PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NFL DRAFT: The bizarre can happen when picking #1

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NFL DRAFT: The bizarre can happen when picking #1

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:25 am

from the San Diego Union-Tribune...SMU Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg is mentioned:

One of the most bizarre top choices came in 1956, when the Steelers tapped Gary Glick, an obscure 26-year-old quarterback/defensive back from Colorado A&M (now Colorado State).

Among the players Pittsburgh passed up: Michigan State quarterback Earl Morrall, Penn State running back Lenny Moore and Southern Methodist offensive tackle Forrest Gregg.

The Steelers, in their infinite wisdom, bypassed them all for a slow safety.

Glick later would tell the Denver Post's Mike Burrows about his introduction to the NFL:

"What's funny is, when I was drafted, Art Rooney and the Steelers wanted me to know three things. One, that they were the lowest-paying team in the league and intended to stay that way. Two, that nobody pays to see a defensive back play football. And, three, I could have all the tickets I wanted, and they were $5.50 apiece."

Glick, who never would be more than a journeyman, got a $2,000 bonus and a $10,000 rookie salary.

He later would play for the Redskins and Colts, finishing his career with the Chargers' American Football League championship team of 1963.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football