PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA passes athletic reforms

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA passes athletic reforms

Postby leopold » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:03 pm

http://nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-NCAA-Reforms.html

There ya go. New rules for everybody.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:18 pm

These keys points will be critical for all schools and reward those committed to aiding and advancing their student athletes:

"The board previously voted to increase the number of core courses needed for freshman eligibility and to increase the number of hours required toward graduation to remain eligible.

Another piece of the package, approved last fall, required athletes to complete 20 percent of their degree requirements each year to remain eligible. The latest measure was designed to make the colleges themselves more accountable for keeping athletes on track to graduate.

``We're starting immediately to make these reforms real,'' said Robert Hemenway, chancellor of the University of Kansas and chairman of the Division I board.

The graduation rate ``cut line'' will be the same in all sports.

Schools that fall below that line will receive warning letters beginning in 2006-07. Consistently poor performing teams could begin losing scholarships in 2007-08 and postseason eligibility and money from NCAA tournaments starting in 2008-09.

Also, if a scholarship athlete leaves school while not academically eligible, that scholarship may not be replaced for one year under a ``contemporaneous'' penalty that goes into effect this fall."

Will the teeth be there? Is it possible to level the playing field or will the pressure to advance student water down academic achievement? I am hopeful; but based on history, I am not optimistic.

The timing also corresponds with the Division 1A FB attendance, 1A games required as well as support for all sports. Which initiative trumps the other?

:?:
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:43 pm

any so-called "academic" reform will just ultimately serve to widen the gap that already exists between the publics and privates. the public schools will have more funding to support more degree programs and courses of study that are more conducive to keeping marginal students (but great athletes) eligible. wait and see. maybe well intentioned, but the college presidents aren't going to kill the goose that is currently laying golden eggs.
Charleston Pony

Re:

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:any so-called "academic" reform will just ultimately serve to widen the gap that already exists between the publics and privates. the public schools will have more funding to support more degree programs and courses of study that are more conducive to keeping marginal students (but great athletes) eligible. wait and see. maybe well intentioned, but the college presidents aren't going to kill the goose that is currently laying golden eggs.

Yes, and as proof, the divide is evident already with JC recruiting rules (48 'transferrable' hours). Well, if you have more degrees, then you have a better likelihood of them being transferable.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:17 am

I have more faith in tax reform administered by the IRS than I have in academic reform administered by the NCAA. :?
ponyte

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:31 am

right and you watch right at the moment that the reforms will make a difference the NCAA will get rid of them just as they have with the 5/8 rule. Reports are that 168 Division 1A teams would not have been able to field the full number of scholarships of 13 next year without the repeal of the 5/8 rule. So where was the righteous indignation of the coaches prior to this year-they were too busy falling over themselves signing 3-4 JUCOs and transfers per year-that's where. I guarantee you that if it comes down to teams like OU, LSU and Tennesseee et al missing out on Bowl Games then these new measures will be tabled(for further study I'm sure) in a New York minute.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:57 am

The 5/8 rule fell because it was poor policy. Even schools like KU and Duke fell prey to the rule because some guys left early for pros and/or found they couldn't cut it and transfered. Both of these are pretty clean programs that graduate most of their players who stay for 4-5 years and neither has the rep of running off disappointing players.
As for the academic reforms, we don't know the rules yet so I'm not ready to say it will benefit the haves more than the have nots. Certainly, under most any criteria. Cincy wouldn't dance so it would get rid of one renegade. Time to retire Bob?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:08 pm

I'm pretty skeptical that these reforms will have any teeth. Not only is there no curriculum qualifications, the way I read it, there will be three warnings before any ramifications occur. No one will fall prey to this, okay, may Cincinatti...and TCU. :o
Hoop Fan

Return to Football