PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The New Bitter DiamondM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The New Bitter DiamondM

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:37 pm

Okay, though I've become less bitter with a day's reflection, here are the little things that would happen if I were queen:

1. If you score a touchdown on a great play and it is called back, that play would actually be called again during the game. It's not like it was some super double secret trick play that can be used only once. It was, however, more interesting and surprising than running Kincaid over left tackle 3 out of every four downs.

2. When down by 14 with a minute or so to go, the coach would actually show some life by trying to do something other than packing it into the locker room. There is nothing more disheartening and confidence shattering to players and fans than to call the "take the knee" or its equivalent instead of, gasp, actually try to get something going, moving the ball etc. to try to get some momentum back.

3. The yell leaders would not wear baggy minidresses as shirts. Get something that tucks in please.

4. "Mustang Motion" would figure out that our colors are BLUE and red, not black and red. I'm pretty sure they sell navy stretch spandex. Can't wait til we play Texas Tech in basketball and our pom girls look exactly like theirs.

5. Thanks to Chick-Fil-A for the sponsorship, and I love the Chicken Dance as much as the next person, but please do not play it over the band. If you're going to do it, play it late in the second quarter when the band is changing and isn't playing anyway.

6. If SMU Fans can't generally be loud, supportive, etc. (though I will admit to being in the doldrums myself late int he game Sat.), at least they could get this basic rule of football cheering. Cheer very loudly while other team is attempting to snap ball when big defensive stop needed, aka any third down, downs deep in their own territory, anydown where long yardage needed, etc. Conversely, when our offense is facing third and long, it is best not to be too loud to ensure that players can hear snap count and don't have to call time out or take a penalty.

6. And it pains me to say this, but the Mustang Band would sound more like a big time college band by playing between plays, after the snap, etc. to add atmosphere if not all the time, then most of the time. I swear for the first half I heard the TCU band do this over and over while the band was silent. And I don't mean a drum cadence, I mean some repetitive calling card tune, like Peruna used to be. Since the band has decided not to play Peruna incessantly like we used to (which is fine), something has to replace it. Turn on the tv some free Saturday and just LISTEN, no need to even watch, to a "real" college football game, say between Michigan and Ohio State, or, though I hate em, Florida and FSU. There is very little dead time at all. TCU's band (and I'm not talking quality or volume or anything like that) is sounding like big time college bands sound, always playing, repeating an 8 or 16 bar tune. A Peruna fanfare would work in this spot, but it's got to be something loud and short.
DiamondM
Heisman

Re: The New Bitter DiamondM

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 10, 2001 3:54 pm

I would have been so agressive to call the same play on the very next down. If the defense does not stop it the first time, have the receiver put a fake move and run the same play again. Sound easy Huh.

I like Peruna over and over again. So it makes the mind hurt at times but the children at the game know when they hear it it is SMU's song.

What to do now is the question.
GSS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:37 pm

How about when you get down to or into the red zone you make your first play a pass into the endzone instead of a pass 5 yards behind the scrimmage line or a reverse for the 20th time? We don't have five offensive linemen 6'-5" weighing 330 pounds each opening huge holes to try to run the ball down after down like Texas (or maybe Georgia?). We do have a lot of receivers who they keep telling us are great...so why aren't we wearing out the other team's DBs with an aerial show? At least the fans might get a little excited if nothing else.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 10, 2001 4:41 pm

Yes. At least then we go down in flames, fighting, with a little heart, pizzazz, etc.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:38 pm

So "We do have a lot of receivers who they keep telling us are great..."

Great at what, dropping passes?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 10, 2001 6:45 pm

Oh yeah, I also have to agree with you DiamondM. I almost lost my nachos when the guys took a knee 1 minute before halftime. If Freeman and Griffith (sp?) are so freakin' fast, why didn't we at least take 3 shots at their endzone?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Up » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:00 pm

I agree with Peruna Punch. Griffin and Freeman can fly. Luker has a strong arm. Fling the damn thing 50 or 60 yards, let them run under it until they pass out from sprinting and at least give them a chance to drop the ball. But I've seen damn few teams score while downing the ball.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:03 am

Great posts! And now *drum roll, please* let's get to the root of the problem: POOR COACHING!

It's time to show Mike Cavan the door out of Big D!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Return to Football