PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ricky Joe Meeks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby money » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:38 am

SMU didn't win a game last season, and the best qb in camp and best leader is thinking of moving on and you say nothing to worry about.
money

Postby abezontar » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:48 am

I think someone is a little too close to the situation to be giving reports about who is the best qb and team leader.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:48 am

My goodness, I didn't say I wanted to ship him off. If he wants to go, he should go. I would certainly prefer for him to stay as I have heard nothing but good things about him.

But if we play him, and bench someone else, then all their friends are going to join ponyfans and come on here and cry that their friend isn't getting a fair shake.
Mike Damone
All-American

Re:

Postby JasonB » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:28 am

money wrote:Mike Damone,
From what I've heard 6 reps in the spring game isn't competition. I believe some of the qb's have been shorted on reps from the begining and haven't had a fair shake at the job. I've seen Phillips play and I've seen Ricky Joe play, give them equal reps, equal play calling against an equal defense with the same offensive personel and you've got yourself a competition. Who knows Phillips may still be your guy but we'll never know until ALL the qb's get a fair shake. If he stays(hopefully) or if he goes he will make a good qb for someone. Great young man with good morals an leadership qualities. I would think that's what SMU is looking for. Yet, Mr. Damone is ready to ship him off.

Let's give all the QB's equal reps. That way all 6 of them can get 2 reps each with the first team. We will easily be able to figure out who will win the starting job!

Give me a break, the #1 and 2 QBs are always going to get the reps, and the other guys are going to have to be spectacular with the second and third teams in order to move up the ladder. That is the way it always has and will be. It sucks to be the #4, but I am sure with hard work and performance, he will show just fine. The coaches want to win just as much as anyone else, there is no conspiracy theory here. I didn't see Meeks last year, I only know what I saw at the spring game. He obviously had some good accuracy but also struggled to put zip on the ball and throw the ball deep. Give the kid some time, and I am sure he will mature and become a very solid QB. Eckert from a passing standpoint is obviously the best QB we have right now, and Phillips is in the competition because he has a strong arm and can run around and make things happen, which is necessary because who knows how our OL will perform. Once Eckert and Romo graduate, then Meeks will battle Phillips for the starting job from a passing perspective.

I for one am excited that all 4 of those QBs look better than what we had in camp last spring, from a talent standpoint...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ace of Spades » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:36 am

JasonB I do see what you are saying, but isnt the spring suppose to be a time for someone to prove what they can do. The fall is a time for you to worry about your oppenents, the spring is a time for the coaches to find the best players. Im not so sure Meeks is the best QB now that that is what this has gotten to. I just originally posted to let yall no the talk. But how can you know if someone is the best if they dont get even reps. Eckert is a transfer and hasnt done anything to prove himself except arm strength. Which we all no that is the most important thing, you have to a leader. Chris started the last 5 games and it is his to lose, but the other three should have got to duke it out all 6 weeks. Thats all besides the point though, i want meeks to stay, but i do wish him the best of luck no matter. All i have heard is good things. Hell i have heard the coaches say he had three recruits this last signing period. But also if you think about the situation, im really excited we are having this debate, when is the last time we had a GOOD qb debate ?????
Ace of Spades

Postby money » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:30 pm

well, i am not as close as you may think. i met the kid once, two years ago when i had to coach against him in a playoff game. he had a positive impact on the way his team played. yes, i am going some on what i saw in HS. i didn't mean to leave out the other qb's in the battle i just feel i am partial to this one(east texas boy). i have seen a couple of scrimmages and agree Phillips is a good runner and has a strong arm. the cal. kid also has a good arm. sorry if i offended anyone or stirred the pot. that wasn't my intentions. wish all involved good luck and god bless.
money

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:28 pm

Ricky Joe sounds like a nice prospect and one that we want to keep but somewhere the coach must focus on those he feels are likely going to contribute in the short term. With so many on the depth chart some reps is not bad, especially for a red-shirt freshman.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football