PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Very Impressive

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:55 pm

Thought I would provide some stats to support my post above re big men. From the game program:

OL Caleb Peveto 6-4 285 FR-RS
OL Darrin Johnson 6-6 292 SO-1L
OL Eric Neal 6-4 296 SR-2L
OL Brad Kieschnick 6-3 298 JR-2L
OL Grant Eidson 6-1 283 JR-2L
OL Bryan Turner 6-1 292 SO-1L
OL Townsend Hargis 6-4 310 SR-2L
OL Martin Guidry 6-4 285 SO-1L
OL Kenard Burley 6-5 320 FR-RS
OL Chris Urbanus 6-5 320 SO-0L
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Camel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:03 pm

Damn right - a win in those first three (HAS to be TCU!) would be enormous for the program. Just one. I'm not greedy, I'm not asking for a perfect record this year (pretty realistic of me, huh?)

#2 will have another good year returning kicks .... but he might not be the only one returning. There's no secret that Jessie Henderson and especially David Henderson are projected as return guys, and potentially great ones.

How long until Tech gets here??????
Camel
Recruit

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:40 pm

For some reason I just have a reason we're going to beat TCU. *prays* PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:53 pm

[quote="gostangs"]Tech and OSU will have us outmanned for sure - but I think we may be closer to TCU then anyone would think comparing records last year. One surprise in those threee games would sure be nice.
quote]

TCU will be the higher ranked team...I've seen them as high as 10 pre-season.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:40 pm

Can someone give us an update on the #1 secondary? If we're truly to be on our way to respectability, this has got to be a strength, not a vulnerability. Going against #2s, and our #2s at that, I would hope that the DBs dominated. Here's to hoping that there will be far fewer instances of JRutledge-types giving chase to the opposition's wideouts, valiantly but futilely.
RGV Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:28 pm

I am sure they (TCU) will be ranked - but I think we saw last year how silly their top ten ranking was I am not saying they are not a cut above talent wise still - but recruiting wise we are lot closer to them then TT or OSU, and generally that is a reflection of what your prosepcts are on the field.
gostangs

Postby Tshoot » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:01 pm

The Dallas Morning News SMU: In University Park, senior running back Foy Munlin rushed for 96 yards and sophomore quarterback Chris Phillips threw for two touchdowns to lead the Red past the Blue, 42-20, in the annual SMU spring game.

In the important quarterback battle, junior college transfer Tony Eckert was strong. He completed 13 of 22 passes for 142 yards. Many of his passes were crisp, and he did not force passes into coverage.

Phillips, the incoming starter, struggled in the second half by starting 2-of-8, but finished 12 of 29 for 145 yards. SMU coach Phil Bennett said Phillips is No. 1 on the depth chart, but he's open to playing Eckert as well to give the Mustangs more options.

Calvin Watkins .................. Sounds to me like Bennett (along with most people at the scrimage) thought Eckert did pretty dam good. What is this Bovine Flatulance about Eckerts arm strength or lack of it? Most of his drives were into a stiff wind. Did you see that 55 yard pass on a rope into the wind that fell right into the recievers hands and was dropped? I think he has the best arm of the bunch not to mention the best pocket presence.
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:10 pm

Who said anything about Eckert's arm strength?
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re:

Postby Tshoot » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:04 am

Diehard Pony wrote:Who said anything about Eckert's arm strength?
Stallion did in the first post. said Eckert didnt have Phillips arm strength. What I saw was Eckert zipping the ball NOT Phillips.
Badda Boom
Tshoot

Postby Dooby » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:56 am

I know there was some talk at the end of the year questioning how were we going to replace Kincade. The response from those in the know was that Kincade might have been the 4th best running back in the system, but because of transfer rules and redshirting, Kincade was the one that got to play.

Everyone can put their fears about the running game to rest. Without question, Munlin is a much better than anything we had last year. He can run; he can catch; he can bowl people over; he makes mounds and mounds of jullienne fries. With Massey backing up, the running game is SOLID.

I thought Eckert looked good. He does have some zip on the ball. I was a little bit disappointed that Phillips doesn't appear to have improved his passing greatly over the spring. I am not that worried because while they did let Phillips run the ball some, these scrimmages won't show off Phillips true strength, which is the ability to make something out of nothing and sometimes make something out of less than nothing.

I thought the defense looked better than last season. You can see that Bennett is starting to do the things he wants to do. Linebackers looked good. Nnabuife. Nnabuife. Nnabuife. How many times did we hear that name over the PA? A dozen?

I asked this question before. Didn't we score only 1 touchdown at last year's spring game? I remember last year's game as being awful. If last year's game was a good indication of last year's season and this year's game is a good indication of next year's season, then I feel very positive. But it all comes down to winning one of these early games.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dandyfan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:20 am

a couple of the QB's did look good throwing the ball, once again, phillips was not one them. dooby mentioned his ability to make something out of nothing as what he(phillips) does best. that is kinda scary dont you think? my big fear is his making nothing out of something in this offense.
dandyfan

Postby ponyte » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:17 pm

Spring ball is about improving player skills. Spring ball is not about showing one's offensive and defensive schemes. Often experiments are tried in spring ball. Different plays and D alignments. And nobody shows their full offense or defense.

That said, it sounds like the athletes are stronger and more skilled than in the fall. Also, it sounds as if the team is finally getting comfortable with Bennett’s defensive scheme. The offense probably has some more additions that need to be put in at this point.

We are debating which QB has a better arm or who is the better player. Last year we had huge doubts about the position. That is an improvement in a skilled position that is much need. And possibly a glimpse of depth at the QB position (when was the last time SMU had that?).

We needed to work hard at improving our game over the middle (it has been none existent and that has made the WR position a very difficult position for success). We needed to improve our skills at passing over the middle and it sounds like the team did just that.

The linebacker play sounds like it improved. Good. We have been a step slow or an arm tackle too many in the past. We needed to improve the linebackers’ skill and it sounds like the team worked on that.

From the information provided, it sounds like the team worked on areas that needed to improve and that the overall athlete quality of the team has improved. I did not witness the spring game but the over all theme on this thread is an improvement in the team as compared to last year at this time.
ponyte

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:53 pm

From the DMN:

In the important quarterback battle, junior college transfer Tony Eckert was strong. He completed 13 of 22 passes for 142 yards. Many of his passes were crisp, and he did not force passes into coverage.

Phillips, the incoming starter, struggled in the second half by starting 2-of-8, but finished 12 of 29 for 145 yards. SMU coach Phil Bennett said Phillips is No. 1 on the depth chart, but he's open to playing Eckert as well to give the Mustangs more options.

If we're going to a more passing offense, which it seems like we are since all we used last Saturday was the spread, Eckert is the choice. Reminded me of Chuck Hixson, and Foy Munlin makes a great Mike Richardson.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:58 pm

Did the starting linebackers surprise anyone? Rico Harris, Lee, and Carrington?

It looks like they are going to try and keep Avery, Muse, and Hall together as a group, which may be a smart idea. I wonder if they are going to challenge for PT as a group or as individuals?
JasonB

Previous

Return to Football