PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McCown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

McCown

Postby ponystudent » Sun Sep 09, 2001 9:02 pm

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/football/466879_09swrdup.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports_day/colleges/football/466879_09swrdup.html</A>
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Re: McCown

Postby RedRiverPony » Sun Sep 09, 2001 9:53 pm

How depressing is that? He gets blasted for inaccuracy when he's here, and now he's going to use his size and speed, and stats at a lesser school/program, to make himself into a borderline NFL prospect (not saying he'll make the NFL, just that he'll get a look). Add him to the list of talents who got away from SMU and proved himself elsewhere.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RedRiverPony:
<B>How depressing is that? He gets blasted for inaccuracy when he's here, and now he's going to use his size and speed, and stats at a lesser school/program, to make himself into a borderline NFL prospect (not saying he'll make the NFL, just that he'll get a look). Add him to the list of talents who got away from SMU and proved himself elsewhere.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the irony is that the NFL scouts weren't even there to look at him! They were there to look at Tarleton State's QB! The other irony is that McCown is now playing for MY alma mater, Sam Houston State University! Yes, I'm a Mustang fan through and through...but I can't help but see the irony in McCown coming to SHSU after being at SMU!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stangfan » Mon Sep 10, 2001 8:02 pm

I think you're right. It always seems to happen when SMU players leave they turn into wonderful football players. It really shows you how depressing our coaching staff and football club truly is.

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Postby PK » Mon Sep 10, 2001 8:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stangfan:
<B>I think you're right. It always seems to happen when SMU players leave they turn into wonderful football players. It really shows you how depressing our coaching staff and football club truly is.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact of the matter is that both of our "wonderful" quarterbacks that left and then became great heros went to 1-AA programs where perhaps they belonged in the first place. I'm not a fan of Cavan's way of treating quarterbacks, but lets not get carried away with what these guys do in 1-AA ball when what we have to deal with is Div 1 football...and there is a difference.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:23 am

PK: If that's the case, then what was Cavan's reason for recruiting them to begin with? I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's time to show Mike Cavan the door out of Big D!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:40 pm

Chris and Josh were both capable of being very successful in Division 1A football. I played with both of them as well as Ramon and trust me, they were capable of getting the job done.

Postby PK » Thu Sep 13, 2001 6:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swami:
<B>Chris and Josh were both capable of being very successful in Division 1A football. I played with both of them as well as Ramon and trust me, they were capable of getting the job done.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swami: I was undoubtedly being too harsh and insensitive when I made my comment "...where perhaps they belonged in the first place". I have been a season ticket holder for twelve years now and have only missed two home games (max.) and I stay to the bitter end of the games. I have been very frustrated and unfortunately this season is not looking very hopeful at this time. I do not dislike these guys at all and I know especially in Josh's case they took a physical beating in many games, but I was quite frankly disappointed in the performances of both Chris and Josh while at SMU....perhaps our expectations were too high. They probably ARE both capable of getting the job done in D-1A and I would not be surprised at all that the way they were treated and coached was not at least part of the reason for their less than stellar performances here.

Having said all that, they still wound up in 1-AA football which is as I said different from 1-A. My point being that we can't compare their performances between what they did at SMU and after they left fairly as a result of that difference. I am glad for them they got to experience the joy of winning ....I only wish they could have done that here. I could use some of that kind of joy!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby stangaholic » Fri Sep 14, 2001 5:07 pm

The worst thing Cavan did was get rid of Chris Sanders. He would have made an excellent leader and a hell of a QB at SMU

Both Chris and Josh were capable of making SMU a winning team. Cavan's inability to "stick" with a QB or O is what resulted in some not so stellar performances. Once again...Cavan is the problem.
stangaholic

Return to Football