PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NFL Draft

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NFL Draft

Postby Corso » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:47 am

Rick Gosselin has been doing his pre-Draft series for the last week, in which he breaks down the top prospects at each position and highlights some Southwest guys. In Friday's Special Teams section, he identifies Jonas Rutledge as his "sleeper."

"Jonas Rutledge is not big (5-9, 181 pounds) and not fast by NFL standards (4.54 40-yard dash), but he started four years at cornerback for SMU and returned 99 kickoffs (for) an average of 24.5 yards. He took back one of those kickoffs 92 yards for a touchdown against Hawaii in 2001 and averaged a career-best 33.0 yards per return in 2004. He's worth a late-round look on special teams."
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPower » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:36 am

Has anyone heard if Jonas is likely to be drafted? I fear that he might not - he's an inch or two shorter than Kevin Garrett, and doesn't have KG's speed. And KG - once projected as a second- or third-round pick - slid to the fifth last year.

What about other Ponies? He didn't collect the accolades many expected during his career, but I wonder if someone might take a late-round chance on Sterling Harris, if only because his dimensions are ideal for a tackle. And supposedly he ran really well at SMU's Pro Day and performed well in the strength tests in front of NFL scouts.

Word is that Keylon Kincade ran a 4.8 in the 40 - the same time posted by Iowa OT Robert Gallery. But his productiveness apparently has caught the eye of a scout or two. I would bet he gets a free agent look somewhere.

The guy I'd like to see get a chance is Steve Reindl. He quietly was a terrific center for the Ponies, and I think he can deep-snap. He'd be the ultimate "who is that guy?" story for the fans of some team, if he gets a chance. But I think he'd do OK, because he's a smart, tough guy who has talent and seems to have the attitude needed to play OL. Bulk him up a bit and who knows?
PonyPower
All-American

Return to Football