PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Position change

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Position change

Postby giacfsp » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:49 pm

Forgive me if this already has been posted, but I heard that former OT-turned-DE Mike Benson has been moved again -- he's now a TE. He's listed (in last year's programs) at 6-5, 265. Stick him into a two-TE set with Ryan Kennedy (6-5, 261 in last year's programs) and add that to the new, larger OL, and you have seven hosses across the front. Sounds like the makings of a really nice short-yardage offense. And Kennedy and Benson can both catch, too. (I don't mean to leave out Derek Swofford, but let's face it -- Kennedy and Benson are huge.)
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:26 am

Oh yeah: I think Fred Turner is now playing WR, too.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:15 pm

Why was Turner moved to WR? Was he struggling at CB? Or were the WRs in need of a boost? If nothing else, he adds serious speed.
Anyone know if he can run a route? I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:44 pm

I expected this earlier-can't understand all the optimism some of you guys have about all the alleged Superstars we've got at WR. It could be among our weakest positions which ain't great if you are going to run a passing offense.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:50 pm

If Henderson hasn't lost any quickness and speed after his late season injury, don't be surprised if BOTH he and Turner see playing time in next year's offense. We need more weapons. Last year's group got very little separation. More speed, please!!!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PG » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:42 pm

Turner will definitely get on the field faster as a WR than a CB. There's a numbers crunch at CB right now with Humphrey and Akinyemi as the starters. McGee and Barnett are the backups, and the coaches really like a walk-on named Brandon Jones, who has been making some nice plays this spring. Don't forget we have Lindley and Haynes coming in. It's possible that either of them could start right away.

Turner's speed will be an asset in this offense. Trust me, Coach Burns already has some tricks up his sleeve for Fred.
PG
Junior Varsity

Return to Football