PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Plea to Coach Kueck

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Plea to Coach Kueck

Postby PonyTales » Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:16 pm

Two things:

Until the receivers stop dropping catchable passes, PLEASE insert Bryan McDearman back into the lineup. He may not be able to run as fast as the others, but the guy runs precise routes, will go 100 percent on every play and will catch anything thrown near him.

Also, I watched several games a couple of weeks ago and saw a play that might work, if for no other reason than the fact that we don't use it already. The quarterback lines up in the shotgun, with a fast (Kincade) tailback about five yards to the side, and four receivers. The defense obviously will need to account for the receivers, so they will drop four, maybe five defenders into coverage. When the quarterback takes the snap, he looks to see if a receiver has sprung open downfield. If not, he flips a quick, long pitch to the tailback - almost a forward lateral. Presumably the tailback is quick enough (and already lined up wide) to get around the defensive end, and one receiver breaks off his route to hit the outside linebacker. Should be good for a MINIMUM of 8-10 yards per play, until the defense makes adjustments - which would open up something else.

For a visual, check out ESPN. They're running college football commercials in which Clemson runs it - very effectively.

Your thoughts?
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Plea to Coach Kueck

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:27 pm

I heard that the shovel pass only worked in the AFC Image. So I guess it would work in the WAC at well. For some reason, reading this description brought back memories of the early 90's in the SWC, when every time we had 3rd and 15, we lined up in this same formation, ran a draw to the running back and lost two more yards Image.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football