PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Starting QB

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Starting QB

Postby PK » Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:38 pm

I have absolutely nothing against David Page ... in fact he is a good quarterback, but if Luker can return to the form he showed in highschool he can make things happen on the field. You have to realize that Luker didn't play in any games for a year and needs the game experience to get himself back to his old form. The pass to Cardwell for the non-touchdown in the first quarter was beautiful, but most of the night he was having to dodge TCU's huge defensive linemen that appeared to all out weigh our offensive linemen. The last thing we need is another year of musical quarterbacks. Cavan has already run off enough QB's as it is with that style of coaching(?). The place for competing for the starting position is during practice and not during the game unless the person shows that he absolutely can't hack it in real game situations.

Since I brought up the subject on offensive linemen, I thought they did a great job in the first quarter, but TCU has so much depth in their defensive line that they can rotate players on the line all night long keeping them fresh whereas our offensive line does not have that luxury.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-10-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:18 pm

Somebody sitting behing us made an interesting comment, so I started watching...

Luker was getting smacked around so much, that it got to the point that every time a TCU defender clsed on him, he'd flinch and turn away. Compare that to the composure and accuracy of Brad Johnson in yesterday's Cowboys game. He was poised, kept tracking his receivers through the release... and then got creamed. Just an observation. Another reason why things seem to snowball downhill.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangMan » Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:29 pm

Yeah, but at least Dallas lost, too (and the Dolphins won). Made something out of an otherwise bad football weekend.
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:46 pm

Can't say I agree with the question on the opening page. I'm not sure why everyone wants to create a QB controversy. I think Luker should continue to start. The only reason Page had decent numbers was because he got to throw all the time cause we were behind. Luker was stuck handing the ball off and going 3 and out. He also couldn't be effective cause they could sit on the passes since we were always stuck in third and long. Anyway, I'm sick of the QB rotation of the last several years and think it does nothing positive for the team. Hopefully, Cavan won't hold this over Luker's head and he'll be given the reps to perform up to his potential.
D
Varsity

Return to Football