PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Eli Manning

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Eli Manning

Postby HorsePower » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:31 pm

Ole Miss QB Eli Manning is viewed by many (though not by all) as the top prospect in the NFL Draft. The San Diego Chargers might or might not be among those holding this view, and they are considering the possibility of picking him first overall in this weekend's Draft.

Now Eli's daddy, Archie, has stepped forward and said he doesn't want the Chargers to take Eli, because it's "not a good fit" or something.

WAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Such manipulation goes against the intent of the league and the system, the same league and system that allowed Archie to make a damn good living as an NFL quarterback, live in nice neighborhoods, send is kids to exceptional schools, etc. It's the nature of the beast that the worst teams get the chance (via their high draft picks) to get the best young players entering the league.

I know there are those who support Archie in this, saying he's looking out for his son, because the Chargers have no receivers anyone can name and an offensive line that couldn't block a row of oncoming snails. Fine -- parents who want the best for their children are to be commended.

If that's really his issue -- Eli's physical well-being -- then he shouldn't be handcuffing the Chargers. Archie should tell the Chargers PRIVATELY (I know, he didn't mean for this to get out -- he should know better) to trade the pick or choose someone else. However, they have no obligation to do so. If they think Eli really is the best player available, that means they're willing to offer a little more than the six-year, $49 million deal Carson Palmer got last year from the cheapskate Bengals. That's a lot of reasons to take a beating while helping to turn around a sorry team -- just like his brother Peyton did.

And Archie's overprotective whining is just going to increase the beating Eli takes in training camp, wherever he ends up.

Maybe there's a misconception in the Manning house that being born in to that family guarantees an NFL future. Newsflash: even if you're 6'5" and can throw a ball 60 yards and your name is Manning, playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a birthright, and it's an honor for which the compensation is extraordinary, to say the least.

Let him get a real job like the rest of the world. I can't think of any of us born into the real world who would turn down $50 million to play football and live in San Diego.

If that's not good enough, Archie needs to teach Eli how to say "uh .... you want fries with that?"
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby The Q » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:38 am

Good points, HorsePower. I bet Archie wishes he hadn't gone through the draft and become the favorite athlete in the history of New Orleans (with the possible exception of Pete Maravich). All those business opportunities and all that fan adulation must have been a real bummer.

I hope his superiority complex and big mouth don't make Eli into a walking pile of lunchmeat for LaVar Arrington, Dexter Coakley and Corey Simon, etc. It'd be too bad if Eli gets pummeled because his dad couldn't let his son grow up on his own.
The Q
Varsity

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:49 am

Personally, I think the Chargers came out on the better end of this deal. They got the QB they really wanted and they got 3 picks out of it. It ended up working out for all parties involved. I just get some satisfaction out of knowing a NFC East rival got fleeced. Maybe Darren Woodson or Roy Williams could give Eli a "welcome to the NFL" greeting. That would be nice. :D
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby Mike Damone » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:08 pm

I don't blame Eli one bit. Archie played for a team that had zero commitment to winning and it shortened his career. By forcing his hand, Eli forced the Chargers to trade him to the Giants. So Eli got what he wanted, the Giants got what they wanted, and the Chargers got what they wanted (and extremely well compensated for moving down three picks and getting the qb they wanted).

Playing for the Giants instead of the Chargers could drastically change everything about his career and life. And the Mannings, who do have a lot of experience quarterbacking in the NFL, felt strongly enough about this to force it. So being booed by a few yahoos was a small price to pay to give himself a much better chance to suceed in his career.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:39 pm

I think Eli and Archie look real sorry for pulling this stunt. If this had been anyone else but a Manning, it wouldn't have gone anywhere. Just because he's the so called top player in the draft, no one is under any obligation to put him in a "ideal" situation. If that were the case, everyone would want to play for the Super Bowl winner.

Hard to feel sorry for a guy that would have gotten a 50 million dollar contract(and will probably end up with a 40-45 million dollar contract). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Carson Palmer whining about having to go to the Bengals which at that time was(and even still to an extent today still is) considered the Siberia of the NFL.

In any case, everyone got what they wanted. Eli got to go to NY,Rivers got to go to the team I think he wanted to be with and the Chargers were well compensated for "moving down" 3 slots and getting the guy they wanted all along.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:06 pm

I'm with those of you who blame the Mannings here. Mike Damone is right, Archie had to play with a terrible team, and the beatings he took might have shortened his career. However, to me this reeks of "Mannings deserve better treatment" thinking. Carson Palmer went to the Bengals, handled the situation with class and even said in an interview this week that he almost was embarrassed cashing his paychecks. Peyton Manning single-handedly made the Colts respectable in his first year and is the poster boy for the NFL's clean-cut image it wants to portray.

As for Archie, maybe he still feels those hits he took playing for the awful Saints teams. With that in mind, I hope he tells Eli how to change oil, run a dry cleaner or maybe deliver newspapers (with that arm, he's a natural). Because playing for the Giants, it's not like he isn't going to get hit. Their offensive line is sorry, at best. Roy Williams, Sean Taylor and Brian Dawkins are going to be chomping at the bit when their coaches call for a safety blitz. Eli needs to thank his unappreciative dad when he's icing down his bruises next year.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby PonyFan » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:08 pm

And I hope Philip Rivers turns into the second coming of Dan Fouts for the Chargers, and that the extra #1 pick they picked up for next year from the Giants turns out to be another major star.

Got to love seeing the Giants overpay. It's almost like Steinbrenner's running the team.
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby giacfsp » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:24 am

I'm sure Eli and his dad/family agreed on this (I'd love to hear Peyton's view), but I also bet Eli wishes it was handled more diplomatically.
He'd better be damn good. If he turns into Ryan Leaf or Rick Mirer (part II), it's going to be rough. And if he has a rough go of it, he should make his dad handle all the interviews.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:55 pm

It isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. The NY Giants will welcome him on all fronts. He is within the rules of the NFL to sit out a year if he doesn't want to play for SD. John Elway did the same thing to the then Baltimore Colts. The Mannings played within the rules. SD is horrible and took their dream QB only a few years ago. Brees may be the product of that system and Eli doesn't want to be the next one. Marty isn't exactly know for his offenses or development of QBs. I don't blame Eli one bit. SD may come out better. It just depends on how well they use those draft picks. My bet is though with the history of the Chargers that the Giants won due to the ineptness of the Chargers. Who are the Chargers going to beat for their playoff spot? Denver? KC? Oakland? I imagine the Chargers will continue to bring up the rear in their conference as they have for years.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:53 pm

On the other hand Marty's unimaginative offenses are a dream for a young quarterback, because he never has to pass much. He just gets to hand off to Tomlinson and watch 10 guys tackle him. When Marty coached the Redskins (without anything resembling a quarterback), it was Davis left, Davis right, incomplete pass. Davis middle, Davis left, incomplete pass. Davis left, Davis left, incomplete pass. Then in the fourth quarter he'd throw a bomb on first down and the receiver would drop the pass. That being said, Marty did manage a 8-8 season with virtually no quarterback on that team. He does have a stud running back and a decent defense.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:10 pm

Yeah- Marty can coach anyone to a mediocre season. It is rising above that where he has problems. It hasn't mattered much who his QB is, the offense you descibed is the same. I'm not sure that is a QB's dream though. I can't think of a single decent QB developed under MS.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:33 pm

EastStang, are U talking about the Giants or Kinkaid with the Mustangs? Hand off left, hand off right. Didn't Kinkaid just sign with the Giants?
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re:

Postby In Tate We Trust » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:04 pm

OldPony wrote:It isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. The NY Giants will welcome him on all fronts. He is within the rules of the NFL to sit out a year if he doesn't want to play for SD. John Elway did the same thing to the then Baltimore Colts. The Mannings played within the rules. SD is horrible and took their dream QB only a few years ago. Brees may be the product of that system and Eli doesn't want to be the next one. Marty isn't exactly know for his offenses or development of QBs. I don't blame Eli one bit. SD may come out better. It just depends on how well they use those draft picks. My bet is though with the history of the Chargers that the Giants won due to the ineptness of the Chargers. Who are the Chargers going to beat for their playoff spot? Denver? KC? Oakland? I imagine the Chargers will continue to bring up the rear in their conference as they have for years.

Marty Schottenheimer might be an unimaginative coach, but Tom Coughlin isn't exactly going to make anyone forget Don Coryell or Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs. And you call San Diego "horrible" - how would you assess those 4-12 Giants? This is a case of a me-first family trying to call shots when they don't have that right.

Actually, they do have the right to tell a team that they don't want their son to play for that team. In which case he should brace for the idea of getting a real job. See how appealing the Chargers look when you're making $6 an hour and your first name appears on a tag on the front of your shirt, rather than your last name across your back and on the scoreboard.

Funny: Kincade last year ran his tail off, pounding into the defensive line when everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball. He got physically beaten up, and he never complained once. Maybe he can teach Eli and Archie something about being a team player.
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Return to Football