PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Recruits at the game on Saturday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Recruits at the game on Saturday

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2001 2:55 pm

The game was horrible for the prospective student athletes and also for the red-shirted freshman. I have a son that orally committed this past spring and he's extremely disappointed in the caliber of play and coaching. All descent players want to be apart of a winning team or one that has the potential to become a winning team, but in this case we just don't know. Saturday's show for all the recruits was just that, a show. The barbecue can be eaten at winning schools. To me and I'm a mother of athletes, the recruits in the weight room during dress time for the players was so distracting. The players should concentrate on the game ahead of them right up to the kick-off. Coaches should watch film, continue to plot strategies and construct plays that will win games. What is the offensive coordinator doing. The defense was on the field toooooooo long. They were worn out. Something must be done and we all know a miracle is an understatement. We have coming up 3 definite loses in my opinion, North Carolina, North Carolina State, and Fresno State(beat Navy 70 - 3 I think) anyway why not go to your depth chart ? why not use some of those recruited/scholarship redshirted players ? Any change would be great, but the reality is "a team is only as good as the coaching".

Re: Recruits at the game on Saturday

Postby stangfan » Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:55 pm

Motherof,
You've said it just right. I always hear players complaining about the coaches. They don't feel respected or that they care one bit about them. I think it's hard to play for anyone without a mutual respect. I think our staff has done an okay job with recruitment, because I truly believe the talent is there. BUT, we lack in the development. Cavan and the rest of his staff have no clue how to develop or motivate players to reach their greatest potential. It's obvious when players (McCown, Sanders and so many others) leave SMU to go on to great athletic careers.

------------------
stangfan
stangfan
stangfan
Recruit

Postby mustangs2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2001 7:05 pm

I agree, the coaches at SMU have no clue how to develope or motivate talented new players. Especially when they change them to new positions, the coachs just expect that they will be great at hard to learn spots like MLB. Recently, they lost a few walk ons that love the game of football and had tremendous potential to start and add to the depth. You probably haven't heard of them because these coaches are only going to support scholarship players since they have to cover their rear ends. In fact, if the coaches had piblished a profile on some of these guys you would be shocked at their prep accomplishments. That is exactly why these coaches are going to be leaving after this season. It is basically over, SMU will never be this bad again. By the way, they have some very good talent on the football team, just not being developed to potential.This entails both physical and mental. A note to the coaches, speed is only one segment, if they can not hold on to the football or catch a pass, it doesn't matter. I would suggest that they go back to the basics. "This is a football".
mustangs2001

Postby Big D » Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:32 pm

Who else offered your son? An oral commitment is, just that, oral, not binding. If "We" are that displeased, there is plenty of time to go elsewhere. I'm sure someone saw something in your son, but if he is heavily recruited somewhere else, then ya'll have a decision to make, before it's too late. The coaching situation will Not change this year, hopefully next.
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Tue Sep 11, 2001 10:36 pm

Not so fast my friends!

Let's not go encouraging Darrian to change his mind. I have a friend who claims to have seen him play, and says Darrian would be exactly what SMU needs. Please, MOTHEROF, talk to your son about why he committed to SMU in the first place -- to play for a team that will get better, in part because of him, and to attend one of the finest schools in the nation, not to mention the chance to play near home, in front of family and friends. We've started slowly this year, and we may struggle throughout the season. But there is talent and promise on this team, and Darrian needs to be a part of the future at SMU. He and his brother both will be players for the Ponies, and all PonyFans already are fans of theirs.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Not so fast my friends!

Let's not go encouraging Darrian to change his mind. I have a friend who claims to have seen him play, and says Darrian would be exactly what SMU needs. Please, MOTHEROF, talk to your son about why he committed to SMU in the first place -- to play for a team that will get better, in part because of him, and to attend one of the finest schools in the nation, not to mention the chance to play near home, in front of family and friends. We've started slowly this year, and we may struggle throughout the season. But there is talent and promise on this team, and Darrian needs to be a part of the future at SMU. He and his brother both will be players for the Ponies, and all PonyFans already are fans of theirs.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corso,
Darrian is still committed, but is afraid of losing out on a scholarship if Coach Cavan and his staff are no longer there. The same for his brother whose trying to earn a scholarship. The potential seen in a player by one coach, might not be seen by another.
So you must understand the decisions we as a family must make.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big D:
<B>Who else offered your son? An oral commitment is, just that, oral, not binding. If "We" are that displeased, there is plenty of time to go elsewhere. I'm sure someone saw something in your son, but if he is heavily recruited somewhere else, then ya'll have a decision to make, before it's too late. The coaching situation will Not change this year, hopefully next.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Big D
My son is being heavily recruited by others, but my son wants to attend SMU and it matters who the coaches are. He knows Coach Caven, Coach Baker, Coach Giles, Coach Belin, Coach Schumman, Coach Hyatt and the remaining coaches. Also, to receive his degree from one of the top schools in the U.S. is the most important thing to him, but using football as the way is his plan. When it's all said and done everyone wants to play for a winning team, everyone wants to attend a school with a winning team and that's the bottom line. We are making decisions for two sons. What Coach Caven has seen in my son, might not be seen by another coach.

Postby click » Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:52 am

Hey,MotherOf,I am the father of one of this year's freshman. My son was recruited last year and we sat thru some very bad games i.e. TCU.He was offered by four other schools all with winning records two that went to bowl games.We took the trips, took notes,then made the comparisons. One day he told me he was attending SMU.Was I surprised,Yes.When I asked him why,he told me three things 1)he wanted to be part of the building process 2) he said if you're a good enough player to play after college it want matter what team he plays for and 3)if he wasn't good enough then he will have a SMU degree and will have all the contacts that he will need to be successful. His comments made me feel very shallow,he was able to look past the bells and whistles when I wasn't.I know Darrian is a great player and he will be great no matter were he plays.I hope he makes the decision that is right for him.I know SMU needs him he will have to decide if he needs SMU. By the way I get a chance to watch practice every week your other son(I think he wears #42 in practice) is doing great.If you want to talk off the board contact me at otgttp2001@yahoo.com Bye
click
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by click:
<B>Hey,MotherOf,I am the father of one of this year's freshman. My son was recruited last year and we sat thru some very bad games i.e. TCU.He was offered by four other schools all with winning records two that went to bowl games.We took the trips, took notes,then made the comparisons. One day he told me he was attending SMU.Was I surprised,Yes.When I asked him why,he told me three things 1)he wanted to be part of the building process 2) he said if you're a good enough player to play after college it want matter what team he plays for and 3)if he wasn't good enough then he will have a SMU degree and will have all the contacts that he will need to be successful. His comments made me feel very shallow,he was able to look past the bells and whistles when I wasn't.I know Darrian is a great player and he will be great no matter were he plays.I hope he makes the decision that is right for him.I know SMU needs him he will have to decide if he needs SMU. By the way I get a chance to watch practice every week your other son(I think he wears #42 in practice) is doing great.If you want to talk off the board contact me at otgttp2001@yahoo.com Bye </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Click for the information. I know you are proud of your son. Darrian will make the right decision when the time comes and he will consider everything. My other son is wearing #41. I just want them to participate in the sport they both enjoy and love.

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:39 pm

Fear not, MOTHEROF

Your son is listed as 6-5, 290, and the reports are that he's not just big, but also talented and works hard. Every coach in his right mind would want him. There will be a place here for him. Make sure he knows that SMU fans already consider him a part of our family, as we do Cedric. Click makes great points - especially the part about if football for some reason falls apart, he'll have an SMU degree. I also like the earlier point Corso made about the chance to play near home, in front of you and the rest of his friends and family. We need both of your sons to be proud members of the SMU program. We look forward to seeing them play together here.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Big D » Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:23 pm

MOTHEROF-
I'm not familiar with your sons, but I have one that's been here for 3 years, and I have one that has graduated already from Southern Arkansas(played football). Click hit the nail on the head, a winning team is important, but not the bottom line to some people. A degree from a reputable school, which SMU is, is as important tas anything else. There is life after football for those who don't go to the league. Everyone here seems high on your sons, and would be a great addition to this team, but as one of your sons said, if you're good, it doesn't matter where you play ball. Now, if winning is most important, that's anybody's guess as to how we'll do in the next few years. New coaches can't come in here and cancel those who have already been commited, they have to honor them. But if any ships are left, they are welcome to bring their own recruits with them, and this happens all the time. Once they are here, and on scholarship, if they get hurt the 1st day, in a sports related accident, their scholarship is honored until they graduate, or a reasonable time(5 years). These are all things to consider, it would be great to have your sons here, but you have to think through all these factors, because it is a very important decision.
GO PONIES!!!
Big D
Scout Team

Postby Red+BlueDude » Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:12 pm

Wasn't aware that once a player commits, the coaches (or a new coach, should a change be made) had to honor that commitment. I'm glad to hear it, because Darrian and the other two linemen sound like promising prospects. Can't wait to see them charge out on the field next year at Ford Stadium.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Return to Football