PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offensive Line

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offensive Line

Postby click » Mon Sep 17, 2001 7:26 pm

Reading some of the past posts,esp.the pre-season posts everyone seem to agree that our season hinged on the development of the O-line.Well two games in I can tell you our O-line is bad.I've watched them alot and individually their are some good players,but as a unit they are horrible. 36 rushes for 70 yards vs La Tech 26 rushes for 50 yards vs TCU.Qb's having to run for their life on every play.It's no wonder we have no offensive output,WE HAVE NO OFFENSIVE LINE. Coach Baker this falls on you.No longer are we outsized on the line you are not coaching these guys to be successful.Every team starts with the O-Line then add some play makers and you can move the ball.We have the play makers we need a line.You must do something NOW!
click
Scout Team

Re: Offensive Line

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 17, 2001 10:33 pm

Well, I think everyone know going into the season that the offensive line was the key. If it is downhill as it seems, it seems to me that we should just get Kelan some experience the rest of the year, put him back in the shotgun, and Just open the offense up. I know our defense is good and we want to keep them off the field and rested, but I think that with the smaller recievers that we have, going in a spread offense is the best solution. It also spreads the defense and eases the responsibilities on the offensive line. I am like Cavan and love to run the ball, eat up clock time, and go on long, grinding drives for touchdown, and have a great defense on the other side of the ball. But our offense is just not going to be able to win that way right now. Hopefully Cavan can open himself up to the situation at hand, and open up the offense to try and score some points. Then, hopefully next year Tommy Miller and Sterling Harris are ready to go and we can pound away on offense.

I would also suggest that we situationally substitute on the offensive line; put harris in on third and short, since he is better on running plays than passing.

I also think that our offense is hampered by confidence. Opening it up a bit will bring confidence to the players. Our defense is good, and the offense performed well on the ground against them. If we can open the game up and get some offense going, I think our running game will come back!
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stangaholic » Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:02 pm

DON'T BASH THE O-LINE!
Coach Baker is a good coach. I believe that he is one of the best coaches on the coaching staff (among several). He is a good motivator and a good teacher. I think that the offensive line has good players. Mac, Slaten, TC and the crew are all good players. The group has enough talent and grit to get the job done right and with the right combination of offensive players...they will be good. Don't be so quick to bash the 0-line...they take enough crap as is.
stangaholic

Postby click » Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:08 pm

Read my post, I said there were some good players, but as a unit they are horrible. If the O-Line is as good as you said it is then explain to me why we averaged 60 yards per game rushing game and our QB never has anytime in the pocket to pass. Wait did I say pocket, that was a slip, because that is a non-existent item with this line.The reason I bashed Baker is because it is his responsiblity and it is not getting done.If I have employees that are not performing, the first person I contact is their supervisor to find out why. It's no different here, the O-line is bad, go to Baker and find out why.If he can't fix it,it's his fault. Oh, and about him being the best coach,PLEEEEEASE.I talked with some(3) of the recruits(O-Linemen) last weekend, done liked Baker.
click
Scout Team

Postby stangaholic » Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:26 pm

Read my post!
You obviously don't know anything about football! Believe it or not there is more to how the 0-line performs outside of just how they block. There are many elements that go into the performance of the offense and the o-line. Now I agree that if your employees (like you have any) don't perform...you go to their boss. However, the blame here doesn't rest soley on the o-line. Now before you go off halfed cocked...READ MY POST...I never said that they had performed well thus far...I SAID THAT WITH THE RIGHT COMBINATION ON OFFENSE...THEY WILL BE GOOD!
Now as far as you thinking that Coach Baker is a sub par coach...OOOOHHHH...you talked to a couple of recruits...does that qualify as a Gallop poll?...who cares what a couple of recruits think about a coach. Hell you might even know more about football than they do (not really). And furthermore, it doesn't matter if they like the coach..it matters if they respect him. Take it from someone that actually played football...Coach Baker is a good coach..not that he need me to defend the him against the likes of an incompetent [deleted] (YOU!).
stangaholic

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:12 pm

I totally agree with stangaholic. You must respect the coach first, no need to "like" him. There are many factors that go into a successful offense and the o-line is a huge piece, but not the only one. It takes all 11 people carrying out their specific assignment in order to have success. Do i think this group stinks, no. Do I think they are great, no...They do have the ability to become a good offensive line and it will take a relook at themselves up front first. It will alo take backs and receivers making plays and not turning the ball over.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:34 pm

It seems like they shuffled the line and made some good moves in the spring, such as moving Slaten and Mac to the left side to protect the qbs blind side. Chandler at center seemed to be a good move, as well as Harris moving inside. Despite all this and the offseason training program, I dont see any difference from last year. I dont think any o lineman would say they have done well so far..the question is why? What do you guys who played the position see? Is it size, quickness, togetherness...what?

Postby PK » Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:39 pm

I didn't see the La. Tech game so I don't know how the o-line played, but it sounded like the turnovers were the biggest problem in that game. However, Rick Alonzo in his report said that we played 48 different players in the first quarter...THE FIRST QUARTER! What does that do to the teams ability to get into a rhythm and what affect does that have on the o-line coming together as a unit?

As for the TCU game...either our roster was a lie or their roster was a lie because their defensive linemen looked huge. Bigger than our o-line. TCU's d-line killed us last year and although they lost some seniors, they still have a formidable defense. Once again turnovers killed us. Our defense was trying to keep us in the game, even got the ball back for the offense only to have them go three downs and out again.

This week's game against NCState will be another brutal game. Some how we need to make some big plays early in the game to get our confidence up and get ole "MO" on our side for a change. We need to open up the offense. This three downs in a cloud of dust and then punt is BORING...not to mention totally ineffective.

Get angry Mustangs ... BEAT NCSTATE!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby click » Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:26 pm

Stangaholic,If the offense is not working tell me,where is the problem? I do not think it is with the players.There is no bigger fan of Joey and Mac than me(go back and read my post of the La Tech game).But again as a unit their play is horrible. What would you do to get some offensive production from this team.We are killing the defense,they are on the field 65 to 70% of the game.
click
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2001 12:44 pm

Stop turning the ball over would be a good start...

Postby saguarostang » Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:26 pm

Very valid point Swami, but I do think something else is wrong from what it sounds like. I personally did not play under coach baker, like yourself swami, but he is in charge of the line and so the responsibility does fall on him. I don't understand why the line is not improved and the whole team for that matter. All I know is I am sick of being a doormat. Will someone please help, hell I'll donate my whole bank account of $20 if I have to.
saguarostang
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:44 pm

I did not play under Coach Baker so I have no idea whether he is a good coach or not. You are correct in that they should be improved but are not.

Here are some reasons on why I think so

1) Unproven quarterback...say all you want about Kelan in high school, but this is college. He can do it, but has yet to do so.

2) Unproven O-Line. Yes Slaten and Mack are three year starters but what about the other three. Not many starts under their belt.

3) Lack of a true go to receiver...is it Hamp, Comet JFree,who...when I was there and had some succes on offense we had guys like Thornal, Albert Johnson and even Jacoby.

4) Lack of good pass rush...yes our linebackers are good and secondary decent at best, but we need more pressure on the qb from the four up front. Losing Pratt really hurt. Not having a guy like Luke Johnson anymore hurts as well.

These are just a few observations from the outside looking in. Trust me it is a lot easier to be a fan than it was a player. I still have faith in these guys and coaches. They just need to have a few things go there way and the tide will turn...good luck to all the mustangs. I will be cheering you guys on this weekend!

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:48 pm

I agree - there is some individual talent among this bunch. But I sure miss the days when Austin Adami, Trey Bandy, Bill Holder and the rest were opening holes and keeping the QB's upright. In hindsight, those fellas look like Forrest Gregg.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:47 pm

Heck Austin was probably the best ever according to him.

Postby stangaholic » Thu Sep 20, 2001 11:14 am

BOSELLI RULES!
stangaholic

Return to Football