 am

CUSA will almost surely go for LaTech. It makes more sense geopgraphically, from a recruiting standpoint and, I'm sure, that they don't want a "Texas" conference or division. I think we got lucky to get in this conference and it should bode well for the rebuilding.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:05 am

OP, I agree it should be better for SMU, but we were not "lucky" to get in. Britton Banowsky has long wanted SMU in C-USA, and thought he had us in in '99 when the Malin problems popped up. Banowsky lives in Highland Park, knows Gerald Turner very well, and wants to move the C-USA offices to Dallas.
Diehard Pony
All-American

The Banowsky-Tunrer connection

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:27 am

The Banowsky and Turner connection makes the Turner comments about adding La Tech to C-USA even more significant. Where is the conferecne HQ located now? With Rice and Houston in the conference, Houston would make a good location for the commissioner, but I hope it gets moved to Dallas.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:52 am

From Orlando Sentinel:

After two days of meetings in Texas, Conference USA athletic directors adjourned Tuesday with no official recommendation on expansion, but that should change soon.

Although the group had hoped to have its membership puzzle solved by today, pieces will fit in time for an April 30 discussion by league presidents, UCF AD Steve Orsini said.

"That's our job. We'll come up with one," Orsini said.

C-USA presidents have the final vote on expansion. Athletic directors will have one or more conference calls over the next two weeks to iron out expansion wrinkles.

UTEP is the favored candidate among a list that includes Louisiana Tech and North Texas but no longer includes Temple, Toledo and Miami of Ohio. Temple's interest in C-USA is for football only, and the league is pondering only all-sports members. Mid-American Conference members Toledo and Miami, once on C-USA's expansion radar, on Tuesday reaffirmed their commitment to staying in the MAC, and the MAC issued a statement of its "solidarity."

C-USA has a roster of 11 schools for 2005-06, when the bulk of conference realignment happens around the country. Although C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky said staying at 11 "is still a viable option," he is on record as wanting a league with 12 schools, and athletic directors are expected to follow his lead. A 12-team league allows for divisional play in several sports and also will permit C-USA to have a football championship game.

Despite the lack of a formal announcement Tuesday, Banowsky was pleased.

"I think we took some big steps forward get to some consensus," he said. "We don't have a consensus yet, but we're making progress."

Banowsky said one reason league leaders are taking their time with the expansion evaluation is that the conference, after this decision, does not foresee any more membership changes in the near future.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... -headlines
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:55 am

Okay... In light of the above information, UTEP is the only player on the board that still makes sense. I cannot understand Temple's problem with allsports in the CUSA. The A-10 is not exactly well regarded here in the heart of A-10 country, and the CUSA would be a competitive step up across the board. Unless Temple wants to step down to I-AA in football, and unless they find a league really quickly, that's what is going to have to happen for them, Temple won't survive long as an independant and I doubt the Big East will want them back. That aside.

We go with UTEP, assuming it's cool with the eastern CUSA. It's the school that fits the profile the best, brings rebuilt basketball and rebuilding football, decent fan support and is the closest thing to bringing a new TV market to the CUSA. Distance is an issue.

LA Tech has been a good conference mate and is closer, but I just don't see enough value in terms of programs, budget, ad market, fan base, etc. I do feel for them, but don't think we take them along.

No way to we touch UNT. As an advertiser, they bring next to nothing other than very recent football success in an even more questionable conference than the WAC. They add no more than LA Tech.

I think 12 is the magic number; so we ought to pick very carefully, or maybe even leave it open for 11 for the time being. The reshuffle isn't done.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Dooby » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:14 am

UTEP is my third choice behind both UNT and LaTech. I really could care less which one is picked, but UTEP too far west for me to have any interest.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:25 am

I think it should be whoever Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane and ECU want. It would be a mistake for the new schools to try to influence the selection much. My guess is that Southern Miss will pull hard for La Tech and that will carry it. This all assumes Miami of Ohio is not interested, I think they would be the best choice for stability in the east.
Hoop Fan

Postby Greenwich Pony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:53 pm

I agree. Whoever the eastern schools want is fine. We do need to keep them happy.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:53 am

I wonder if UTEP is trying to work a Sun bowl bid into the picture. It would sure make their selection more attractive.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:33 am

I saw a post somewhere that UTEP gets some say in the Sun Bowl after 2005. They did manage to lobby the Frogs into the Sun Bowl several years ago when there was an openning and the Frogs were still in the WAC.
EastStang

Re:

Postby ArchieBart » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:04 am

Diehard Pony wrote:OP, I agree it should be better for SMU, but we were not "lucky" to get in. Britton Banowsky has long wanted SMU in C-USA, and thought he had us in in '99 when the Malin problems popped up. Banowsky lives in Highland Park, knows Gerald Turner very well, and wants to move the C-USA offices to Dallas.

Wow. How clueless are you? Banowsky was not the commisioner in 1999 (it was Mike Slive). Banowsky was brought on board in Oct. 2002. Also, C-USA offices have basically already moved to Dallas.
ArchieBart

Next

Return to Football