PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What to do...What to do

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What to do...What to do

Postby ponystudent » Sun Sep 09, 2001 9:06 pm

Copeland is a fundraiser. He got the stadium built. Good work, but it is time to move on to a program builder. Copeland is too conservative when it comes to marketing SMU athletics and turning the program around. Let's face it, soccer doesn't bring in the dollars, FB and BBall do. I wish he left himself in the running for that NC State gig last year.

A new, program building, AD will know what kind of coach to hire...a prooven one.

------------------
Go Ponies!
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Re: What to do...What to do

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:46 am

Here's the 'inside scoop' on the reason that Copeland took himself out of the running for that NC State gig, which would have also seen Cavan going with him:

The alumni and fans of NC State began a massive email and letter writing campaign to the administration threatening a boycott of NC State athletics and, specifically, football if Copeland was hired because it was widely known that he would bring Cavan with him. Cavan's reputation at SMU was already cemented and NC State wanted nothing to do with him!

Although I don't agree with 'boycotts' (there's nothing else to do in North Carolina!), it's obvious that the fans and alumni of NC State knew how to get their school's adminstrators' attention!

MUSTANGS! IT'S TIME FOR US TO DO THE SAME!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: What to do...What to do

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:47 pm

I'm going as crazy as anyone over the current plight of our team. Love our guys, support them beyond reason and wish them nothing but the best.

But I have to draw the line at trash-talking Copeland. The guy has done a bang-up job since he arrived on the Hilltop. Hopefully he'll be as successful on his next project of identifying a coach that can build a championship team here as he did in his last major project -- building Ford Stadium.

Remember, Copeland is limited by the cards he's dealt. Academic standards for one. Good college coaches are going for over a $ million a year these days. And what great coach is going to want to leave a successful program to turn around a program in dire straights such as ours.

It's going to take a special coach who's committed for the long term and big bucks to bring him here.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football