PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Red/Blue thoughts/observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Red/Blue thoughts/observations

Postby Camel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:40 pm

* Anyone know an injury update on the guys who didn't dress for the game? Guys I saw in street clothes (with jerseys, which is how I could figure out who they were) included:

Grant Eidson
Matt Rushbrook
Townsend Hargis
Jay Taylor
Chris Godfrey
Reynaldo Pellerin

* Foy Munlin is going to have a monster year. He looks amazing. He's thick and fast, and anyone who tries to arm-tackle him this year is going to be embarrassed .... and probably injured.

* Devin Lowery looks like a natural if ever there was one. So smooth! Seems to have really good hands. I was a little leary when I saw him at first - he looks like he'll blow away in a gentle breeze - but he made a bunch of receptions, including the touchdown when he got hit by Johnnie Fitzgerald and Joe Sturdivant .... and held on to the ball.

* Tony Eckert looked good. He seemed to be the most comfortable QB in the new offense. No idea why, but that's the impression I got.

* Justin Rogers will lead the team in sacks this year, and that goes along with the assumption that we'll actually have a pass rush this year. He looks like he's a lot stronger, and has maintained his quickness. He was able to shove offensive linemen straight back and seems to have good timing getting those arms straight up to knock down passes.

* The second unit of the offensive line (LT Eric Neal, LG Justin Boren, C Bryan Turner, RG Kenard Burley, RT Ben Poynter) looked pretty strong. Not overwhelming, but it seems like the depth is improved. Subbing one or more of these guys might not be as much of a drop-off as before.

* Fred Turner's going to be OK at receiver. He's not there yet (he's played the position for what, a week?) But he has some ability. He's not just a track guy. He looked like he understands the basics of running routes, and he made several catches, even hanging on after some big hits. He needs better flexibility and footwork - there were a couple of passes he could have reached if he'd laid out for them, rather than simply reaching - but his speed will be a great asset to the offense once he's more comfortable in the position.

* Who's Chris Foster? There was a WR wearing #28 and he made a couple of decent catches. The roster they handed out lists him as a junior (0 letters) from Plano East High School, and it says he's 5-11, 183. Other than that, I know nothing. Never heard of him. Any insight?

* Cory Muse .... wow. This kid looks terrific. The move to jersey #11 is awesome. Now he looks like a hybrid of Kevin Aldridge and LaVar Arrington. If he's as good as either one, I'll be happy. From the looks of things, he's added a ton of weight/strength since he arrived last year, and he can run. He didn't seem to make a lot of tackles, but he always seemed to be around the ball. And he looks like he can really hit. Maybe a future star?

* Cedric Vinson looks like a player. I'd written him off last year when he never got off the bench, but he made several nice catches yesterday. He runs well and runs good routes. Looks very athletic. Maybe he'll be a boost to the WR crew, sliding under the radar with all the attention given to Lowery, Bobby Chase, Tony Hawkins, etc.

That's all I can remember at the moment. If I remember more, I'll jump back on here.
Camel
Recruit

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:54 pm

I like Munlin's balance as much as (if not more than) his speed and power. There were several times he took a solid hit and simply bounced outside when a lesser RB might have been brought down. I'm cautiously optimistic he could have a huge year.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Return to Football